Lost our dog (everything happened so quick)

Options
justinbarrow
justinbarrow Member Posts: 338
edited 27. Aug 2012, 15:57 in Community Chit-chat archive
I posted in this forum a few weeks back about our lovely golden retriever and his ill health but felt this needed a new topic listing.......

We have lost our dog and best friend of 12 years 3 months. Feel absolutely gutted at how he went and cant get over how sudden it was. He was diagnosed with a tumour in his mouth 16 months ago and we was told at that time to enjoy him while we can, as the months passed he was coping fine.

However on Sunday we watched the Olympics closing ceremony which finished at half past midnight and after this finished let the dog out like normal before we went to bed.

We then got up Monday morning at half 6 (just 6 hours after) to find he had had accidents in the house at both ends we then went to let him out where it was apparent that he could hardly move his back legs and was stiff but he managed to go outside while we cleaned up the house. As the morning progressed he got worse so we called the vet as we could not get the dog to them as he could not get up. The vet came and did the necessary checks and prescribed 10 tablets of previcox (227mg) once a day for the next 10 days. Previcox we were told is an anti-inflammatory drug for arthritis and was told to give it 2 days for it to get into his system and see some improvement.

We knew he was ill as he would not take the tablet (wrapped in bread with some meat) and had to sit him up to eventually take it which he did bless him. he slept for most of the day but it was half past 10 that night he started to pant and vomited a bit of blood but what was strange is that he started to walk again and although he was sick blood again before he could get outside he managed to get outside to toilet. Then things got worse when we went to let him in as he just laid there and couldn't move his back legs, it was like he was saying leave me here he could not move his back legs and could only move his front ones and we eventually got him back in the house.

It was after 30 mins he walked again like nothing was wrong and came to see me and the wife and went for a drink himself we both said to each other those tablets seem to be working but then he came back into the room and just collapsed on the floor and to cut an even longer story short after a further 10 mins he was vomiting blood but worse, we called the emergency vet only to be told they don't come out after hours and that we will have to take the dog to them which was around an 8 mile journey and at a cost of £175 before treatment (the cost wasn't an issue) it was the fact that we couldn't move him as he was in discomfort and starting to cry when we tried to lift him. We then phoned the so called emergency vet back to be told to keep him comfortable until the morning....

It was the longest night ever - me and my wife both slept with him but at around 3am in the morning he started to howl loudly (it was awful) but again he could not move I called the emergency vet again who just wanted us to bring the dog into them which was impossible to do. Anyway he started to go quiet and started to fall into a deeper sleep (Now I think back believe he probably went into some type of coma) as he remained in the same position right through until 8 in the morning until he started to cry again we calmed him down but now noticed that his eyes remained shut then his legs started to move like he was paddling I couldn't get my head around this as it showed he could move his legs then his stomach moved rapidly and he was trying to vomit again, luckily we were with him all the time and managed lift his head with my hands were he was sick blood again.

We then had a call at half 8 from the vet who had the details passed on from the overnight vet asking if we still wanted a vet to come out, Obviously we said yes and was told he would be 20 minutes.

During this 20 mins the poor dog started to fit like a flapping fish and I had to hold his head to stop him smashing it on the floor, I could not get over how much strength there was at this point. My wife then called the vet during this moment but they could not say when they will arrive but our loving dog started fitting more violently again and had to hold his head it was around 5 minutes when then his breathing started to slow and his stomach movement started to slow that we knew we was losing him....Our dog then stopped breathing and died.

What annoys me is that the vet then arrived a further 20 mins after (45 mins in total from requesting a visit) to find me and my wife cradling our beloved dog on a blood stained carpet.

I still cant comprehend what had happened to our dog and why everything happened so quick but after a day I called the vet to try and get some answers and whilst talking to the vet they think that our dogs cancer had spread aggressively. But why would such a thing affect his legs.

We are so numb after an experience we will never ever wish to go through again and one we will never forget - I would like to say our dog went peacefully but after going through what we did with him seem unsure.

It was the worst night ever.

You buy pets and never think to realise what their final day will be like and I just hope our dog thinks we helped him but the way he went feel like I have let him down with everything happening so quickly.

Comments

• Tubby
    Tubby Member Posts: 177
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I am so sorry to hear about your dog - what an awful experience. Our dog is 12 but thankfully still bouncing around ( he is a Jack Russell). I can't believe the vet wouldn't come out, it seems very cruel on their part.
    All I can say is, I have had many dogs (horses, rabbits etc) throughout my life and I am happy to say I have loved knowing everyone one of them. Their passing is always sad and sometimes traumatic but I would not have missed being their friend for the time they were with us.
    I hope things feel a little better for you and your wife soon and that it isn't too long before you can remember the good times with your dog and smile.

Tubby
  • friarygirl
    friarygirl Member Posts: 36
    Options
    so sorry. the details are harrowing to read and so hope you have some support locally to overcome the trauma you experienced. Slow recovery so look after yourselves and try if possible and get some rest. FG
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,425
    Options
    Oh you poor poor people

I have just bawled my eyes out all through reading your post.

The most dreadful experience ever :( .

WHat wonderful people you two are to have done all this for your beloved boy. You did the right things every step of the way and there was nothing you could have done more (the vets jolly well COULD!). It is the last duty of good owners who took a young animal into their lives and family. You did it right you really did and you did not let him down.

Your beautiful boy knew you were there and would have felt your love and caring for him it will have reassured him it will trust me. He is not in pain any more now, which is good and something you have to cling to. In time the agony you feel and nausea, about how he died, will not be with you every second of the day.

I promise.

Strength and love coming to you both.

Love

Toni xx
  • justinbarrow
    Options
    Thanks for the replies...We just cant believe that its now 48 hours since things started to get unbearable. I just hope and prey that he was unconscious towards the end. I certainly wouldn't wish what we had to go through on my worst enemy. Luckilly our youngest child who is 10 was picked up by his nanna before the end which we are thankful for.

Typing all these posts pouring my heart out...thinking what ifs.

The most shocking thing was the speed that he deteriorated from his final walk to being gone was just short of 10 hours. Some people have said they wouldn't of let it get so bad but less than 24 hours prior to everything he was normal as can be and showing no signs of pain, walking, eating and drinking.

We think, well it is obvious that there was something else going on inside and that something we will never know but think it may of been cancer. Even the VET thought it was arthiritis when he prescribed tablets I keep thinking was it the tablet but the vet assured me that it wouldn't of been as he had had them a few months before without any probs.

our eldest child is 18 and was with us at the age of nearly 6 when we bought him as a puppy and he was also there with him at the end :(

I just hope he wasn't aware of what was going on at the end the vet has since re-assured us that he wouldn't of been but its something we will never know.

We feel like we let him down with him having to go on his own, cant hardly see the keyboard now with tears
  • Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    Options
    You certainly did not let him down. You did all you could. I'm sure he knew how much you loved and cared for him.
    You have been through a dreadful ordeal, which will take a long time to recover from. Given time, I'm sure your memories will be of the good times you had with your beloved friend.
    Thinking of you,
    Numpty
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    oh dear :( what a sad post :(

I am so very sorry for you and your family and send you all gentle (((((((())))))))))

Love Juliepf x
  • suzygirl
    suzygirl Member Posts: 2,005
    Options
    So sorry to read this. You loved your dog and did everything you could for him. I can't believe a vet wouldn't come out to you.
  • frogmella
    frogmella Member Posts: 1,111
    Options
    How sad. I am sorry that it happened that way. I am sure he would have known you were there for him at the end. It is horrible when our pets die.

I am thinking of you.

Froggy
  • justinbarrow
    Options
    suzygirl wrote:
    I can't believe a vet wouldn't come out to you.

Neither can we - do vets actually come out at night? Makes me sick all the money they charge but yet if a farmer had an animal in distress they would go out to that.

To ring the vet at 2 am to be told "what do you want me to do about it" and try and wait until the morning is unacceptable in my view. Ok it would of been different if he was a small medium dog but the problem is his size and what he was going through.

Whilst on the phone to the so called "on call" vet he said he probably doesn't want to move if he is in pain but in reality he couldn't move due to more serious issues when I mentioned he was vomiting blood he said well that explains as the tablet would of come up and not be working...No matter what I said he did not want to know.

He asked me to look at his gums and press on them to see if there was white spot where i pressed which there was but by around half 7 his gums were going grey.

the vets attitude makes me sick.
  • georgie66
    georgie66 Member Posts: 403
    Options
    ahh justin i am so sorry to here about your dog..
    we are big dog people so know just how you must be feeling.
    you did all you could for him and he knows that..
    huggs )))))) going your way
    georgie
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    I am so sorry Justin. you did everything you could and were with him throughout. I hope in time you will remember the better times you spent together.

Elizabeth :(
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Thanks for the replies...the vet has since re-assured us that he wouldn't of been but its something we will never know.

We feel like we let him down with him having to go on his own, cant hardly see the keyboard now with tears

No Way did you let him down Justin and he wasn't alone....you were THERE for him. I tend to believe the cancer idea is a strong possibility. The hearing is the last thing to go and he will have known you were there for and with him.

Love hugs and strength

toni xxx
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    I am so very sorry to here this, it brought back such bad memories of our Jack Russell...she was back and forwards to the vets, she had a tumour in her nose...we were told she could go on for a couple of years on the tabs.. to cut a very long story short...yes we had a awful night with her wailing, and couldnt get a vet to come out.
    I would love some of these vets to have night staff on duty...you poor things had to go through all that....has we did....
    I understand some of what you are feeling right now. and I will be thinking about you...it will be a long journey for you, heres some hugs to keep you going (((((((())))) xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,931
    Options
    Hello Justin.
    i'm so sorry to read about your golden retriever i think you were treated bad you did everything for your lovely dog it was not your fault.
    my treacle(dachshund) had cancer in her spleen and liver the vet said take her home and give her what she wants after a fortnight i found her lying in the living room all the morning
    i took her to the vets i did not want her to suffer no more she was 12 years old that was five years ago.i now have another rescued dachshund who's 12.
    take care you loved your dog.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    Justin you did everything you possibly could for your lovely dog, you didn't let him down at all and most importantly you were with him till the end. Even if the vet had come he may not have been able to prevent his final hours.

I'm so sorry that you lost him but you could do no more than you did. :(

Luv and hugs,
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • justinbarrow
    Options
    Thanks so much for your kind words, we were all at the table eating tea this evening and it got to us all as he always used to be there. Just want his ashes back so we can bring him back home.

Thanks again everyone.
  • joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    Options
    I'm so sorry that you have lost your beloved dog, Justin, and that the vet wasn't more compassionate and helpful. I really don't understand how the vet could have just left an animal in such pain or told you to bring him in to the vet's surgery. You did absolutely everything you could for your dog, so you mustn't feel that you let him down.

It's always such a sad time when a beloved pet dies, and it will take a while for you to come to terms with your dog's death. I still grieve for all the cats I've had over the years, but I try to remember all the happy times with them. Dogs and cats are part of the family, so we miss them terribly when they die. You will never forget your dog, but your grief will ease in time.
    Take care
    Joan
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • frogmorton
    Options
    HI Justin

I just wanted to call in to see how you are all doing today. I am sure things are all still desperately raw, but wanted you to know I haven't forgotten you all.

Love

Toni xx
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    Options
    Justin, I apologise, I only got a bit of the way through your post, it made me cry. I am so deeply sorry to hear of your loss. I nearly lost my 2 year old dog a month ago from a dose of poisoning - it broke my heart to come close even.
    It may not help but look up Rainbow Bridge - I find it a beautiful concept and I know my old lady who I lost a few years back is waiting there for me.
    Much love to you and yours at this difficult time - they are family and friends rolled into one and never once pass judgement on your (except if tea is late).
    Lots of love LV xx
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    Options
    I have two dogs both real characters and both loved oh so much so I have a deep empathy with you, the thing is don’t blame or beat yourself up over this you did what any decent caring owner would do for the beloved pet, that’s all you can do the rest is just how it can goes it’s the down side of being a caring and devoted dog owner like you are, you did what you should the rest of it was out of your hands so please don’t blame yourself over this your dog wanted for nothing and only ever asked for a loving home where it could feel safe and part of the family pack and that you provided and so much more during its life with you, the vet however let you down badly so I’d find another one if you ever have another pet in the future, you did nothing wrong at all here in fact your post shows how decent an owner you were as you loved them as much as you do your own flesh and blood, this is the part people who’ve never owned a dog will never understand, a dog is so much more than four paws a wet nose and a wagging tail, they get under your skin in a way only owners know, and over time they become true characters in their own right and have habbits good and bad like humans do, they make us laugh and cry and can drive us nuts by digging up the flower beds or spraying md all up the hall walls when they come back from a nice long walk but we’d have it no other way, that’s what dogs are all about their loyal and devoted and ask for nothing other than a tender hand and the odd treat now and then and you did that so don’t feel that you’ve done anything wrong here you haven’t.
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    So sorry about your dog,we lost ours over twenty years ago and we still miss him.Mig
  • marrianne
    marrianne Member Posts: 1,161
    Options
    Justin ,your boy knew you loved and cared for him right up to the end ,he could smell home and his loving family the vets behaved very badly they really need to get the after hours sorted ,We went through similar last year but our pet died at home in my arms to ,when you look back you will know you did everything you could ,he wasnt with strangers in unfamiliar surroundings , I have been told that animals have a much greater tolorence of pain than we do ,also in his lucid moments he felt as normal please be comforted ,Marrianne x
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Just popping by to see how you all are Justin :(

still thinking of you all.

Love (((())))

toni xxx
  • diamond
    diamond Member Posts: 396
    Options
    So sorry to hear about your dog.As others have said please don't blame yourself you did all you possibly could.In time the pain will lessen i have my dog's ashes buried in my garden,so i feel she is still near.Early days yet but remember you gave your dog a very good life.
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    Options
    Well said diamond.