do steroids

Options
mig
mig Member Posts: 7,154
edited 30. Jul 2012, 14:01 in Living with Arthritis archive
Do steroids give you a bigger appetite ?I could eat 24 hours a day,I have put on a little weight but I am one of those fortunate people who don't usually,put on about a Stone,I am now 10 Stone.Mig

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Yes, mig, they do. It's always a battle not to overeat when on them. Even my sister's dog was perpetually ravenous.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Mig
    They are renowned for this, so if I was you I would make the most of it, but make it good quality foods...and plenty of veg...listen to me...sorry I do go off on one.
    I do hope they work for you, and you can get some relief xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    They can have that effect - I used to tell myself it was the pills and not a genuine appetite but it was tough going at times. Stick to the crunchy raw vegetables rather than the crunchy fattening biccies - the steroids will add the weight regardless. :roll: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • mig
    Options
    OH POO but i like jung food,i will try to be good.Had to give in and buy some pull on trousers as i was having trouble pulling the zips up and fastening buttons at least thats what i'm telling myself.Now where did i put those crisps. :lol: Mig
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    The crunchy fruit & veg serves two purposes. It allays the hunger but also takes much longer to eat than crisps, biscuits etc so, while you're eating the healthy stuff, you don't have time to eat the non-healthy stuff.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    well you can have odd treat if you eat some of the lovely fruit that is about at moment it a great time to have the munchies but the odd bag of crisps ok just not the full multi pack val
    val
  • suzygirl
    suzygirl Member Posts: 2,005
    Options
    Plenty of fresh fruit and veg along with more protein I found did help a lot. Celery with hummous is a good snack for example.

Steroids are a pain for making you gain weight and retain fluid, try to eat as little salt as possible.
  • mig
    Options
    Being good at lunch time having blt instead of bacon,mushroom and egg.Grilling bacon instead of frying cos i usually dip bread in bacon grease :o :oops: Mig
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    mig wrote:
    Being good at lunch time having blt instead of bacon,mushroom and egg.Grilling bacon instead of frying cos i usually dip bread in bacon grease :o :oops: Mig

well done :D
    val
  • Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    Options
    Oh mig, I know what you mean. I'm constantly starving. I try not to snack between meals, and eat low fat food. All the food I like is fattening. :roll:
    I am at the moment managing to lose a little weight, but it's very hard and very slow. I can however put weight on incredibly fast!
    Like DD, I try to tell myself it's not real hunger, just the steroids. I do find it hard to convince myself though. :lol:
    All the best,
    Numpty
  • mig
    Options
    I dont want any of you to think i am taking this weight gain lightly,it might have seemed like that on my post this morning,i have never in my life been over 10 stone,i am now a nats over 11 stone,being 5foot nine i can carry the extra weight as i looked rather skinny before hand,but i eat from morning till night, though today i have been better but it took a lot of effort.When i eventually stop the steroids will the appertite go and the weight drop off.I am not expecting to stop the steroids till after i have the liver scan at the end of august and i am worried how much weight i will put on till then.Mig
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    You may remember that I weaned myself off oral steroids last year (I'd been taking them for four years) and I took nearly the year to do it. The weight was slow to leave me until I had finished them completely, then it dropped away very quickly. I lost 1.5 stone, my face looked far thinner (I didn't think I had moon face but perhaps I did). Even if you do eat a little more healthily the weight will still go on thanks to the pills - and of course that may damage the joints further. Sometimes we just can't bl**dy win. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben