How do people manage pain

Options
Trayce
Trayce Member Posts: 110
edited 24. Aug 2012, 03:52 in Living with Arthritis archive
How do people manage pain all I have Been told to do is take paracetamol which is due to being on other meds but it is not helping at all I have tried various heat sprays and freeze sprays which do take edge of a little but am finding out cant do certain things and it is stopping me doing daily stuff I do excersise and do rest when can not cope otherwise always active and doing

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    My days of being active and always doing are long gone. I take cocodamol 30/500 and (like all pain relief) it doesn't relieve much, all it does is dull the sharper edges. Over the years I've learned to live with the pain and to listen to it as it does provide a useful feedback if I am pushing myself too hard. My tip is to stop when you feel you can do more, rest to ease the affected joints and delegate wherever possible. :wink: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi Trayce

Welcome to the forum. You have much to cope with looking after your husband and also yourself and I am sorry. The hip pain could be coming from your back as referred pain as the xray stated that you have degeneration there. I am wondering if you are able to take anti inflammatories but presume not if you have not been prescribed them . I do not know how long you have been struggling only taking the paracetamol along with the other meds you have to take for your other problems. If it gets too much you should return to your gp to discuss. I am wondering if you have any outside help with caring for your husband and help around the home. You are obvously resting when you can - meds make one sleepy and so does pain and worry. I can see though that you are not going to have too much time for yourself with your other commitments.

Do tell us a little more because we would of course wish to help you more, if we are able to do so.

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • Trayce
    Options
    I rest when need to and am doing as little as I can right now as for caring role hubby is easy to look after part from when he gets Ill with his epilepsy I am under the mh team had three workers and all proven to be useless my hubby is waiting a care assessment from mh team for me I had one on him from social services and nothing was done then we told his team for his vision who stated that I needed more help than he does only had hip and back probs since last nov and had X-ray in June as I am under mh team social services will not help my worker has to refer me if I was not then social services would prob help but my worker will not dote things I ask so I brought in an advocate
  • elnafinn
    Options
    Oh Tracey, this must all be so difficult for you. It is such a terrible shame that you are not getting the help that you need for both yourself and your husband. I am not sure where you go from here. How is it going with the advocate? It is abysmal that the teams are not working well with you both. Have you any family that could perhaps jump in to make sure that some things are put into action correctly? Is your gp aware that things are so difficult for you in the home?

Keep talking to us if it helps, sometimes it does just writing your thoughts down when life is so difficult.

You could phone the helplines, number at the top of the screen. They are a most understanding, dedicated team and may well have some good ideas and suggestions. You would be able to say more over the pnone because it is confidential, just between you and the lovely person on the other end of the phone. If you feel able to do this I am sure you will feel a little better. Many people on the forum have said how calling the helplines helped them.

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • Trayce
    Options
    Gp is very good and knows whats going on with mh team advocate is trying to get me support but he struggling everything we ask for we get a response which basically means no I have been put on weekly or twice weekly to gp and even went to a and e at gp request due to him being worried about me being safe even she said gp should not have sent me so got no help again
  • elnafinn
    Options
    Hi Tracey

Sounds like you are not in the right postal code for help and assistance which is so unjust and unfair. Please call the helplines if you feel able to do so. They will do their best to help you.

As you say, you have a caring GP but it seems his/her hands are tied as well. There must surely be some help available for you. Sounds like it may be a fight though and you should not have to be going through all that when you are feeling vulnerable enough as it is. I would have hoped that an advocate or peer advocate could get the ball rolling for you in some positive way or other.

Elna x

• Trayce
    Options
    I know some areas post codes come into it but this is because I have a mh worker we have spoke to social services and I have to go through her my gp hands are tied because he said if he rang they wont listen to him he did sy am not the only one I am going to speak to advocate and push for the support
  • elnafinn
    Options
    Hi Tracey

I think that would be a very good idea to speak with your advocate and be a little more pushy than you have been perhaps. I can appreciate that with how you may be feeling this is just more added pressure on you and using up energy that you could put to more use elsewhere but if you think about it, that is their job to listen to you and do their utmost to help you in as many ways as possible.

Do keep talking to us if it helps. I shall always reply to you. If I lived nearer I would pop in to see you. Mind you I do not know where you are, perhaps you are round the corner from me. Now there's a thought! :wink::)

Elna x

• Trayce
    Options
    Thanks

I am in manchester
  • elnafinn
    Options
    I am in the south east about 40 miles from London so we shall have to have a cyber cuppa together instead. :wink::)

Elna x

• Trayce
    Options
    In so much pain feel sick and Cant face eating
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    Hi Trayce

welcome to the forum from me too.

I am so sorry that you are having so much difficulty with your pain and that whatever the try does not work :(

I wonder if a tens machine would help??? It did nothing for me really but we are all different and it may be worth a try :wink:

I have no advice I just wanted to send you Hugs (((((((())))))))and say that I am thinking about you and your husband and I hope you both get the help you need soon

Love Juliepf x Ps Please try to eat a little, even if it is just dry bread or crackers ((((((((((()))))))))))
  • elnafinn
    Options
    Dear Tracey

I am so sorry that you are feeling very unwell and not able to eat. You should try to eat something because taking any medication on an empty stomach is not really a good idea. Perhaps you should go and see your caring doctor and tell him/her how you are feeling today.

Elna x

• Trayce
    Options
    Dont want to see gp or no one hidden in bed today feel so low nd in so much pain
  • elnafinn
    Options
    Dear Tracey

I hope that you feel better tomorrow. Have you any family that can help you or understand how you are feeling and could do something for you. I can understand that you are staying in bed because you feel safe there and you are in pain but it will not help in the long run. You really do need to talk with someone who is sympathetic to your needs. Isn't there anyone?

Elna x

• Trayce
    Options
    No one mum has same problems in laws are old so just me and hubby I did potter about the house but felt no better so took myself off to bed
  • elnafinn
    Options
    Dear Tracey

Today is another day, let's hope that you feel a little better and stronger in yourself. I am sorry that there is no one in the family that you can talk with or ask for some assistance. That must be so tough for you. It is the bank holiday this weekend too. I have to go out now for a few hours but on my return will see if you have called in.

Elna x

• julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    Hello Tracey

I too hope that today is a much better day for you.
    If you don't want to speak to your doctor please try the helpline here. Their number is at the top of the page.

Sending more (((()))))
    Love Juliepf x