seeing rheumy nurse this afta hopefully starting mtx

Options
lynnmick
lynnmick Member Posts: 72
edited 22. Aug 2012, 17:34 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi everyone,

Got my 1st appointment with rheumy nurse this afternoon , i've had my breathing tests a week ago and hopefully everything is okay, and she can start me on the mtx . Hubby is coming along has an extra pair of ears in case i miss anything.

Let you know how i get on

Lynn x

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Lynn
    I really do wish you well your treatment, its a good idea to take hubby along, and take a list of questions you would like to ask..
    Good Luck and let us know how you get on x
    Love
    Barbara
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    Good thinking, lynnmick. I hope it all goes well.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • DebraKelly
    DebraKelly Member Posts: 398
    Options
    Take your husband for moral support.

I have been on Meth for the past couple of years, first on tablets and now on injections. Its a great drug.

Hope it works for you.
  • lynnmick
    Options
    hi there

I'm so glad that i took hubby with me has there is such a lot to remember. She has started me on 4 tabs (10mgs) which im going to take at bedtime tonight, and then i have to take 1 folic acid tablet on Thursday to counteract the side effects. Then the same next tuesday and then the week after they will be upped to 6 tabs (15mgs) once a week for a month. She said she wasnt going to pussyfoot around with the dosage from the beginning, she was lovely, very straight talking and honest and easy to get along with. I've had a blood test today at the hospital and she also gave me an injection in my neck, and i've also booked in with my GP for a blood test in 2 weeks has you have to have a blood test every 2 weeks for 3 months, she told me no alcohol for 3 months at all and then if my liver is alright i can have a couple, so that will be timed nicely for the christmas festivities :D . She also gave me a record of rheumatology care booklet for recording my blood results and told me what to look out for regarding bad readings and if i was worried to phone her.
    Sorry for being long winded but i've got to get my head around it all, i just hope i feel not too bad in the morning.

Thanks for letting me drivel on

Lynn x
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    Options
    That's not drivel! Well done for remembering it all. Starting on methotrexate is quite confusing...I also did the Tuesday and Thursday thing when I started which means if the day of the week begins with T then it's a tablet day :) ...it helped me remember!
    I really hope it proves to be as good for you as it is for me. I'm currently on a trying for a baby break from meth but it worked wonders (I'm missing it at the mo) and gave me my life back. It takes a while to kick in so be ready for a wee wait.
    All the best with it, LV xx
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    That all sounds well-organised and well-planned. I didn't get my meth booklet for years, somehow that slipped through their systems despite my having forrtnightly bloods for all that time! The three months will pass - for some alcohol does become a no-go area but if the meth turns out to be useful you may not mind that at all. :wink: I rarely have any side-effects from my injections, just because they're listed does not guarantee they'll happen and I hope it works for you. Good luck! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • lynnmick
    Options
    thanks for all your replies, remembering T for tablet day is a very good idea LV, i never thought of that but will use that. At the moment i seem to be rattling with plaquenil, iron tablets, folic acid, mtx, and it can get so confusing.

Yes DD it did seem a very well organised vist, that rheumy nurse is a very busy person, she said she does 6 clinics a week, with 14 patients in each one, just thinking of that makes my head spin.
    She had a laugh with my hubby about the fatigue side of RA and she said dont worry shes not lazy and smiled, she was really nice.

I took my mtx last night and touch wood feel fine, is this normal ? or is it because its a first dose, i expected to feel nauseous or similar. Must admit my neck was a killer until 4 am this morning though until i got some heat on it but hubby said well you didnt see the size of the needle that she poked into you :D
    I really hope that this mtx works for me so i can get back to being the old bubbly lynn again.

Lynn x