I guess this is what they call a flare-up?

Options
mrsshazbat
mrsshazbat Member Posts: 61
edited 1. Sep 2012, 12:16 in Living with Arthritis archive
Well after months of discomfort in my right hand (despite a swollen left thumb, I 'only' have no grip in my left one really), I've been in a lot of pain this weekend and last night my sleep was disturbed for the first time. I can sleep on a clothes-line, so this is new. I presume this is a flare-up.

It's easier to describe it as 'everything from the neck down' aches; right shoulder, left elbow, right hand painful, left hand stiff, left knee, lower back, both hips and at least one sciatic nerve, left heel. I have no grip in either hand really, and at the moment am finding it difficult to even use my right one. There's just no strength there. Not good, as I'm right-handed and there are limits to the capabilities of my left hand as a substitute.

I managed to get a new prescription of Diclofenac at short notice from my GP this morning and I've booked in to see someone on Friday 10th (earliest!) as I think I need to start taking it further in terms of what I need to tell work and how I need to approach it with my line manager. Most of the time I wear a bright pink splint on my right hand (not that I'm attention-seeking :wink:), but this gets too much after a while because my thumb aches from being in the same position. As I write this now, I'm touch-typing freely without much difficulty. But today I'm also limping quite pathetically. Stairs are particularly an issue, as was driving. It's the first time in a long time that I've felt this incapable. I also noticed yesterday for the first time that my right hand is swollen compared to my left (apart from the left thumb) particularly just around the thumb joint but also my fingers, because I've had to leave one of my rings off.

I was talking to colleagues about the whole 'invisible illness' thing, and I am of course conscious that I look perfectly normal. Although one of them did say, 'of course you don't look normal, limping like that!' and she had a point. I also didn't realise how it shows in my face, as illustrated the first time I took the Diclofenac when everyone said I looked better, just a day after taking the first ones!

I'm off to Boots to get the drugs in about an hour and hopefully they will kick in quickly. However, the last time they only worked noticeably for about a week. And as painkillers make me nervous when you read about them, I don't like to keep taking them if the pain ultimately diminishes - I'd rather just take them 'on demand' than regularly. When I mentioned this to the GP who called me this morning, he said 150mg of Diclofenac was the most he could prescribe. I don't know whether this is without seeing me, or generally.

I am, of course, guilty of putting work before my health. I'm part of a team, but the only one doing my particular work in a separate office to everyone else, and I already know that none of this will get done while I'm on leave next week, without the complication of taking sick leave right now. In theory I should benefit from the rest, but I also spend time on the PC at home (where I don't have an ergonomic mouse) or laptop and because I know that people know this, and will see me interacting online (and as a previous employer did use this against me) then it looks a bit rich not being at work when I'm paid to do the same thing.

I'm still waiting for a workstation re-assessment. My 6 year old ergonomic mouse has outlived its usefulness now I think.

My husband and I play 'illness top trumps'. He has been treated for bladder cancer during the last year so he beats me hands down, but it is the level of humour we have about the whole thing, so I'm in a good frame of mind about it - at the moment!

Comments

• fowls48
    fowls48 Member Posts: 1,357
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Mrsshazbat

Sorry you are in pain , Hope the meds kick in soon , my fingers and thumbs took ages to go down .Hope you do not get anymore swelling in the hands , its horrific :(

karen xxx
  • heathershepherd
    heathershepherd Member Posts: 8
    Options
    Hi - I had to send a quick reply as I sympathise with you. It's so difficult to try and carry on as normal when inside you are just hurting. So many people around you at work really have no idea that you are in pain at all, as you hardly want to make a noise about it. In fact, you try to cover it up as much as you can, because if someone is sympathetic, I don't know about you, it makes me a bit weepy! I hope you can get your pain under control soon. Just try to think that if it's bad now, then it's likely to get better so this is the worst it will be for a bit. Are you on methotrexate, or just Arthrotec? I have to say I find I can't manage without Arthrotec, despite having had to try various other types of NSIADs, so stick with it if it works for you. Methotrexate definitely helps to start with and for some people continues working for years. Anyway, I just wanted to say that I feel much the same as you - trying to keep working as normal when the things you do every day like using the keyboard are just making you sore. Chin up and take the tablets if they help!
    Best wishes.
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    Hi Mrsshazbat, I'm sorry your dealing with such horrible pain at present, yes it does sound like a flare up. Not to long to see Dr and hope meds are helping. Hope it eases soon you sound like you've been though a tuff one!
  • mrsshazbat
    Options
    fowls48 wrote:
    Hi Mrsshazbat

Sorry you are in pain , Hope the meds kick in soon , my fingers and thumbs took ages to go down .Hope you do not get anymore swelling in the hands , its horrific :(

karen xxx

I am also a Karen :mrgreen:
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I find with a flare that not only do pain levels rise but also tiredness too. I feel quite 'fluey' and achy and can sleep for England. I hope the new meds help and I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • mrsshazbat
    Options
    Hi - I had to send a quick reply as I sympathise with you. It's so difficult to try and carry on as normal when inside you are just hurting. So many people around you at work really have no idea that you are in pain at all, as you hardly want to make a noise about it. In fact, you try to cover it up as much as you can, because if someone is sympathetic, I don't know about you, it makes me a bit weepy! I hope you can get your pain under control soon. Just try to think that if it's bad now, then it's likely to get better so this is the worst it will be for a bit. Are you on methotrexate, or just Arthrotec? I have to say I find I can't manage without Arthrotec, despite having had to try various other types of NSIADs, so stick with it if it works for you. Methotrexate definitely helps to start with and for some people continues working for years. Anyway, I just wanted to say that I feel much the same as you - trying to keep working as normal when the things you do every day like using the keyboard are just making you sore. Chin up and take the tablets if they help!
    Best wishes.

At the moment I imagine it's just NSAIDs for me (Diclofenac 75mg, twice a day) and they do kick in quite quickly so today I'm much better. I guess methotrexate and Arthrotec are for when it's really bad/advanced? I still don't have much strength in my right hand/wrist but other than that, the pain has subsided and I got a full night's sleep last night. I'm a very vocal, open, outgoing kind of person so pretty much everyone knows what's going on in my life. Prior to my husband's diagnosis, I'd just lost my dad to cancer as well and I was very 'out there' about it all. I wasn't overly emotional about it but for me it was better to be open than have someone feel like they'd put their foot in their mouth if they said the wrong thing. I do keep on as normal as I said, but I do work for a good employer and have just done a workstation re-assessment today.
  • Chelle123
    Chelle123 Member Posts: 23
    Options
    Hiya, sorry to hear you are having a flare up. It is so frustrating to have to be off sick when you know how much work you will return to.

Just a thought......have you heard of the Dragon Naturally Speaking Software? I started using it last year due to dyslexia it is brilliant! You can use it for all aspects of computer work, even searching the internet.

I have recently installed it for my son who has SJIA and his wrists are affected. He can now keep up with his homework independently without me having to type for him.

It may be something your company will purchase for you to use at work. It costs around £80...expensive but a good investment.

I hope your Dr's appointment sorts you out.
    Take Care
    Chelle
  • mrsshazbat
    Options
    Well we've just been away for the bank holiday weekend and would you believe it, a flare-up. Not as bad as last time, and possibly due to the change in bed but my lower back/sciatic nerve region were very painful. To the point where I didn't do any driving - as before I've been told not to drive if I don't think I can manage an emergency stop, should the need arise. My wrist has been ok, and I haven't worn my support as much as the week's worn on.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    Options
    Strange beds are rarely arthritis-friendly. I have a shoulder and knee still complaining about the one I gave them last weekend. I hope your holiday was worth it. I know mine was.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Soretoe2
    Soretoe2 Member Posts: 198
    Options
    Hi,
    So sorry you are in a flare up at the moment. Absolutely horrible.
    I just wanted to say you didn't mention if you were taking a PPI (Proton pump inhibitor) with the diclofenic. It's ok to take it for a short while but if you will be taking it long term your doc should precribe you something like Lansoprazole to protect your stomach. It's government guidelines.
    I also wear wrist splints day and night. I am typing this with a pencil with a rubber on the end, as it's just too painful to tap the keys with my fingers. I also have to ram my very painful shoulder up against a huge cushion to hold my neck up. Deary me what a life..
    Good to hear you haven't lost your sense of humour though, despite all you and your hubby are going through.
    Hope you feel a lot better soon, Joy.
  • mrsshazbat
    Options
    I checked up on the Diclofenac with my GP on Wednesday and she didn't offer any additional meds. She did mention Naproxen if I did experience any problems. I've used Diclofenac on and off for over 10 years now, I was checked out for complications with my asthma and haven't had any issues, so they seem happy for me to keep taking it.

I'm typing completely normally at the moment (about 60-70 wpm) and without my support.
  • Soretoe2
    Soretoe2 Member Posts: 198
    Options
    I'm pleased that you checked as an ulcer or stomach inflammation is not nice. I developed an ulcer from Naproxen and can no longer take NSAID's Which is sad as they were quite effective.
    It was also the enteric coated one and still didn't protect me enough.
    I see there is a new post today on the subject of NSAID's and ulcers.
    I also have asthma, which was slightly affected by the Naproxen but not enough to stop me taking it, which did for about 8 years, after many years on a succession of others.
    I wish I could type like you - I'm more a 6/7 word a minute girl - it takes ages I can tell you.
    Hope your flare up is slowing down and you are feeling much better today. Joy.