Synchronised swimming for men

Options
joanlawson
joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
edited 12. Aug 2012, 05:48 in Community Chit-chat archive
Synchronised swimming remains a sport which is closed for men at the Olympics. There are all-male teams competing in countries all around the world. However, the governing body for worldwide aquatic sports competition, La Fédération Internationale de Natation (FINA) maintains synchronized swimming is for women-only, forbidding male synchronized swimmers from competing at the highest levels.
We now have women competing in sports like boxing, which were previously considered for men only, so why not male synchronised swimming :?:

Joan
c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif

Comments

• mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Why not,in this age of equality women will try anything so why not men.mig
  • mig
    Options
    Watched the ladies synchronized swimming they looked amazing how they manage to do it I don't know they must be powerful,I would like to see men do it.mig
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    Options
    Sexism is Ok so long as it's aimed at men and if your white and male and living in the UK then your well and truly at the back of the cue for most things, but if it were included I'd give it a go Joan but only if the pool was filled with beer.
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    they should be allowed to do it why is it in Olympics if every one not allowed to enter equality for all sport for all
    there not enogh beer in the country for that mel you would drink it dry
    val
  • joanlawson
    Options
    mellman01 wrote:
    Sexism is Ok so long as it's aimed at men and if your white and male and living in the UK then your well and truly at the back of the cue for most things, but if it were included I'd give it a go Joan but only if the pool was filled with beer.

It does seem to be a sexist decision to exclude male synchronised swimming from the Olympics, so perhaps things will change by the next Olympic games.
    Synchronised swimming is like a mixture between gymnastics, swimming, and ballet, all of which men do very well, so I think they should be represented at the Olympics.

Mell, I can just imagine you, Tony, and Len swimming around in perfect unison in a pool filled with beer :shock: :lol:
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    joanlawson wrote:
    Mell, I can just imagine you, Tony, and Len swimming around in perfect unison in a pool filled with beer :shock: :lol:

:o I'm not even sure I want to try to imagine that, Joan.

I'm sure synchronised swimming is all you say it is and technically very demanding. I really don't see why men should be excluded. However, I just find it odd and slightly ridiculous. I still tend to think of it as 'formation drowning'.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • mig
    Options
    Would men be able to smile all the time like the women do.Mig
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Depends how tight the cozzies are, mig.
    Steven Wright
  • joanlawson
    Options
    Depends how tight the cozzies are, mig.

I must admit that my enthusiasm for male synchronised swimming is not entirely without that in mind :lol:
  • mig
    Options
    The thought never entered my mind.Mig
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    If you can have horses dancing to music then why not men in the pool? Sounds like a good idea.

Elizabeth :)
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    This is a new one on me....I didnt even know men did synchronised swimming...why on earth are they not allowed...very strange... :roll:
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Think of the make-up. Yup, the waterproof mascara etc. I understand that synchronised swimming is a demanding sport but honestly - blokes doing ballet-type-stuff in water whilst smiling fit to burst to order? :shock: There are things that men do and women shouldn't attempt (which are far too numerous to mention but include boxing and footie) and things that women do and men should not, namely periods, gestation and synchronised swimming. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • joanlawson
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    Think of the make-up. Yup, the waterproof mascara etc. I understand that synchronised swimming is a demanding sport but honestly - blokes doing ballet-type-stuff in water whilst smiling fit to burst to order? :shock: There are things that men do and women shouldn't attempt (which are far too numerous to mention but include boxing and footie) and things that women do and men should not, namely periods, gestation and synchronised swimming. DD

Sorry DD, but I enjoyed watching the women's footie far more than I ever do watching men play. Football usually bores me to tears, but I thought the women played brilliantly. I'm not a fan of boxing for men or women, but there are some very good female boxers these days.

I love ballet, and some of the male dancers are fantastically athletic as well as very graceful, so I imagine that male synchronised swimmers would be very similar. I'm not sure about the make-up, but I gather that the sport is very popular with the gay community, so why not?
  • stickywicket
    Options
    I'm a female footie convert, too, Joan.

As for ballet - we were taken, from school to watch Peer Gynt when I was 14. The female dancers did nothing for me but the way John Gilpin leapt about so athletically and gracefully had me hooked for life.
    Steven Wright