Numpty does Norfolk

Options
Numptydumpty
Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
edited 3. Aug 2012, 11:46 in Community Chit-chat archive
The reason we went to Norfolk was a fifty pounds win on the lottery. I couldn't think of a nicer way to spend it. We set off in our 1969 MG B, excruciating to get in and out of, but once in, the most comfortable car ever. One small problem, the heater was stuck on. So we opened all the windows and everything was good. The roads were very busy, so my OH decided we should take minor roads, his confidence in my map reading is far greater than my skill, so, yes I got us lost! He says it's impossible to be lost if you have a map. So he was merely going in the wrong direction, I was lost!
After much sighing (him) and swearing (me), we rolled into Blakeney. It must have been quite a spectacle, as I tried to get out of the car after sitting all that time. My OH lifted me under the arms and somehow we managed it! My left knee locked, and my right ankle kept giving way, so it was a strange sort of dance to the restaurant. We had a lovely lunch at the Blakeney Hotel, with the smoothest Merlot I've ever tasted. We sat by the window, overlooking the quay. The tide was out, and a group of children were sliding down the muddy bank into the water. They were black with mud, but their squeals of joy were wonderful to hear. When we came to pay for lunch, I realised I didn't have my purse with me, or the lottery winnings, so OH had to pay. :oops:
After lunch we tootled off to Cley beach. The sun was shining, there was hardly a breath of wind. We walked quite a way along the beach, one part of it was littered with hundreds of star fish. My trusty crutches worked well on the gravel and pebbles.
Back to the car, and a drive around the beautiful countryside before taking the pretty way home. (Yes, I was map reading again).
Just before we got to Kings Lynn, the heavens opened. It poured down! We had to close the windows, remember the heater? Yes it was still stuck on!
Anyway, we had a lovely day and we're still talking.
I'm paying for it today though. I feel as though I've run the marathon, so please be gentle with me :lol:

Comments

• LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Sending you a big hug to help things settle. It sounds like you cut quite the perfect girl in a sports car! Not lost but differently found is how I like to see little 'diversions' to the route.
    Rest up and enjoy the memories LV xx
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi ND
    Thats sounds so lovely, I have never been to that part of the country....now I feel I have to go and see this hotel and sample its food ..and wine of course.
    And in your 1969 MG..thats the year we got married....now I do feel vintage... :lol::lol:
    Love
    Barbara
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    Sounds a lovely day so glad you enjoyed,i have forgotten my purse a few times too :wink::wink: Mig
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options
    Oh Numpty, you’ve brought back such memories! We used to have an ancient MG Magnette in the late ‘60s. A double de-clutch job. Very luxurious interior even if it did, on the widest of roads, require 8 point turns rather than 3. My Uncle, a bit of a fly boy, persuaded a mate to part with it for £160 on our behalf. We loved that car.

Your husband has confidence in your map reading :o ? Mine doesn’t even have confidence in the sat nav’s map reading and is always over-riding it.

I’d love to see the movie of you exiting the car and walking (if that’s not too grand a term :wink: ) to the restaurant. Mr SW has perfected the underarm haul, too. I just wish he would learn to do it without the loud, heartfelt groan.

I don’t remember being offered any of the lovely Merlot (I would have accepted.) I think, at the time, I was leaping up and down in your pocket trying at least to get you to open my humble bottle of cider. Some pocket duties that was :roll:.

You feel like you’ve run a marathon? Numpty, these primadonna athletes have no idea what the real ‘pain barrier’ or the real ‘wall’ is like. You deserve a gold medal for your marathon. And your OH too for his kindness re your map reading. Unfortunately, I don’t seem to have my purse with me. :lol:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    My envy grows ever deeper. To help me feel as though I was there I logged onto Blakeney cam, then the one for Burnham-Overy-Staithe. Blakeney cam gives a view down the High Street to the Quay and the creek and banks beyond. It's mounted on the wall of The White Horse. It will also probably show the Quay full of parked cars - not so pretty. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • fowls48
    fowls48 Member Posts: 1,357
    Options
    The reason we went to Norfolk was a fifty pounds win on the lottery. I couldn't think of a nicer way to spend it. We set off in our 1969 MG B, excruciating to get in and out of, but once in, the most comfortable car ever. One small problem, the heater was stuck on. So we opened all the windows and everything was good. The roads were very busy, so my OH decided we should take minor roads, his confidence in my map reading is far greater than my skill, so, yes I got us lost! He says it's impossible to be lost if you have a map. So he was merely going in the wrong direction, I was lost!
    After much sighing (him) and swearing (me), we rolled into Blakeney. It must have been quite a spectacle, as I tried to get out of the car after sitting all that time. My OH lifted me under the arms and somehow we managed it! My left knee locked, and my right ankle kept giving way, so it was a strange sort of dance to the restaurant. We had a lovely lunch at the Blakeney Hotel, with the smoothest Merlot I've ever tasted. We sat by the window, overlooking the quay. The tide was out, and a group of children were sliding down the muddy bank into the water. They were black with mud, but their squeals of joy were wonderful to hear. When we came to pay for lunch, I realised I didn't have my purse with me, or the lottery winnings, so OH had to pay. :oops:
    After lunch we tootled off to Cley beach. The sun was shining, there was hardly a breath of wind. We walked quite a way along the beach, one part of it was littered with hundreds of star fish. My trusty crutches worked well on the gravel and pebbles.
    Back to the car, and a drive around the beautiful countryside before taking the pretty way home. (Yes, I was map reading again).
    Just before we got to Kings Lynn, the heavens opened. It poured down! We had to close the windows, remember the heater? Yes it was still stuck on!
    Anyway, we had a lovely day and we're still talking.
    I'm paying for it today though. I feel as though I've run the marathon, so please be gentle with me :lol:
    Oh Numpty You Poor Love , I thought you were stepping in for Paul a Radcliffe :) Have a Glass Of Vino .
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,954
    Options
    Hello Numpty
    i hope you are not suffering too much i bet you enjoyed it.
    what a lovely car.
    i bet it felt as if you'd walked a marathon.
    take care and have plenty of rest.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • Numptydumpty
    Options
    Well, I've taken it easy all day, and still feel like....... Never mind though, we have to do these things occasionally, otherwise what's it all for? Anyway, it was definitely worth it. :D

I do feel a little bruised around the pocket area. This is either from someones windbreak, or, stickywicket prodding me with her cider bottle. :wink:

DD I shall log onto Blakeney cam later, and take a look. :D

Barbara, I really can recommend Norfolk, and Blakeney in particular. Parts of Wells are quite stunning too.

LV and mig, thank you for your well wishes.

Joan, yes it is a lovely car, a bit rough around the edges, but that suits me just fine. :lol:

Karen, I will be needing that glass of vino, as my OH has invited his dad over for dinner tonight. Oh joy. :roll: :lol:
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Just the one glass? :? I struggle with that concept. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Numptydumpty
    Options
    Sorry DD, did I say glass? Of course I meant bottle. :roll: :lol: