Staples out Tomorrow !

Options
pegleg
pegleg Member Posts: 139
edited 4. Aug 2012, 07:18 in Living with Arthritis archive
I have 27 staples after my TKR which the nurse is taking out Tomorrow , feel very nervous (only ever had stitches) , the hospital gave me an horrific looking tool to get them out with :o , been told it will stop the pinching once their gone ..............but EEEEEEEK :o

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I had 34 after my first synovectomy and I grizzled like an over-tired three hyear old throughout the whole process. Gawd knows why, it didn't hurt as such but I think it was the thought of it, plus I was still struggling with the early emotional and physical aftermath of pretty major surgery. It wasn't my finest hour. :roll: :oops: I am sure all will be fine - once they are out check with the nurse that it will be OK to gently - and I mean GENTLY - rub in a little baby oil (I used the aloe-vera one) as that will help the scar to heal more smoothly. Bio-oil does the same thing at vast cost. :wink: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • elainebadknee
    elainebadknee Bots Posts: 3,703
    Options
    Pegleg

Youch!! Have they given you a big bit of foam to bite into whilst they do this? I can only the imagine the tool too?
    I hope you get through this okay but yes DOUBLE YOUCH!!

Elainex
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    Options
    In my experience (of both) staples come out more easily than stitches. Stitches sometimes pull a little. If in doubt, take some paindullers beforehand, pegleg, but I hope, and expect, you'll be pleasantly surprised. (But so have something nice to reward yourself with afterwards :wink: )
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • diamond
    diamond Member Posts: 396
    Options
    It is not what i would call painfull to get staples out Peg.When i had mine done both knees they took out every alternate staple and rest were removed following day.If anything it was a relief to get them out.
  • Helenbothknees
    Helenbothknees Member Posts: 487
    Options
    Mine really hurt, partly because the nurse tried too hard to be gentle and took ages - yanking them out and getting it over with would have been better. But yes, it was a great relief to get rid of them.
  • babytiger
    babytiger Member Posts: 360
    Options
    I had 34 staples and boy was it a releif to get them out..adaidn't hurt though. Physio told me to rub E 45 cream into the wound to aid healing and it actually worked ( for me anyway ) good luck x
    Eileen
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi pegleg
    Iv never had staples, but I can imagine how nervous you are...I am sure once they are out you will be so much more comfortable.
    I will be thinking about you...good luck xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Good luck, pegleg, I am sure all will be well and I'm sure you will feel better after it's done. DD
  • stickywicket
    Options
    I'll be thinking of you, pegleg. I'm sure it'll be fine.
    Steven Wright
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    I echo the others you will be fine,let us know how you get on.Mig
  • pegleg
    Options
    Thanks all :D , not going till 3.15 , I'll report back ! xx
  • gretta
    gretta Member Posts: 74
    Options
    I was scared too after my operation last year. But there was nothing to worry about, the nurse was so gentle & i hardly felt a thing. I was surprised when she said they were all out.

Gretta
  • fowls48
    fowls48 Member Posts: 1,357
    Options
    Good Luck Pegleg

Hope all goes well

karen xx
  • marrianne
    marrianne Member Posts: 1,161
    Options
    Good luck Peg leg ,yes seems a good idea to have pain med close to appointment ,mine come out on Friday so will be looking in later I know you will do very well ,Marrianne :)
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,927
    Options
    Hello Pegleg
    it will be fine i did not feel mine come out my tkr is now 9 years old i dont remember how many staples i had.
    take care
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • pegleg
    Options
    All done and totally pain free ! :D , the nurse was fantastic chatting all the time , wound looks great, really well healed and clean , thanks all for the support :D xx
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Well done you! (And the nurse :wink: ) I'm glad it's all done and dusted now, pegleg.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Gosh! I am pleased for you, that is good news indeed. DD
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    Well done,glad it's all over.Mig
  • marrianne
    Options
    very well done Pegleg,hope I am brave to ,Marrianne :)
  • marrianne
    Options
    Hi everyone new knees and old ,Pegleg I hope you went on ok haveing clips out ,my 32 staples came out today ,just before Katherine and Anna got the gold for team G/B...........i Think the lovely nurse rushed the last 11 ...the muscle bit ...... tears stung but the excitment overcame the pain and after all its another milestone ,,,physio called not long after mannaged 95 bend with effort but happier knowing everything is secure .Why do I feel so teary and deflated .Marrianne :(
  • diamond
    diamond Member Posts: 396
    Options
    Well Marrianne that is another thing out of the way your body is still recovering so don't worry about getting teary now and then it is all part of the process.Have a nice weekend.xx
  • marrianne
    Options
    Hi Diamond,Thankyou for yesterday , it was just the overwelming tiredness, I am staying in bed today catching up with reading ,and greatful for little p/c o/h can be brilliant when called upon ,hope you have a lovely weekend to ,.Marrianne :) x