Tony Nicklinson

dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 25. Aug 2012, 07:55 in Community Chit-chat archive
After being refused the right to decide for himself when, where and how he could end his life nature has at long last intervened and taken that powerful decision out of his hands.

I understand the ethical points about his case but I do wonder sometimes if the cost of preserving life is sometimes too much for the patient to bear. Just because something can be done does not necessarily mean it's the right thing. I sincerely hope that he was able to welcome death when it arrived. RIP Mr Nicklinson. DD
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• diamond
    diamond Member Posts: 396
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Yes totally agree DD it is indeed a very contraversial subject.RIP Tony Nicklinson you are free now from what must have been been a very difficult life.My condolences to his wife and daughters at this very emotional time.I Hope in time the good memories they shared will overtake the last few years when life must have been so difficult for them all.
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Rest in peace,peace to his family.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Bless him..he was distraught when they refused him the right to die, its not much to ask...like you say there is the ethical side, but it really was what he wanted...he's at peace now,thank god.
    Love
    Barbara
  • Colin1
    Colin1 Member Posts: 1,769
    Bless him and his family they have all sufferd
    RIP
    Colin
    WHEN GOD GIVES YOU LEMONS MAKE LEMONADE
  • georgie66
    georgie66 Member Posts: 403
    bless him and may now he rest in peace
    georgie
  • elainebadknee
    elainebadknee Bots Posts: 3,703
    His soul was broken after last week's judgement, it was awful to see him howling like a child...I am happy that he had found peace at last and what a strong, brave man....He couldnt speak but boy was he vocal without his voice...I do believe in voluntary euthanasiam if we are left like this, its our life, our right to choose when the quality and dignity has gone...

Elainexx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    He had said all the way through his legal fight that the only way that he could bring about his death by his own actions was to refuse food but he did not want to put himself and his family through that. After the judgement that is what he did. What courage but also what desperation. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    I'm glad he has found peace. My heart goes out to anyone in this situation.

I was also deeply upset by the death of Stuart Wickison who had degeneratrive Duchenne muscular dystrophy . He chose to drown himself last year by riding his motor chair into a lake when he was age 23. It gets to a point when death is preferable to living in constant pain.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein