Can Knee OA follow hip OA?

Options
Melrymax
Melrymax Member Posts: 226
edited 28. Aug 2012, 05:34 in Living with Arthritis archive
Maybe I'm just being a bit paranoid- but I don't want to head down this route!!!
My OA in hips is caused (so the docs believe) from my clicky hips at birth tht never repaired. I had 9 years of complaining to the dr tht my hips clicked all the time and occasionally got sore ( alot more than occasional now) before I got an X-ray!
I have noticed recently that my knees have started clicking alot and am now scared tht my knees will end up the same way!
Anyone have any experience or knowledge weather once you have OA is it likely to effect other joints etc? Thank you x

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Arthritis can spread, I know mine has. One of the causes could be that as affected joints don't 'line up' as they should they then throw others out of alignment leading to further aches and pains. I began with one fat knee, after six years the other knee joined in, followed by ankles, toes, sacro-iliacs etc but that was attributable to my auto-immune arthritis. My OA has resulted because of joint damage. My hips now twinge occasionally which I guess is not that surprising as I don't walk 'properly' as such (although I am currently trying to do just that!). Mind you, joint cracking does not necessarily mean arthritis, I think it's summat to do with the tendons etc sliding over the joint - my ageing mates complain about their knees 'cracking' but they are not arthritics. It could be just one of those things. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • kathbee
    kathbee Member Posts: 934
    Options
    I had a right hip replacement and more recently a right knee replacement and my 'new knee' is cracking and clicking a lot, so not sure what to make of it at the mo. Maybe proves that clicking knees or any other clicks doesnt necessarily mean a replacement is needed.
    I will let you know Mel
    when I have seen the ortho clinic in just over a weeks time.

Kath
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    From what I understood the noises from knees is just gas release in the joint and are quite normal but only you can tell whether it's the same noise/feeling as happens in your hips.

Why don't you have a chat with your GP as that way you'll know whether to be worried or not.

As for OA moving, it is quite possible to have it in more than one joint so that's another reason to have it checked out by a medical professional. You may be worrying unnecessarily so at least your mind will put at rest.

Luv,
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • Helenbothknees
    Helenbothknees Member Posts: 487
    Options
    Kath, I'veen told that clicking 'new knees' is normal and common. Mine do it too.
  • Soretoe2
    Soretoe2 Member Posts: 198
    Options
    Hello Melrymax,
    Sadly you can get OA in any joint in your body. However if you don't actually have pain, just clicking, then it's probably just gas bubbles/cartilage getting a bit looser, with, I'm sorry to say age and use
    As you have hip problems this may have meant that your knees have been taking an uneven load on them over the years. Which may lead to arthritic changes.
    So look after your knees, keep doing gentle exercises and maybe old Arthur will give them a miss.
    If they do start getting very stiff and painful, a trip to the doc and an x ray would be a good idea.
    Hopefully that's years away, so try not to worry too much. Joy