Hi! Spinal arthritis sufferer

Options
13»

Comments

• kentishlady
    kentishlady Member Posts: 809
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Dream Daisy. Thanks for your message. Am sorry to hear that Suzy Girl is in hospital and hope she will be home again soon. If possible, please pass on my best wishes to her. Will try the other forum you mentioned. Many thanks. Beryl (Kentish Lady).
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,424
    Options
    Hi beryl

I will have to see if you have posted on LWA and wish my best to susy too :(

So sorry about the bu-trans. I started on the 5mg like you and soon went up to 10's now I am authorised to increase as and when up to 20mg, but remain as low as possible - I want to have soething up my sleeve :wink: .

In fact l am more than sorry :( I really thought you had hit on the right drug for you too :( In your shoes i would nip to the docs to see what he/she advises - another increase maybe or something for breakthrough pain?

Love and hugs
  • sheenakt
    sheenakt Member Posts: 51
    Options
    Hi Frogmella

I've just had 8 steroids injections in my spine L4/L5 facet joints. The drugs were kennalog and chirocaine, only had them on the 31st October, it seems to have helped a little although it was really done as a diagnostic procedure. Now my consultant is keen to do a procedure of cauterising the nerve endings - I'm not sure I like the sound of it.

I hope you are getting some relief from you pain?

Sheena x
  • PollySid
    PollySid Member Posts: 343
    Options
    8 Sheena? My word, however did you cope with that? I am trying to get up the courage to say ok to one injection in my spine. I think it would only be one anyway, need to speak to the consultant about it. I told him last time that I didn't like the idea of an injection in my spine, so he sent a letter to my GP saying that I needed an operation on it. That scares me too so I am thinking maybe the injection would be the better one to put off the operation.

By the way I have problems in L4 and L5 area and they think I may have cervical myelopathy in my neck too. Having an MRI on that next week.
    My worst pain is in my lower leg - nerve pain like raging toothache.
    It is there constantly now, although the Gabapentin and Co-co's give me a couple of hours relief when it is more bearable.
  • frogmella
    frogmella Member Posts: 1,111
    Options
    My surgeon says he would never do more than 2 rounds of injections - not sure why though!

I asked about the cauterising when I saw him last week and he says it doesn't work. But I know that in the US it is fairly common and does give some people fairly long lasting relief. Funny how they (surgeons) all have their little foibles!

I think having the injections before you opt for surgery is a good idea. The injections are partly diagnostic so will determine the correct problem so that if you have surgery the correct thing is fixed. Also it will give you a window to strengthen muscles that have wasted before surgery. I went into my spine surgery with a weak core and it made my recovery tough - my abs killed as they were taking a lot of strain that they weren't used to! Do you know what surgery he is suggesting?

Good luck.
  • wall1409
    wall1409 Member Posts: 294
    Options
    Arthritis is awful, I want a divorce from it please :cry:

Wendy x
  • sheenakt
    Options
    Actually it was 8 anaesthetic injections followed by the 8 steroid, it wasn't nice - then I thought he'd finished and he hadn't even started the steroid ones. Embarrassing.....

He is a young ish consultant and he tells me that a lot of rugby players have this cauterisation done with good success, hmm well I'll see at my appt this Wednesday.

I'm having a not so goodlday, been for walk (in a walking group every Friday) but it was too painful for me today,

I'm hoping to back to work Monday,

have a good weekend all,

Sheena
  • frogmella
    Options
    I thought afterwards - you mean that you had 8 done at once! doh! I meant that my surgeon won't do the same levels more than twice! I blame the gaba for my brain-foggyness!

I have read that the cauterising lasts quite a while - if your surgeon likes it it is certainly worth a go. Anything is better than this!

Hope you feel better for work on Monday,

Helen
  • sheenakt
    Options
    yes - had them all done in one go - my insurance company will only fund one course anyway so anymore would have to be paid for by myself, I've been going privately. Often they think the injections may introduce infection into a site so that's why a surgeon limits how many sessions they will do, especially if you are going to have surgery in the end. I know that was the case when I was having injections in my hip prior to having my hip replaced in Sep 2011.

good luck, Sheena xx
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,424
    Options
    wall1409 wrote:
    Arthritis is awful, I want a divorce from it please :cry:

Wendy x

Nice one Wendy :lol:

Sheena

Well done you and i agree if the jabs have worked and you are brave enogh why not try the cauterizing.

Love

Toni xx
  • frogmella
    Options
    I am under an insurance co too. When I first authorised they told me I could have up to 8, but within a month the policy changed and now they don't allow any injections at all! Thankfully I got to have mine before the change! I can see me begging them to let me have more, espescially as the chance of problems is so much more with full blown surgery!