Thinking ahead..

FernieeM
FernieeM Member Posts: 2
edited 1. Aug 2012, 17:05 in Young people's community
Hi, I'm Fern, today I was diagnosed with Psoriatic Arthritis and I am 15 years old. I was reading my booklet that my Rheumotologist gave me and it said things about wearing protection for sex and stuff because of the medication you'll be taking (I'm not thinking about it for now, but for when I am older) and I started worrying that when I'm older I might not be able to have children (which I would love to do) because it damages the development of the baby. So my question is, will I be able to have children when I'm older?
Thanks for taking the time to read this:)

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello Fern. You are, indeed, thinking ahead and good for you!

I'm by no means a young person but, like you, I was diagnosed at 15 though mine is Rheumatoid Arthritis. The medication is much the same.

There's no need to worry about your ability to have children. It's just that the more usual meds can damage foetuses which is why you've been advised to take precautions so as not to conceive while using them. We actually have quite a few 'forum babies' though and also a few pregnant Mums. What happens is that, when you decide the time is right for you, you come off the more usual meds for a while before trying to conceive and, instead, go onto others. Sometimes these other meds work very well and sometimes not so well but they won't affect the baby.

I was lucky in that my RA just cleared up when I was pregnant with my first. I had quite a rough ride with my second but now they both have children of their own and it's all worked out really well. I hope it does for you too.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Harlansmummy
    Harlansmummy Member Posts: 89
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    As Stickywicket said, it is not so much that you won't be able to have children, but more that it will need to be planned :) When you reach a point where you are ready to conceive, your doctor will be able to put you on medication that is more suitable for pregnancy, whereas at the moment they are giving you the best medication for you
    Twenty-something mother, home educating my wonderful son and currently TTC.

My particular flavour of arthritis is yet to be confirmed