Happy Bunny

Options
pegleg
pegleg Member Posts: 139
edited 21. Aug 2012, 16:12 in Living with Arthritis archive
Well,went to physio very worried that I had made no progress ..........and wow she was happy with me ! :D:D , she said how much straighter it is and , although it doesn't bend as far as I would like, she was more than happy with it . I told her that my scar had changed from being light pink and flat to quite dark pink and now raised up also she agreed that it was making bending more difficult (I have a huge scar , caused by my accident, running across my kneecap) and it has a great deal of scar tissue underneath which isn't helping as well , she told me to massage the scar with Bio oil and see if that helps . I've now ditched the crutches round the house and can have a go on our exercise bike ! , not bad 5 weeks post op :D , got to go back in 3 weeks , so , apart from managing to hit yet another vein in my tummy with my injection :( , I'm a happy bunny :D xx

Comments

• elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    So pleased for you Peg. We have told you all along that you have been doing well and got the right attitude for your knee. As you say it may well be more difficult for you with the scar tissue from the other problem you had. Carry on, carrying on as you are. :D You are going great guns.

I used to inject in my thigh as I never fancied stabbing myself in the stomach especially cos I ain't got a lot of fat there! I was so relieved that with my second knee op they offered me the choice of tablets or injecting. You can guess which option I took! I have a feeling the tablets are much more expensive, so not always mentioned but they are around. :wink:

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • marrianne
    marrianne Member Posts: 1,161
    Options
    Very well done Peg ,I didnt know you had an acident across your knee already ,you should be very proud 5 weeks in I cant even get on on an exercise bike let alone push the pedals around my scar is dark pink at the start of 5 weeks if I bend it to much it hurts then swells and I need the ice again you have been brave with your injections to .I only had 14 of the dratted things and I was not brave aabout them at all ,Elna I asked about tablets in hospital and out but they didnt want to know ,I expect you are right about the price of them ,Marrianne :)
  • pegleg
    Options
    Thank you :D , do feel a bit pleased with myself , which is lovely because I have had a lot of tears and tantrums with this op , previous ops on this leg have always ended in a plaster cast for a few months, resulting in leg up on the sofa and complete rest until better ! Have found this one a lot harder on my emotions , I'm not one to cry normally but my poor partner has nearly drowned a few times in the last 5 weeks lol ! . Hate the jabs but was told to do them in my tummy , diddn't know about tablets ! , I've had 2 stomach ulcers though so maybe they would be no good for me ? .Stockings being burnt at the stake next Tue too ! :wink: xx
  • pinkbritishstars
    pinkbritishstars Member Posts: 731
    Options
    Well done Pegleg :-)

really happy for you :-)

xxx
  • pegleg
    Options
    Yes Marrianne , I got knocked off my motorbike by a careless Woman in 1988 when I was 23 , smashed my leg and pelvis and her rusty bonnet nearly ripped my leg off at the knee :( , 6 weeks later I came home from hospital and my endless operations began , had skin and bone grafts and had to have my ankle fused a couple of years ago , I have a lot of muscle wastage above my knee too and was always told I would end up with a new knee so did quite well to delay it for as long as I did :D , but hey ho I'm thankful for what I have and am feeling much more positive after today :D:D xx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    When you are in the thick of it it is sometimes very hard to see the progress you are making, and it's also difficult not to compare yourself to others who may be doing 'better' than you. I found, after my synovectomies, that those who had had new knees did much better much faster than me (not surprising!) but at the time I didn't realise that. I now know better. :wink:

You are doing fine Pegleg, keep on keeping on and things will get better. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    Get yourself down to boots got bio oil on offer.Mig
  • diamond
    diamond Member Posts: 396
    Options
    Well done Peg isn't it amazing how a good physio session lifts the spirit.I used to come out on a high when things were improving.It takes time and we are all different as to how quickly we get there.My knees feel better these days pity my heels and ankles wont join the happy club.Anyway my new shower room should be finished tomorrow so life should be a lot easier.Glad you are enjoying your new funky shower.
  • Helenbothknees
    Helenbothknees Member Posts: 487
    Options
    Excellent news, peg; I'm delighted for you. And I'm gonna say it...we told you so!!!! :D:D:D

Bio oil is good. I was sceptical, using the cocoa butter I was recommended many years ago for absolutely everything by a Jamaican woman with the world's best skin, but bio oil really stops my scars feeling so tight.

What are these injections? Or maybe I'm glad I don't know....
  • pegleg
    Options
    Thanks all :D:D , Helen , I've pinched my Daughters Bio oil and have been massaging it into my scar :D . The jabs are to prevent blood clots , I came home with 6 weeks worth and their pre loaded syringes , they sting for a while after you inject and I've hit a few veins so my tummy is black and blue :( xx