Computer query, is there a techy who can help?

Options
kathbee
kathbee Member Posts: 934
edited 22. Aug 2012, 08:32 in Community Chit-chat archive
Where is Living Legend when you need him, he doesnt seem to be around these days, more's the pity, he is a mine of info.

I am about to aquire a laptop from my daughter's friend as my PC is on its last legs. :(
The laptop does NOT have Microsoft Office installed therefore would I be able to download Microsoft Office 2000 Premium complete with registration number onto the laptop, or is it totally out of date. I dont even know if the discs allow double useage, thats how thick I am, but I am old and could also be on my last legs :lol:

Any help would really be appreciated.
thanks in advance
Kath

Comments

• valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    some you could use on more than one lap top but often these days they are set so you can only use on one trouble comes when it does updates and finds more than one running it if you have the box read what it says i have couple of old ones that can be used on more than one but not read one i have now tut tut will do when get time good luck val
    val
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi Kath

Joseph (LL) has not been on the forum for well over a year. :( Del was very pc lit but he has departed and a couple of other guys too who no longer post for one reason or other.

I hope you and your new knee are getting along ok and that you can find someone with the answer regarding the laptop. :)

Love
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • kathbee
    Options
    Hi Val Thank you for the info, I am trying to get the info from Microsoft to clarify finally got through after half an hour holding on, but couldnt tell a word the agent was saying.

Hi Elna, thought it was a long time since Joseph posted and like you say a lot of others have flown the nest.
    Hope you are ok, I take it your mum is not too good again, sorry if that is the case. Me and the knee, hmmm, bit slow going but then I am impatient. Although according to Living With I think I am ok compared to the other peeps who have recently had the same.

Kath x
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    Hi Kath,

You should be able to install it. We bought Microsoft Office 2007 and we've used it for both Mr Leg's laptop (bought last year), his desktop PC and my old computer which I'm using now. As long as you have the registration no. on the disc it should be fine as it's not an illegal copy.

It'll be worth a try anyway .........................I promise it won't self destruct! :wink:

Luv,
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    I would get an updated edition if I was you but no harm in trying with the old registration number as it would cost a lot for a new edition.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • kathbee
    Options
    Thank you Linda and Elizabeth
    Yes, think I will try it, surely it cant do that much harm
    and I will think about the update.

Kath
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    kathbee wrote:
    Thank you Linda and Elizabeth
    Yes, think I will try it, surely it cant do that much harm
    and I will think about the update.

Kath

It won't do any harm the only thing that will happen is that it'll refuse to load it ............but I reckon it'll be alright .............as I said it's worth a try. :D

Luv,
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • kathbee
    Options
    I just knew there would be some lovely helpers on here.
    Thank you
    Kath
  • alanthemanc
    alanthemanc Bots Posts: 512
    Options
    As an alternative, I have also downloaded the free version of OfficeOrg.
    It is quite good, and for free, you can't really go wrong.... id give it a try.
    Alanthemanc
  • rondetto
    rondetto Member Posts: 2,526
    Options
    This is similar to Office word and is free Kath.

https://www.download-free.com/word-processor?source=ga
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    :lol: There you go, Kath, the guys have seen your message from a damsel in distress and rushed to your aid. :D

Love
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    Well done guys. I ever knew you could download it for free.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • kathbee
    Options
    Oh thanks Alan and Ron.
    Thats great, I just need to be able to do the ocassional letter so if I can download something similar to Office, that should be fine.

Well done you guys and thanks to everyone who replied.
    Great buddies on here.
    Kath