Hi, Welcome!

The community is a safe space for people living with and connected to arthritis to ask questions and share experiences. Get started by registering here and posting your first comment or question!

Sign In with a Versus Arthritis account

sudden finger pain

malls290malls290 Posts: 3
Hi,
I have had a few odd aches and pains in my fingers over the years. But I have noticed that it is now daily and in all my fingers, and not just the joints! I have made 2 changes in my lifestyle lately and am wondering if these have triggered something. I have started cycling for about half an hour each day and have also started eating muesli moistened with orange juice (as I don't drink milk) Could the orange juice be affecting my fingers? I always thought Vit C was good for joints?

Comments

• dreamdaisydreamdaisy Posts: 31,567 ✭✭✭
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I'm not a helpline person, just a forum member, but I for one find the acidity of fruit juice (and vinegar) too much for my beleaguered joints. Just because something is meant to be good for one doesn't mean it is: my Mum spent a deal of my childhood feeding me 'good' foods without realising that I was intolerant of Vit C and dairy. Even now my toast is not buttered and cereal is eaten dry. It tastes better! :) DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • malls290malls290 Posts: 3
    Thanks daisy - I do not think I am allergic to Vit C as have never had a problem before but it is not unknown to develop allergic reactions as we age!
  • helpline_teamhelpline_team Posts: 2,072
    Hi malls290

As dreamdaisy mentions sometimes foods and drinks that contain a high amount of acid (like orange juice) can affect you.

As you mention yourself you can also develop allergies to particular foods/drinks (even so called healthy ones).

You could always try and stop using orange juice for a couple of weeks and see if this improves things.

Also starting cycling may cause a bit of an ache/soreness in various muscles and joints, until your body gets more used to it.

All the best

Nick
    Helplines team