Methotrexate : Injection vs. tablets ?

Options
kellis
kellis Bots Posts: 69
edited 4. Sep 2012, 04:32 in Living with Arthritis archive
I have been on 15mg Methotrexate tablets for a few years for my RA.

It makes me feel ropey, I take them as I go to bed on a Tuesday, hide under the duvet and sleep the worst off, but still feel a bit nausea and headachey through Wednesday.

On my last visit to the hospital the rheumy decided to try me on injections for a month because more people tolerate them better. I'm not happy about self injecting, but arranged for the nurse to come for the the 4 doses and review it after.

Unfortunately the nurse calls in the morning, and after the first 3 doses I have been completely wiped out with nausea, headaches and general unwell feeling for the entire day - each time the day has been lost to remaining horizontal on the sofa! My final dose will be at 6.30pm next week to see if a later time helps out at all.

My question is - has anybody else been worse on the injections than the tablets, because I was really hoping it would be the other way round?

Comments

• kathe
    kathe Member Posts: 183
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    So sorry to hear that you are struggling. I had det same problem but that was whit the tablets. Took 20 mg then. I was dissy ,nausea, and so. Taking the injetisions now and that is so much better. But have to reduse to 15 and are going to reduce to 12.5 after 1 month because I m loosing hear.
    My reuma told me when I started the injetions that it cud go the other way to.B ut most people have it better on the injetions. So sorry to hear that you are one of them that don't have it better on the injetions.
    Thinking if you. Hopes it goes better.
  • ELAINE55555
    ELAINE55555 Member Posts: 123
    Options
    I got my first mtx injection about an hour ago, so will keep you posted. Been not too bad on the tablets, but inflammation was too high.
  • tillytop
    tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
    Options
    Hello Kellis

I am so sorry you are struggling so much. I know this is probably not what you want to hear but I was way worse on the injected meth. I was bad enough on the tablets but the injected stuff was, for me, an absolute nightmare. One thing to say though is that I have heard others on here say that they have been told that the injected meth is more potent, so sometimes you can get away with a lower dose for the same effect. As far as I know, my injected dose and the tablet dose were the same and I wonder if that was why I was worse on the injections.

After 2 long tries with meth (for at least a year each time) I had to give up because it just didn't suit me (although it certainly helped the RA). If this is the case for you, don't despair though because there are many other DMARDS out there (although not sure what others you may already have had). It's just that meth seems to be pretty much the consultants' "drug of choice".

Thinking of you.

Tillyxxx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I've been doing my own meth jabs for a while now and I'm one of the lucky ones in that I don't have any real trouble at all. The idea of the injections is that the digestive systems is by-passed and that usually means that a smaller liquid dose is possible: the liquid is more powerful than the tablets. I am on a 15ml dose and have been for ages, plus fortnightly humira. What meth dose are you currently being given? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • DebraKelly
    DebraKelly Member Posts: 398
    Options
    Hello,

Firstly don't worry about doing the injections yourself.

I made the switch from Meth tablets to injections back in January and I am terrified of needles.

I have to say that doing the injections yourself is very easy and quick.

The side effects reduce a lot and you will feel much better.
  • cakegirl
    cakegirl Member Posts: 50
    Options
    hi there,

unfortunately for me the injection made no difference whatsoever, i felt just as bad as i did on the tablets :( i took mtx for 18 months all in, gave it what i'd call my best shot as it seemed to dampen things down for me somewhat.

however after 18 months i had enough, i just couldnt take the day after feelings any more, i have 2 young kids to look after and is if aching wasn't enough i was making myself even worse with yet another day of feeling even more ill (if you get me)..

anyways, i switched to leflunamide and i can honestly say it has been a life changing drug for me. no side effects whatsoever and can now do so many things i couldn't before (even getting in and out of bath !) my esr rate has come down from 67 to 11 !!! i love it but as we're all different what works for one person may not necessarily work for another ?

i firmly believe not to stop trying as there will be something that will suit with your body.

good luck with things xxxx
    Cakegirl xxx
  • Catage29
    Catage29 Member Posts: 9
    Options
    Hi everyone :0)

Wow this topic is interesting.... I too am on Methotrexate and hate it!!! I hardly take my tablets as I can't stand feeling poorly next day and sometimes even the following day. When you have to work and live it's not ideal. I was thinking of asking to swap to the injections as my Doc had suggested this. Injecting myself doesn't worry me now as I inject Humira. Ummmmm now I don't know what to do. Worth a try I think. I'm less likely to not inject than to not pop a pill.

Catherine Xxx
  • Btoony
    Btoony Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi all,

Im slightly bucking the trend here but my experience of Methotrexate (I take 17.5 mgs weekly) has been more positive than many who have posted here. I do suffer a little from the common side effects but it has made my Arthritis so much easier to manage, stay in full time employment and get about. Before I started it, about 4 years ago, I struggled to walk past a few steps.

Regards
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Hurrah! Someone for whom the meth is doing something useful - it's great to hear from someone like you because the usual messages on here are not so positive. It is true that meth is not the drug for everyone and that some do struggle more with it than others, but if it's doing the trick for you, Btoony, then that is good news indeed.

Hello Kellis, it's been a few days since we heard from you, how are you doing now? If the side effects have not altered and you've been trying with the meth for so long it could well be that it isn't the med for you and a meds review could be useful. Keep in touch and let us know how you are getting on, yes? DD
  • kathe
    kathe Member Posts: 183
    Options
    Btoony wrote:
    Hi all,

Im slightly bucking the trend here but my experience of Methotrexate (I take 17.5 mgs weekly) has been more positive than many who have posted here. I do suffer a little from the common side effects but it has made my Arthritis so much easier to manage, stay in full time employment and get about. Before I started it, about 4 years ago, I struggled to walk past a few steps.

Regards

So great to hear that it helps!! You have been lucky!!
    Great to hear something positive about it!!
    Best wisches!:):)
  • fowls48
    fowls48 Member Posts: 1,357
    Options
    Sorry to hear this kellis I take the tabs but only been on them for 4months sorry I cannot help . :(
    Fowls
  • Btoony
    Btoony Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Im lucky I know and touch wood I hope it lasts!

It was remiss of me not to pass on my thoughts to those who do struggle with what is a difficult medication so I do that now.

Best wishes to you all.
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    It's always good to hear the better side of this medication, I'm on it and I know it is helping to control my PsA albeit a little too late. There are those who struggle mightily however, and that must be very difficult.

Hello again Kellis, how are things? I hope you are as OK as you can be. DD
  • DebraKelly
    DebraKelly Member Posts: 398
    Options
    I have an appointment to see my consultant in October and I am asking him if I can come of the Meth as I think it has stopped working. And I feel pretty terrible most of the time.

However it did work for a good year or so, so I can't complain.