Cycling info please

Options
stickywicket
stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
edited 6. Aug 2012, 13:51 in Community Chit-chat archive
That race where both competitors start by doing nothing, or at least by going as slowly as possible without falling off - can anyone tell me why?

I can't think of any other discipline where one competitor (out of a total of two) is given the twin advantages of inside lane and starting first but chooses to hang around with their head back to front.

I'm sure there's good reason and that it's probably something to do with acceleration but you don't see Usain Bolt trying it or Formula 1 drivers. What's so different about cycling?
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
Steven Wright

Comments

• LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I can't understand any of this cycling one...I gave up and focused on enjoying strapping lads in Lycra- all the chaps I see cycling on the roads near me are middle aged and that Lycra get up doesn't look half so good on them :lol:
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Ah LV, I think you're talking about MAMILs, a new type of human masculinity viz Middle Aged Men in Lycra. Sticky, I know the one you mean, isn't it a sprint-type thing? Hence the hanging around with the backward head then hell-for-leather over the last few metres. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    But why,they might fall off,more Lycra,anyone see mens coxless 4 get their medals,one was excited to get his medal or he is well endowed. :shock: :o :oops: Mig
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    Options
    It's questionable the ,asculine bit looking and some of the cyclists near me.

Wonder if the cox less 4 presentation is on Iplayer. I'm still struggling with Chris Hoy having 27 inch thighs :o
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Mig! Behave! :wink: As for the 27" thighs I reckon there must be bigger ones around the Olympic Village than that, e.g. heavyweight weightlifters. I used to have a 27" left knee . . . . . . :shock: DD
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Ladies! Ladies! I ask a perfectly reasonable question and it instantly deteriorates into a mass letching session :shock:

LV – we do sometimes get some decent lycraed cyclists round here. Unfortunately Mr SW always manages to overtake them instantly whereas he invariably gets stuck behind the lumpy old codgers for miles.

I still don’t know the answer. I’m damn sure none of the 100m finalists will hang about backwards though.
    Steven Wright
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    know the one you meen does not make sence if they only going to cycle the last lap why not make it a single lap race would save loads of time to look at lycra sure that where some of them keep there football socks.
    why do some of the teams (women as well) have out fits that look like they have wet them selves val
    val
  • mig
    Options
    Think its extra padding to protect their bits,those seats could do you an injury.Mig :?
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Then there's the other race where they all have to play follow-my-rather-slow leader for the first several laps until the leader goes away and they can start racing. What's that all about? Why not just reduce the length of the race?
    Steven Wright
  • mig
    Options
    Because a man thought it up,makes sense then.Mig
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Oh come on, you lot! Doesn't anyone know? I'd genuinely like to know the answer.
    Steven Wright
  • mig
    Options
    Lets all google it,i did to find out what the omnium was all about.Mig
  • mig
    Options
    So i googled it and as far as i can understand it is to do with aerodynamics,i suppose its how the draft pulls the one behind up to the first one,all gobble-de-gook.Mig
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I thought the omnuim was to do with six races where you try to score points but no too many. I think they're on one now and you get eliminated if you pass the line last (or summat). Now they're down to two and one is ours: she has to finish first. And . . . . . she's won the elimination race and wins one point! She's in the lead as she's won two of the three events and so has a small score. Yup, invented by a bloke. DD
  • stickywicket
    Options
    I've looked it up and still don't understand. Not to worry. It's nearly over for another 4 years.
    Steven Wright