so jealous of one of my customers

Options
babytiger
babytiger Member Posts: 360
edited 26. Aug 2012, 06:49 in Living with Arthritis archive
A wee scotsman that regulararly comes into shop suddenly appeared on 2 sticks,I asked what had happened.....reply.......
Had a knee replacement 4 weeks ago and hes walking better than I ever had or am now ,He's complaining his knee is swollen and sore but xant believe how great he's doing after such a short time AND it was the same surgeon ( i must have got him on a bad day)
Eileen

Comments

• mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    The landlord up the pub where my nipper goes horse ridding (it's also a riding school) had a knee replaced a few weeks ago and he was out driving a tractor 2 weeks after the op the lucky bugger!.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Oh Eileen its what I call sods law, I need two news hips but I am terrified at how good or bad my surgeon will be.
    I have thought of having an epidural then they might be more careful has I will be watching them.. :roll:
    I do think we should have some way of checking how good they are, but like you say in your case he is good but not all the time... :shock: xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    I think it has a lot to do with an excellent surgeon but also it is to do with the patient. We are all different and we have the op at different ages and also we vary as to how bad the joint and surrounding area was before the op. If we were able to exercise the joint beforehand that will help with recovery, not being too overweight will help too, before and after. Some patients are on crutches before the op, walking with a stiff leg, unable to exercise to make surrounding muscles strong pre op, walk with a stick, were able to walk unaided, were in a wheelchair. Other ailments besides the arthritic joint(s) to contend with, the list is pretty open ended.

My mum paid privately to have her knee done by the best, extremely highly spoken of regarding his success rate on knees in her area and she had a most horrenduous outcome for a very long time until it was finally sorted.

We only have to read on the forum to see how diverse recovery is with different people.

I understand where you are coming from though, Eileen, Mel and Barbara. It can be really tough and I do sympathise.

Elna x
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • marrianne
    marrianne Member Posts: 1,161
    Options
    I agree with Elna on this one 5 weeks post op I was dreading it asking around at my rhuemy hospital and monitoring did little good either , though most people I spoke to were happy with the outcome medical staff were loathe to comment on the consultant performing the surgery ,I was also very scared and reluctant to go ahead despite terrible pain ,as Elna said we are all different pre operation ,I had been walking stiff legged for ages muscle completely wasted couldnt exercise so not the best candidate ,not exactly young either ,Barbara , I stayed awake during the operation but couldnt see anything because of big tent thing ..... to catch the splashes said the consultant cheerfully ..... but it was ok really and it did make me feel a little in control ,I would definately prefer that to a general anaesthetic ,good luck all of you if you do get your operations what ever you decide ,Marrianne :)
  • babytiger
    Options
    I know we all differ as Elna says and I was so sporty beforehand with cycling and walking,just that 2 months beforehand my knee kept collapsing on me . Its funny what life throws at you, even now I'm a determined bugga and try and walk although Im in agony.
  • marrianne
    Options
    babytiger wrote:
    I know we all differ as Elna says and I was so sporty beforehand with cycling and walking,just that 2 months beforehand my knee kept collapsing on me . Its funny what life throws at you, even now I'm a determined bugga and try and walk although Im in agony.
    Eileen ,I am so very sorry about what happend with your knee ,I am definately not out of the woods yet either ,can you get a complete review of your knee and the way it has turned out an independant opinion ,its time consuming and difficult because one consultant is not keen to comment against another medic but your in such pain you have nothing to loose especialy as your still young , would a nother TKR not be on the cards for you ? Marrianne :)
  • marrianne
    Options
    babytiger wrote:
    Eileen ,I am so very sorry about what happend with your knee ,I am definately not out of the woods yet either ,can you get a complete review of your knee and the way it has turned out an independant opinion ,its time consuming and difficult because one consultant is not keen to comment against another medic but your in such pain you have nothing to loose especialy as your still young , would a nother TKR not be on the cards for you ? Marrianne :)
  • diamond
    diamond Member Posts: 396
    Options
    Sorry to hear you are still suffering so much Eileen.It would seem that some sail through this op,others take a while to recover and some like yourself have ongoing problems.I hope that something can be done to remedy your situation.x
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    My partners Dad also paid for his knee ops and now 3 and a half years later one is playing up badly. But then he is a builder so it could be that he has over-used it.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • babytiger
    Options
    mines was 10 months ago and its never been able to bend,even physio gave up with me