Kneeling After TKR

Options
Helenbothknees
Helenbothknees Member Posts: 487
edited 25. Aug 2012, 16:25 in Living with Arthritis archive
Anyone have any experience of this? I'd been told and read many different things about kneeling. In the past it was strictly forbidden, but that has changed, and it's now considered OK so long as you can do it comfortably, and many people can; I got that from the consultant.

But how soon? My blurb from the hospital said three months after the op, but those blurbs are notoriously out of date. An American hospital website said two months. I asked my physios, since with two knees having been operated on, I can't get on to the ground, do any gardening, empty the cat litter tray, or do many other things without kneeling at least for a moment. The senior physio said to try it on a soft surface, and got me to practise. It seemed OK.

Then today I went to the gentle yoga class, where you can do things on a chair or the ground; your choice. I did quite a bit on the ground, and it felt OK, but my knees ache a bit now. BUT...it was quite an active class overall, I had a very active physio session yesterday, and I went for a long walk the day before...and I've cut down my painkillers. Any of those could be causing it....

So I just wondered what any of you had found with kneeling. Experiences only please. I'm not terribly interested in what you've read or what you think, because I think I've read every word ever written about it now!

Comments

• caroldeeg
    caroldeeg Member Posts: 51
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi
    I had a TKR almost 9 years ago. I can kneel on it for short periods only as it hurts quite a lot. I was told to listen to my body, if it hurt not to do it. I was back in work after 2 months and driving and living a really active life after 3 months.
    Im about to have my second knee done and hopefully it will be as good as the first one,
    But I would say if it hurts dont do it, try again in a week or two.
    Knees are quite a severe operation and your body needs time to recover,
    I hope this helps
    Carol
  • loovechocolate
    loovechocolate Member Posts: 77
    Options
    I am 17 weeks today :D and can now kneel, to clean and garden I do use a kneeling pad, first time I was scared like I have been about everything but now there are few things I can't do.
  • Helenbothknees
    Options
    Thank you Carol. I was also told to listen to my body. The trouble is, it doesn't seem to hurt while I'm doing it, at least not on a blanket or something similar. But it hurt quite a lot afterwards. But like I said, I'd done a lot of other things too - and also driven in a traffic jam requiring lots of clutch use; forgot that bit! I guess I have too many variables. I'll try again gently on another day and see how it is....when I haven't given my knees a hard time in other ways.
  • Helenbothknees
    Options
    Thanks loovechocolate; I didn't see that before I last posted. That's great to know. I think I'm going to buy a kneeling pad tomorrow!
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    I find kneeling extremely comfortable. I have had my knees "done" two years apart, 2008 and 2010 if I remember corrrectly. As to when I began to kneel I have no idea. I was not champing at the bit to kneel so the time element post op did not bother me.

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • marrianne
    marrianne Member Posts: 1,161
    Options
    Hi Helen Well done with your progress , I couldnt kneel before T K R , so keep us up to speed with how you get on .Marrianne :)
  • kathbee
    kathbee Member Posts: 934
    Options
    Like Marianne I havent been able to kneel for many years due to RA so will be waiting to hear how it goes Helen.
    Kath
  • Helenbothknees
    Options
    Kneeling update...
    I was glad I'd asked the physio. Yesterday my partner David, who'd been cleaning out our three huge cat litter trays (for five cats) ever since my my op, managed to badly bruise a finger while weeding the garden, and he couldn't grip a litter scoop. I grabbed a thick blanket to kneel on, and said I'd do it if I could. It was fine, but as with everything, one knee complained more than the other. So I decided I needed something better to kneel on. We went to a garden centre today, and I tried several kneeling pads, and bought the best - a self-inflating air filled cushion designed for outdoor use, which pretty much entirely eliminated all pain! I plan to use it for litter tray cleaning, gardening, yoga, at cat shows, and anywhere else where I really have to kneel. It's early days, but so far I'd thoroughly recommend it!
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Good for you Helen...I can only imagine how scary it is for the first time, I cant kneel on one of my knees, havent had a TKR yet, but it stops you doing so much.
    you carry on improving x
    Love
    Barbara
  • Helenbothknees
    Options
    Barbara, it really does stop you doing things, doesn't it. I never would have imagined how much of a nuisance it would be. The litter trays were actually the main problem, as they need doing daily and David is great but he tended to forget. I'm so glad I can do them now. If you -or anyone else - want details of the cushion I'll post them, but I'm not sure if they'd work for arthritis where he bending is usually the problem, whereas after a TKR it's pain from the pressure. I didn't find it scary as I'd tried on a mattress on the bed first, very gently, so I had some idea of how much it would/wouldn't hurt. But a couple of days ago I forgot and kneeled on a hard surface - and that was really painful!