?? Car Insurance & Blue Badges ??

Options
freesia
freesia Member Posts: 409
edited 29. Aug 2012, 07:06 in Living with Arthritis archive
Does anyone have any advise / information as to whether applying for and getting, a Blue Badge, will affect my car insurance premiums...???

I 'think' I may well be entitled to a blue badge due to OA in both knees, and that I cannot walk far without a walking aid, (although I am clearly OK to drive, as per my consultant & GP) but at present I am reluctant to apply because of possible problems with car insurance....
I Have looked on their insurance website and it mentions nothing... But don't want to call up & ask as every call is logged...

Any advise / experience would be gratefully received...x
hugs freesia xxx

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    My insurers know I am arthritic (they reduced my premiums when I was unable to drive after my synovectomies) but I've never mentioned the BB to them because the car is stationary when it's being used. If anyone hits my parked car whilst in a disabled bay that's their problem, not mine, assuming I know who they are! :) DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • broms
    broms Member Posts: 24
    Options
    it only becomes an issue if you have to notify DVLA because of your medical condition. If you dont need to notify DVLA you dont need to mention it to your insurance company
  • salamander
    salamander Member Posts: 1,906
    Options
    I rang my insurers when i got the bb and was told they are not allowed, by law, to discriminate against disabled drivers by upping their insurance and he didnt want to know any details. He couldn't get me off the phone quick enough.
  • salamander
    Options
    I rang my insurers when i got the bb and was told they are not allowed, by law, to discriminate against disabled drivers by upping their insurance and he didnt want to know any details. He couldn't get me off the phone quick enough.
  • salamander
    Options
  • salamander
    Options
  • salamander
    Options
  • salamander
    Options
  • salamander
    Options
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi
    This site playing up again....7 posts from one person :lol:
    Morning DD....I'm not having a "go" but

"I've never mentioned the BB to them because the car is stationary when it's being used."

OK...its early and I'm cracking up or else Daisy gets you places without moving????? :lol::lol:

Sorry...back to the original question......I've never mentioned it to my insurers. In fact I saw an advert recently for one insurance company that reduced rates for BB holders?????? Just skimmed over it and cant remember who it was ...Sorry

Love
    Hileena
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    My insurers know about my arthritises and I am covered by my insurance when I'm driving. Surely my BB is immaterial when the car is on the move, that's what I meant. DD
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi again DD
    I've wakened up a bit more now.....sorry about the mistake :wink:

Love
    Hileena
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Don't be daft! :lol: Apologies are so not needed, it's easy to get the wrong end of the stick, I know I regularly do. :wink: DD
  • Colin1
    Colin1 Member Posts: 1,769
    Options
    hello freesia, you do not need to contact your insurance
    you need to ask your GP or consultant will they support you with the application for a blue badge.
    Then you apply to your local council.
    Its worth dropping into your local one stop shop or local council office just to ask what they require.
    Normally a writtemn form you need to fill in and supply 2 pics of yourself.
    Cheers
    Colin
    WHEN GOD GIVES YOU LEMONS MAKE LEMONADE
  • SteveBurns
    SteveBurns Member Posts: 177
    Options
    Hi freesia :) I don't think it makes any difference at all.

What I will say is when you apply for the BB be very careful what you say and do.

I applied having RA in both knees and suffering severe pain when walking but I said I was in line for a TKR.

They took that to mean I would get better therefore they disallowed the BB.

I did a walking test, about 100 yards, struggled but did not take a rest and failed that as well.

I appealed but got the same decision.

Tell them how bad you are, you will not get any better just worse and if you do a walking test take plenty of rests.

Good luck.
  • Helenbothknees
    Helenbothknees Member Posts: 487
    Options
    I told them I was waiting for TKRs, but that I expected to have them separately with a five month wait for each. However, I was given a BB for....three years!!! If all goes well, I think I may need to send it back at some point.

Steve, I think the walking limit is about 50 yards, not sure - more than that and you don't get it.
  • freesia
    freesia Member Posts: 409
    Options
    Thanks for all your great tips,,,

When you say the "walking test" is 50 yards.... Is this walking freely or with a stick/crutch....??

As I always use a crutch...
    hugs freesia xxx
  • Helenbothknees
    Helenbothknees Member Posts: 487
    Options
    freesia, I believe it's with whatever you normally use to walk. My 84 year old friend, who has two THRs and one TKR, always uses a stick, and she got turned down after many years because she said she could manage to walk 50 yards. Needless to say, she's furious! She told them 50 yards wouldn't even get her from the disabled parking places to the supermarket, never mind round it, but I don't think it's made any difference.
  • Rewter
    Rewter Member Posts: 77
    Options
    As far as I was aware, most insurance companies ask the question do you have any medical conditions that need to be informed to the DVLA.

DVLA's website does make reference to Arthritis and you do not need to inform them with this condition if you motor vehicle does not need to be adapted in order for you to use it.
  • earthspirit
    earthspirit Bots Posts: 278
    Options
    having a blue badge makes absolutely no difference to your insurance but if you have adjustments made in your car to make driving easier you do need to notify dvla and insurance.
    as one poster is saying some company offering discount to bb holders

i had to pay £90 for a medical for dvla assessment as i was told i had to tell them about my disability and was too truthful about not being able to walk so they got sh*tty with me. i passed no problem just a bit poorer

you do not need to notify dvla about rheumatoid arthritis as stated on their website and during numerous conversations i had.

you only have to tell insurers if you have heart issues or have some illness which makes you less than a competent driver. if you got arthur and arent fit to drive then you shouldnt be driving!!!!