Shock at Weight Gain

Options
Avrielle
Avrielle Member Posts: 182
edited 5. Aug 2012, 08:49 in Community Chit-chat archive
Hello folks and folkettes. Been to the doctots today to see the nurse for my first cervical screening. All was fine until she asked me to hop on the scales... What a shock!

I never take note of my weight, but I've never been slim, always been a bit overweight. I know I put some weight on, but had no idea how much, but I certainly was not prepared for this!

The nurse was really concerned because I have put on 30lbs in 6 months! It would appear that one of my tablets is the culprit by causing increased appetite, but I honestly hadn't noticed!

I'm over 17st. My waist is 48inches!! My BMI is 39!!! Healthy BMI is supposed to be between 19 and 25. My healthy weight should be about 12st.

I'm terrified of my big belly now! I'm scared I'll drop down dead from a heart attack or something! I was given a leaflet from the pharmacist and in it, it basically says that I'm at very high health risk and putting lots of strain on my heart!

This is scary.

But I'm not really able to do much excersise due to pain in my foot and knees, and no one is comfortable giving me an excersise regime at the moment due to my lack of fitness. So I'm on a strict diet now. Just had chicken salad for dinner and will have to cut out pretty much everything I enjoy! This sucks. :-(
Life is just a ride. Up and down, round and around, thrills and chills, very brightly coloured and very loud. But don't ever be afraid, because it is just a ride.

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    You can do it, Avrielle. You strike me as someone who can do most things she puts her mind to. We have some successful dieters on here, including a lady in a wheelchair. Good luck!
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    Options
    Avrielle, don't beat yourself up and don't panic. You can't change things overnight and if you cut everything out and be super strict you'll find it even harder. Take things one step at a time, cut down on things that you shouldn't have and increase things that you like which are healthy and make the transition over time. I would never have dreamed I could eat like I do now (I taste the rainbow of fruit and veg, whopping my five a day). Little things like cutting sugars out of brews and drinking skimmed milk are quite easy and make quite a difference. if you are kind to yourself you will get there. You can do this. Love, LV xx
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • jillyb1
    jillyb1 Member Posts: 1,725
    Options
    You can definitely do this , Avrielle , I did and also can't exercise as I'm a wheelchairer . Chicken , fish ,salads and lots of fruit and vegetables ; cut out the sweet stuff and dairy . Good luck , you'll feel so much better for it too , I only managed to lose 1 or 2 lb a week so it took me about 16 months to lose my 5 stone . I love my food so if I could do it ; you will too ! Jillyb
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    what a shock keep moving even gentle foot and hand movements better than nothing treat your self to fruit that is a treat make it special so you look foward to it do not be to hard on your self or you will not stick to it and if you do have a little laps it not the end just a small blip good luck val
    val
  • elainebadknee
    elainebadknee Bots Posts: 3,703
    Options
    Avrielle

Dont be so hard on yourself didnt you have a house problem just a few weeks ago?

I was over 17stone too and have lost over 3.5stone its all about eating less, making better choices and exerfcising a bit more, if that be a swim or gym....Even a gentle walk if you can with your feet and lknees will allow will do you good..

No panick !!

Elainex

Pss...My BMI will always show me as OBESE even after my weight loss, its just a number!
  • resusjan
    resusjan Member Posts: 290
    Options
    Hi Avrielle,

I know the feeling, I put loads of weight on when first started on RA meds. Like you, I can't exercise much and think that was the main problem.

Two weeks ago I bought the Rosemary Conley Inch Loss Plan book, ordered it online. I have followed it for the past two weeks and lost 7lbs the first week and 5 lbs the second week! Absolutely amazed with that. I've still got two stone to lose but the 12lbs in two weeks has really kickstarted me. I'm not doing any of the exercises she recommends in the book so have lost it just by doing the diet part. Not trying to preach, and certainly don't know how well I'll carry on with it, but just wanted to say, this diet has worked fab for me (so far).
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    A strict diet is the best thing you can do so go for it.

Its very easy to put the pounds on but not so easy to lose especially as exercise is so difficult for any of us.

I wish you well.

E :D
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,482
    Options
    Hi Avrielle

Poor you what a shock that was :(

I am sure you can do it too. I have every faith in you. My Sis lost 6 and a half stone and she has arthritis too.

Don't be too hard on yourself - look what you've done this year already! You can do this and you will.

Love luck and hugs

Toni xxx
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Avrielle
    I do feel for ..its such a shock when you get on the scales, I am on a couple of meds that put weight on, and its such a struggle...but you will get there, like our Elaine has done.
    Good Luck with it all x
    Love
    Barbara
  • Avrielle
    Avrielle Member Posts: 182
    Options
    Thanks folks. I will be officially starting my diet in about a week when my next payment comes through so i can work out meal plans.

It was a big shock and I will be seeing my GP. See if I can be put back on to my old anti-depressant rather than this one which is the main cause for the weight gain.

Wish me luck! Xxx
    Life is just a ride. Up and down, round and around, thrills and chills, very brightly coloured and very loud. But don't ever be afraid, because it is just a ride.