gymnastics

Options
mig
mig Member Posts: 7,154
edited 7. Aug 2012, 06:06 in Community Chit-chat archive
I am in awe of these boys and girls,I wouldn't be able to tell if I was on my head or my a##e.Mig

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I agree - they are astonishing with what they can do. It took me years to master a handstand against a wall. I'm not a brave girl. :oops: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options
    mig wrote:
    I am in awe of these boys and girls,I wouldn't be able to tell if I was on my head or my a##e.Mig

Oh I'd definitely be on my a##e if I tried it, mig :lol:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I hope that tkachev will pop in soon to tell us what she makes of it - she used to do this kinda stuff. Deep respect. DD
  • joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    Options
    I think the gymnasts are poetry in motion, and love to watch them. There's a lot in it which is like ballet, very graceful, controlled movement. The English teams did very well this year.
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    I hope that tkachev will pop in soon to tell us what she makes of it - she used to do this kinda stuff. Deep respect. DD

It didn't do me any good did it DD? : ( :cry:

I've been watching every minute of the gymnastics. The standard is so high nowadays and the American women dominate the sport whereas I prefer the beauty and elegance of the Russians.Sadly they made serious errors in the team competition and failed to challenge for gold.

Today is the Women's individual all round and I so hope the Russian girls, Mustafina and Komova ,get back in the right frame of mind but somehow I think it will be both USA girls in the top 3.

Beth Tweddle has a chance of gold in the apparatus finals later on in the week. Lets hope she goes through her bars routine unscathed.

Its also been lovely to see Olga Korbut being interviewed on a couple of occasions.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Mig they are wonderful to watch..I am loving the Olympics...today cycling...hopefully a gold for both the men and ladies...cant wait :D
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    One can be an arthritic without being a gymnast, tkachev - look at me! :wink: I understand that this must be something bitter-sweet for you and even me, a completely numpty about the sport, can only marvel at how the physical skills have developed in the recent years. Surely gymnasts are now reaching the levels of what is physically possible. I noted all the strapping up that goes on now, surely that has to be connected to joint support and trying to prevent joint damage. One thing - I haven't seen that many Tkachevs yet - am I right in thinking that? DD
  • Colin1
    Colin1 Member Posts: 1,769
    Options
    To tell you the truth if i hadent gone in for the rituximab they would have had me on the team. still always the next one
    Colin
    WHEN GOD GIVES YOU LEMONS MAKE LEMONADE
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    I agree the Gymnastics has been my fav so far, The rings and the bars are my fav to watch. The floor work is jar dropping, I even started doing my own commentry to my OH's amusement! And I don't mind if it's the men or Women I enjoy both!
  • tkachev
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    One can be an arthritic without being a gymnast, tkachev - look at me! :wink: I understand that this must be something bitter-sweet for you and even me, a completely numpty about the sport, can only marvel at how the physical skills have developed in the recent years. Surely gymnasts are now reaching the levels of what is physically possible. I noted all the strapping up that goes on now, surely that has to be connected to joint support and trying to prevent joint damage. One thing - I haven't seen that many Tkachevs yet - am I right in thinking that? DD

I agree that they are reaching levels of what is physically possible which is why I haven't enjoyed this Olympics as much as previous. Sometimes you see the same old routines. However the triple back somersault is still rare.

There have been tons of Tkachevs (including piked Tkachevs)both with the mens and womens bar work. :wink: Sometimes the commentaters are struggling to keep up with the gymnasts.

Next time Colin! Only 4 more years to wait.

Elizabeth

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,953
    Options
    They are all so good but i can't help wondering if in time they
    could be on this forum because of all the presure put on their body's.
    when you are young you want to do things good luck to them.
    i hope you are all having a good day.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • tkachev
    Options
    It is the start of the gymnastics apparatus finals today and we have medal hopes with Louis Smith on the pommels.
    I'm looking forward to the womens vault final. The clear favourite is McKayla Maroney of the USA but the vault usually throws up a surprise.

E :D

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    I wondered the same thing Dashshund.Mig
  • tkachev
    Options
    tkachev wrote:
    It is the start of the gymnastics apparatus finals today and we have medal hopes with Louis Smith on the pommels.
    I'm looking forward to the womens vault final. The clear favourite is McKayla Maroney of the USA but the vault usually throws up a surprise.

Surprises indeed.....The favourite sat her 2nd vault down. There were lots of errors, due to the difficulty,but I'm so pleased for Sandra Izbasa of Romania who won gold.

Louis is up next.

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    the lads have done so well silver and bronze
    val
  • tkachev
    Options
    Yes they did brilliantly. I didn't know Max Whitlock had qualified for the pommel finals as so much else was going on during the Saturday team competition so well done to him for securing bronze.

It is Beth Tweddles turn today and she is the highest scorer so far so another gold is possible.

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    I think it's the last of the gymnastics today, I have really enjoyed it, I have never before been into the Olympics I think it was an age thing, but this year I have been glued to it!!
  • tkachev
    Options
    Still more tomorrow Bubbadog. The final 2 womens apparatus, beam and floor and final 2 mens, p. bars and high bar.

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,482
    Options
    It has been fantastic - as has my girls enjoying it like I did as a child :)

Olga Korbut on telly this morning took me right back :D

Toni xxx
  • tkachev
    Options
    She's been on TV quite a lot.Its been wonderful to see her again. Olga was my favourite ,I was never a fan of Nadia.

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein