Being Referred To A Specialist

donkey Member Posts: 6

I have Osteoarthritis, and have been suffering with this now for about the last three years. It is predominently in my hands, but it now feels as though it is progressing into my arms and shoulders. Mainly because when I wake up in the mornings they have really started to ache. I do take pain killers (Nefopam Hydrochloride) one in the morning and one at night. I would say they do ease the pain, but I am never pain free. My question is this, am I entitled to be referred back to the Arthritis specialist when I feel I need to be. Each time I go to the doctors, and say that I feel as though my condition is worsening, they just seem to say in a round about way, that it is part of the condition, maybe try the next lot of pain killers and see how we go fom there. They seem loathe to refer me back to the specialist. Is it within my rights as the patient to be referred? Am I being unreasonable? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Donkey :?


  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,027
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Donkey

    Sorry to hear about the pain you are experiencing.

    You can ask your doctor to be referred to a pain clinic, as well as asking to see a physiotherapist, who would be able to offer some treatment.

    If you haven’t recently, you can ask for x-rays to be done of the affected joints, to see what is going on.

    You are entitled to ask for all of these things from your doctor.

    If you get any difficulties with your doctor you can always speak to PALS (

    You can give us a ring on 0808 800 4050 if you would like to have a chat about this.

    I hope you manage to get something sorted out.

    All the best

    Helplines Team