Converted Olympic Cynic

Options
dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 6. Aug 2012, 09:43 in Community Chit-chat archive
Yup, for the time being that's me (I'm Piscean, OK? :wink: ) I was not that impressed by the opening ceremony but, since the proper games began, well I admit I have had to eat my cynical words time and time again. I don't know about the Beijing Olympics etc but I am very fond of the idea of the special stamps and gold-painted post-boxes. I am impressed by the magnanimity of the Brits who came second or third, and the humble nature of those Brits who claimed gold. The settings are also wonderful, especially the beach volleyball in Whitehall (mind you the men should wear budgie-smugglers in the interests of gender equality). There are faults and problems but, somehow, the whole thing has come together in a feast of something interesting, quirky and special. DD

PS I reserve the right to utterly change my tune come November when the hardy winter weeds are sprouting here, there and eeverywhere and obesity levels have risen thanks to the watching sofa-surfers (of whom I am one).
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Yes DD, I agree with you ( especially about the male beach volleyball players :lol: )
    I was somewhat cynical at the start of the Olympics, but I'm also converted. To see the athletes achieving their medals and everything they have worked so hard for is very inspiring.
    Also, I've actually enjoyed watching football for the first time because of the excellent women's team. The hockey has been exciting too, but seems to bear no relation to the game as I knew it at school. The rules have changed, but then it was many moons ago when I was captain of the 2nd Eleven. Jolly hockeysticks :!: :lol:
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    must admit am loving it from canoing to sailing boating even archery been great and to see how much out team put into it and how they interact with the volunteers is lovely ok we knew we could not win all the medals but those we have are special we are not a large country but do our best val
    val
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    Its been a very successful games and the crowds have been magnificent. Its such a shame about all the empty seating but at least the athletics was full to the brim.

Elizabeth (fellow Piscean) :D
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • suzygirl
    suzygirl Member Posts: 2,005
    Options
    As a fellow piscean, I have to agree with the right to change your mind. The opening ceremony converted my cynical soul. :D
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    So you are back Tods!

I can assure you that many people living outside the uk are very aware of the NHS. I cannot believe you wrote that. Made me laugh anyway. Thanks for that. Still laughing. :D:D:D

Of course the women taking part are fit and of course the men love to watch them all. Why ever not? We love to watch them too. :wink::D Why ever not?

Elna
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    You opinions never "hurt" me Tods. :wink: No nervous laughing. I laughed so much which triggered endorphin activation. :lol: Thank you. :D

Turning the tables, how can you assure me that the NHS is not known outside the UK. I am not British through and through and know people outside of the uk and they most definitely know about the NHS. they know more about Britain and its history than I know myself!

Enjoy your olympics viewing, I shall :D

Elna
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    bet a few of the triathlon rides needed the nhs after all the falls this morning
    val
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options
    I’ve not watched much. I’ve enjoyed the bits I’ve watched but couldn’t get absorbed. (Cricket still wins hands down.)

I agree with Joan about the women’s footie. It was a slower game than the men’s but, to me, the passing was more accurate. No, Tody, I don’t think they’re trying to simulate male behaviour at all. I saw no spitting and no rearranging of the contents of their shorts and far fewer egos on display. However, - and here’s a first for you – I agree with you :shock: that the NHS thing just seemed plain muddled.

I have mixed feelings about top level sport these days as I think sport should be about keeping fit and healthy while having fun. The only ones who seem to have fun at top level are the winners and the no-hopers who are just glad to be there. It can’t be much fun to fail after dedicating four years of your life to being at peak performance for a few minutes.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    The NHS debacle at the opening ceremony was a disgrace. It harked back to an ideal which no longer exists thanks to the shameless abuse of the system by patients who arrive, demand and receive treatment then leave without settling their bills, and the non-medical jobsworths that manage (and I use the word very loosely) it. The NHS is now a place where patients die through lack of food and water, where a dying woman is shoved around in her bed whilst workmen install TV facilities, where people who are less than fluent in the language administer 'treatment' and 'care' and where those with genuine medical needs (either for themselves or their relatives) become ensnared in a beaurocratic nightmare. This management-bloated, lethargic, understaffed (by those who matter) and leaden system needs a complete re-think and overhaul.

Anyhoo, back to the original theme (if I may) - one of my favourite moments today was the blonde in the two-woman sculling thing who, on passing the finishing line just sat with her mouth wide-open in an astonishing picture of sheer disbelief. And then the women's cycling trio obliterating the Yanks. Utter, utter bliss. (I apologise for the lack of precise details viz names etc, it's been a rough day). DD
  • Susiesoo
    Susiesoo Member Posts: 358
    Options
    Referring to your original theme, DD, I couldn't agree more. The whole Olympics thing is just wonderful. The world doubted us, but we are showing them we can do it. And London looks sensational. Well done to all concerned!

Susie :P
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Wow! Wasn't last night astonishing? Jess, Mo and Greg did their utmost and won. Fan-tab-u-lous! (And I don't like athletics. :wink:) DD
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Glad you are enjoying them DD..must agree on the NHS thing it did make me laugh...all the nurse jumping up and down on the beds....what beds and we dont have that many nurses :lol: ...yeah it did remind me of the 1960s when I was in hospital.....
    But the games are fantastic...wish I could have been there..
    Love
    Barbara
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options
    barbara12 wrote:
    the NHS thing it did make me laugh...all the nurse jumping up and down on the beds....what beds and we dont have that many nurses :lol:

Oh Barbara, that's priceless :lol: Maybe we should ask if the local hospitals can have the beds and nurses now that they've finished with them.

Mike Vaughan has just pointed out that Yorkshire are 8th in the Olympics' medals table :D
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    I started watching the Olympics with Mexico and have been an avid fan ever since. All opening ceremonies contain local/ national references which need further explanation, if you watch the previous opening ceremonies there is a constant running commentary giving information throughout otherwise I'd have no idea what was going on! I'm sure all the national commentators are given information to keep their audience clued up.
    The USA go for razzmatazz and flying men, Greece emphasised its link with the original games, mythology and Gods and Barcelona had its Spanish flamenco and Catalonian climbers. Most contain singing, dancing in unison, flag waving, animals (usually doves) and a bit of history so I saw no difference with our opening ceremony.

I understand our NHS is very well known overseas.

E :D
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • kellerman
    kellerman Member Posts: 741
    Options
    Off topic sort of. In the early days when I started working for the NHS we had Matrons. We also had SRN''s and SEN's.
    All hands on nursing. Now we have Ward managers who are counted in the numbers but are forever going off to meetings about goodness knows what and as a Staff nurse I found I was forever pen pushing in triplecate.
    SEN's have been now replaced by nursing assistants who are cheaper to employ.
    I'm pleased to be out of it now...its not what I trained for.
    Yes....people from other countries are well aware we have this free service and yes it does need a good a good shake up or why not just return to the one we started with.
    I'm afraid I didn't watch the opening of the games so don't know how this was portrayed but now I am watching some of it even the things I wouldn't normally watch.In fact I'm getting quite involved and willing on our athletes. May
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I like the way you highlight the bit that suits your 'argument'. The NHS is owed a huge sum of money by 'health tourists' (I believe that's the current term) who take what they can then won't pay (i.e. theft) and who cannot be chased or even traced. The rose-tinted spectacle (see what I did there? :wink: ) harked back to an ideal that no longer exists unless one has the resources to go private - where oddly enough you can see the same doctors. I used to teach in a state primary school but never took one or two days a week to trot off to the local private one because that option did not exist, or vice versa. The medical world is an odd one where you can do the same job under two systems. Would I consided gong abroad to get my knees done? You bet, but I can't afford it. I've been refused knees for at least another year but if I saw that ortho privately he would do them.

Wasn't Saturday night great? In fact the whole of Saturday was pretty good in terms of performances and medals. And as for Bolt - fantastic! DD