New to all this and not coping very well.

Options
2»

Comments

• kathe
    kathe Member Posts: 183
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Welcome. This forum is soo gr Great having people going true the same thing that understands and support. Because not all friends and family do. Her you can tell and ask about thing. You always get a replay, sometimes you don't get an answer but you get the support. Love this forum.
    Hope you feel better.
  • Kathyjam
    Kathyjam Member Posts: 14
    Options
    A lot can happen in a week it seems, I have my up and down moments with this. I tend to be upbeat but hard when it is so tiring. Not sure if that is a combination of Naproxen and the pain of walking.
    Thanks again for all your replies, it's so nice to know you are out there!
  • Kathyjam
    Options
    Kathy

Re the gym. When you start and they take down your personal detials they should tailor a programme for you mobility needs....For your knees (isnt it) you could go on treadmill but dont run just walk and dont go too fast...Id say cross trainer and recumbent bike are best too as they are non weight bearing machines...There are lots of things in the gym including weights and rower, seated rower...I couldnt do the hip abductor that hurt me lots....
    Re the stick i only got mine off my brother, pinched his hill walking one..You can get from disability places i just use walking pole...

Good luck!

Elainex

Thank you Elaine for the tips for the gym. I enjoyed the power plate the last time I went but will need to check out if I can still use it.
  • Kathyjam
    Options
    kathe wrote:
    Welcome. This forum is soo gr Great having people going true the same thing that understands and support. Because not all friends and family do. Her you can tell and ask about thing. You always get a replay, sometimes you don't get an answer but you get the support. Love this forum.
    Hope you feel better.

Thanks Kathe. I am feeling better than I was as I took two days sick off work. I did a bit of gardening which really helped me mentally and generally took it very easy and watched some of the Olympics.
  • elainebadknee
    elainebadknee Bots Posts: 3,703
    Options
    Kathy

Isnt the powerplate the thing that vibrates like billyo? Not sure? If so i wouldnt say its great but be fab for someone like me with a huge posterior if i could stay on it for more than 5 mins!!

Elainex

Thank you Elaine for the tips for the gym. I enjoyed the power plate the last time I went but will need to check out if I can still use it.[/quote]
  • Kathyjam
    Options
    Kathy

Isnt the powerplate the thing that vibrates like billyo? Not sure? If so i wouldnt say its great but be fab for someone like me with a huge posterior if i could stay on it for more than 5 mins!!

Elainex

Five minutes is a very long time on the power plate and I could only manage a minute at a time. You can also change the amount of vibration. I found it great for lower back pain, you sit on the floor with your back against the base. But this was before my arthritis in my knee.
    Kathy
  • kathe
    kathe Member Posts: 183
    Options
    Kathyjam wrote:
    kathe wrote:
    Hope you feel better.

Thanks Kathe. I am feeling better than I was as I took two days sick off work. I did a bit of gardening which really helped me mentally and generally took it very easy and watched some of the Olympics.

thats great, sometimes ithelps taking a break and doing someting we love and get the maind on other things.
    Hopes it goes better four you.
    Best wicshes.
  • Kathyjam
    Options
    I went back to my GP last night and was very honest about how the oa (my GP believes it is OA rather than RA and gave me reasons why) has been affecting me since my last visit. Thankfully she took me seriously and has referred me to the local muscoloskeletal department and I am going for an xray this week. I have also been in touch with Access to Work and a colleague told me that they will do an assessment of my desk and recommend a special chair and/or footrest (if needed) and the Local Authority who I work for, have to pay. Also, they will help with taxi fares if I have difficulty getting to work. But will wait and see.