Exercise for hands

Options
Petitesse
Petitesse Member Posts: 62
edited 27. Aug 2012, 07:24 in Living with Arthritis archive
I was at a rehab hospital a few months back where I learned more about my illness and different kinds of exercise. For those with arthritis in their hands we used cherry stone heat bags to warm up the hands and then exercised with chinese baoding balls.

At that time my hands were about the only place on my body that was NOT affected, so I didn't use it much. But now I have it in my hands too, so I will be sure to buy some baoding balls soon. Luckily they are not expensive.

I wasn't sure if we are allowed to link to youtube here, but there are videos on how to use them. It is a lot harder to use them than it looks! You really get to exercise all the small muscles in the hands.

I hope others on the forum will find this useful.

Comments

• valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    others have linked to there should be ok for exercises sounds good idea never heard of them but will look thanks val
    val
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Thank you, I'll investigate too as any helpful tip is worth a look. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Petitesse
    Options
    Okay, I will put up one link that explains the use:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byYoS6M3gok

I am not sure if I believe the acupuncture benefits or the yin/yang energy and healing sounds.
    However I know it doesn't matter if I believe that part or not. They are still excellent for exercising all the small muscles in the hand and forearm. And I can use them while watching tv :)

It does take more of my focus to do the more advanced exercises with them though. Right now I can make them rotate both clockwise and anti clockwise in both hands, but not without the balls touching and it still looks very clumsy :lol:
    I have been practising to rotate them on top of each other too instead of sideways. I am right handed, but for some reason I can only do that with my left hand.

I have seen quite a few show off videos on youtube too, but that will not be my goal! Some are amazing to watch though.
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    Options
    I've got some of those in a cupboard somewhere. I'm going to get them out and try them. Watched one of the other videos and don't think I could do the exercises, even without the balls. :lol:
    Christine
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hello,
    This sounds interesting, my hands are painful at the moment and its so difficult to do even simple things for myself, I even have to be careful not to type too much! I was given some simple exercises by the physio, they consisted of bending my fingers joint by joint. I'll have a look and see if they might be useful to me. Always ready to give anything, well almost anything, a try! Love Sue xxxx
  • Soretoe2
    Soretoe2 Member Posts: 198
    Options
    I know it's off post for hand exercises but I have a wax bath that I use every other day. It's really soothing and helps to ease the stiffness of my hands for a while.
    I shall look into the baoding balls, thank you for the tip.
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hi I've had it at the occ therapy, but only had 6 sessions. It felt lovely and makes the skin feel soft!
  • Petitesse
    Options
    Hi soretoe

We had glycerin baths for the hands too. It was warmed up in a machine to dip the hands in and then wrapped the hands in a plastic bag each. It felt great, so that is a good tip. I didn't know you could do this at home?

What kind of wax do you use and do you just warm it in a caserole?
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    Options
    I used to use paraffin wax while doing a manicure or pedicure for clients. You can buy professional heaters but I used a slow cooker, as did other therapists I know. Does the same job but, unless it has a thermometer on it, you have to be very careful it doesn't get too hot. I used to paint it on with a paintbrush then put on a plastic bag then a wrap the hands or feet in towels.
    Christine
  • Petitesse
    Options
    Thank you applerose. I will definitely be trying that soon :)
  • Soretoe2
    Soretoe2 Member Posts: 198
    Options
    Hi petitesse, you can buy portable wax baths from Amazon and many other outlets. The paraffin wax is also easily obtained, my chemist gets mine for me. All you need then is a towel and you're off. You can also wear plastic gloves or put your hands in a plastic bag before immersing in the wax if you prefer. It's a matter of personal choice.(You just peel them off before wrapping your hands in a towel). You do have to wait about 20 minutes or so for it to heat up but newer models to mine may be a bit quicker, they have thermostats so you can adjust the temperature to your choice. I have also used it for my sore elbows and as I'm not too big have occasionally put my foot in too (in a bag first though).
    I have had my bath for about 6 years now. It cost just over £20.00 then and the wax blocks last for ages. If you are the only one using the bath then you can reuse the wax many times, I just leave it to cool until next time. If someone else uses it as well they do advise changing the wax each time.
    Hope this helps anyone who'd like to give it a try.