Hi, Welcome!

The community is a safe space for people living with and connected to arthritis to ask questions and share experiences. Get started by registering here and posting your first comment or question!

Sign In with a Versus Arthritis account

The benefits of owning a dog

joanlawsonjoanlawson Posts: 10,319
edited 13. Sep 2012, 19:43 in Community Chit-chat archive
As you might know, I have recently become a dog-owner for the first time in my life. My son has gone to live in Canada and has left his elderly dog, Venus, with us. Initially, I was reluctant to take her on as I thought that owning a dog would be hard work ( all that walking and clearing up after them ) However, I've now completely changed my mind and I'm thoroughly enjoying looking after Venus.

The main benefit is that she's making me walk more and I'm sure that the exercise is helping my arthritis. I'm finding that I can walk a little further each day, and my knees aren't so stiff. Hopefully, it will help me to lose some weight too.

Every morning I set off for a walk which I imagine will only take about 20 minutes, and I come back about an hour later. That's because I meet so many neighbours and other people with dogs on the way. It's also great when we go for a walk later in the day and end up in a pub garden for a drink. Venus immediately makes friends with everyone, and we get chatting to lots of people who otherwise probably wouldn't speak.

She is a springer spaniel with floppy ears and big feet which find every available muddy puddle and rabbit hole while out walking. She's made friends with my cat, Tommy, and I'm so pleased we've got her now.
Joan
c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif

Comments

  • MelrymaxMelrymax Posts: 226
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Thats lovely Joan. We had to rehome our dog as we didn't have the time for her and I really struggled walking her.... One of the big pros I found (with having young children) was that I only needed to brush up/ Hoover once a day rather than the now 3 times a day as she would eat all the kids crumbs and spills lol :)
  • georgie66georgie66 Posts: 403
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    i am pleased you are enjoying being a new dog owner Joan.
    my son had a Springer they are lovely dogs i am sure your son misses her in Canada. but pleased she has a good loving home .
    enjoy more happy hours with her
    georgie
  • appleroseapplerose Posts: 3,621
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    That's wonderful that you are enjoying your new dog. I had dogs all my life until about 10 years ago when I lost my Belle. I didn't get another dog as I am not at home enough to look after one. I do miss her still. It is great getting out walking and meeting people.
    Christine
  • LignumVitaeLignumVitae Posts: 1,972
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Welcome to a great little community Joan, dog walkers can be fab! Walking my dogs is a medicine for me, it's also a great way for me to measure how my health is changing and monitor how things are going in terms of whether I find a walk harder or easier than last time I did it. luckily, on really bad days I can call on Mr LV or my best friend to help out with dog walks. Equally, my dog walking friends will often help me out by meeting up with me so our dogs can play and exercise each other when I'm not doing well. Nothing can bring about a giggle like my two spotty boys who usually play the clown better than any comedian I know!
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • dachshunddachshund Posts: 7,837 ✭✭✭
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello Joan
    how right you are it's lovely owning a dog i've had one since
    i was a child they are so much fun and all they ask for his a drink and some food but they give so much back.
    i take my dog for a walk on my scoota as i cannot walk very far
    then he sits on when he is tired he is maxi a mini dashchund
    you dont train a dog they train you.
    take care joan tommy and venus.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • PetitessePetitesse Posts: 62
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    That sounds so wonderful Joan. I am sure the exercise is good and she sounds like a great icebreaker for meeting new people and have a chat :)
  • valvalvalval Posts: 15,897
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    they do make you go out at times when you would other wise put it off. also never mind how down you feel they always make you feel better and always happy to see you val
    val
  • joanlawsonjoanlawson Posts: 10,319
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Thanks for all your replies. I've discovered another benefit of owning a dog today. My grandchildren have come to stay and they are loving to have a dog to play with. Venus is having the time of her life :D
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • frogmellafrogmella Posts: 1,115
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    My dogs have kept me sane! Having to go out for them is the best medicine. I am so glad you are enjoying being a dog owner. I love springers, I have to say I have never met a sane one though (in a nice way!) they always have a slightly mad look in their eyes!
  • joanlawsonjoanlawson Posts: 10,319
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    In answer to your question, Tody, she was named after the tennis player, Venus Williams. My son didn't choose the name as she already had it when he got her, but we think it suits her anyway because she's very beautiful as you can see from this photo.

    th_DSC03970.jpg

    Seen here with my cat, Tommy (now friends )

    th_DSC03980.jpg
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • dachshunddachshund Posts: 7,837 ✭✭✭
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello Joan Tommy and Venus
    thank you for putting up the photo's they are lovely and venus is a nice colour.
    take care all
    joan & sue
    xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • LignumVitaeLignumVitae Posts: 1,972
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Beautiful! Tommy looks just like my cat, Charlie Parker, who is tiny but takes no rubbish from any dog, big or small!
    Thanks for putting the shots up, love the name Venus, miles better to have a name nobody else is shouting!! LV xx
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • suncatchersuncatcher Posts: 2,174
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    We are getting a dog. A miniature schnauzer.She is still with her mom. we are visiting her again tomorrow. We hope to bring her home at the end of September. I am busy preparing for her. Reading all i can. I have checked out local training and looking around at anything to do with dogs. I feel like im having a baby again. I am getting up early now so i will be ready for her when she comes. We are talking about the walks we can take her on. My son is looking forward to the time she can walk to school with us. Long way off i know. :D I have never owned a dog so i am wanting to get things right for her. I am determined to be a good mom to her. from joanne
    Joanne
  • suncatchersuncatcher Posts: 2,174
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    We are getting a dog. A miniature schnauzer.She is still with her mom. we are visiting her again tomorrow. We hope to bring her home at the end of September. I am busy preparing for her. Reading all i can. I have checked out local training and looking around at anything to do with dogs. I feel like im having a baby again. I am getting up early now so i will be ready for her when she comes. We are talking about the walks we can take her on. My son is looking forward to the time she can walk to school with us. Long way off i know. :D I have never owned a dog so i am wanting to get things right for her. I am determined to be a good mom to her. from joanne
    Joanne
  • joanlawsonjoanlawson Posts: 10,319
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Joanne,
    How lovely that you are getting a dog. :D I'm sure that she will bring you lots of love and fun, and your son will feel very proud when he can walk her to school.
    Venus is now very settled and happy with us, and I'm enjoying having her more than I could have imagined. My son is returning home for a short time in November, so it will be interesting to see how Venus reacts when she sees him again.

    Joan :D
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • skezierskezier Posts: 12,150
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Oh Joan springers are just pure magic and not like any other dog :D I lost mine when she was 17 and sooner of later there will be another.

    What I would say though ./.... have had two dogs dumped on me just recently and well while folk might like to get a dog they also need to think is this the right dog!

    Tell you Joan I get tired of sorting out damaged animals cus folk didn;t think... and one of these is a real challenge while the other is going to be rehomed as he is a nice dog and is coming good quickish really.

    Just need the right experienced home for him :lol::lol: I kinda thinking thats going to take a bit of time :lol::lol: Now if he were a springer I would keep him for sure......

    Really glad you got her and hope she will bring you as much pleasure as Pip did me :D Cris x
  • sanmar63sanmar63 Posts: 117
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    joanlawson wrote:
    As you might know, I have recently become a dog-owner for the first time in my life. My son has gone to live in Canada and has left his elderly dog, Venus, with us. Initially, I was reluctant to take her on as I thought that owning a dog would be hard work ( all that walking and clearing up after them ) However, I've now completely changed my mind and I'm thoroughly enjoying looking after Venus.

    The main benefit is that she's making me walk more and I'm sure that the exercise is helping my arthritis. I'm finding that I can walk a little further each day, and my knees aren't so stiff. Hopefully, it will help me to lose some weight too.

    Every morning I set off for a walk which I imagine will only take about 20 minutes, and I come back about an hour later. That's because I meet so many neighbours and other people with dogs on the way. It's also great when we go for a walk later in the day and end up in a pub garden for a drink. Venus immediately makes friends with everyone, and we get chatting to lots of people who otherwise probably wouldn't speak.

    She is a springer spaniel with floppy ears and big feet which find every available muddy puddle and rabbit hole while out walking. She's made friends with my cat, Tommy, and I'm so pleased we've got her now.
    Joan
    I'm so pleased for you Joan. I've always had dogs, but after losing my old lad in December (A 14yr old Golden Retriever called Oliver) I decided that I couldn't go through the heartbreak again. The longer I don't have one, the less I actually want another one (thank goodness) Give your Venus a big cuddle from me and I hope you have many happy years together! Sandra xxx
  • joanlawsonjoanlawson Posts: 10,319
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    skezier wrote:
    Oh Joan springers are just pure magic and not like any other dog :D I lost mine when she was 17 and sooner of later there will be another.

    What I would say though ./.... have had two dogs dumped on me just recently and well while folk might like to get a dog they also need to think is this the right dog!

    Tell you Joan I get tired of sorting out damaged animals cus folk didn;t think... and one of these is a real challenge while the other is going to be rehomed as he is a nice dog and is coming good quickish really.

    Just need the right experienced home for him :lol::lol: I kinda thinking thats going to take a bit of time :lol::lol: Now if he were a springer I would keep him for sure......

    Really glad you got her and hope she will bring you as much pleasure as Pip did me :D Cris x

    Hi Cris, How lovely to see you posting on CC again :D I totally agree with you that people should think hard before getting a dog. They are too often treated like possessions which can be discarded once the novelty wears off. It makes me very angry that some people don't use their common sense about animals.

    I would never agree to having a dog while I was out at work full-time, much to my daughter's dismay when she was young. She was desperate to have a dog, but it wouldn't have been fair to leave it alone all day. We always had cats instead, with a cat-flap in the door so that they could come and go as they wanted.

    Now I'm retired, I've got all the time in the world to look after Venus, so she's getting lots of company and love. My daughter, who is now grown-up with a family of her own, has a lovely Springer spaniel called Bruno, so her wish for a dog has been granted at last.

    I really admire the way that you care for unwanted animals, Cris.
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • joanlawsonjoanlawson Posts: 10,319
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    sanmar63 wrote:
    I'm so pleased for you Joan. I've always had dogs, but after losing my old lad in December (A 14yr old Golden Retriever called Oliver) I decided that I couldn't go through the heartbreak again. The longer I don't have one, the less I actually want another one (thank goodness) Give your Venus a big cuddle from me and I hope you have many happy years together! Sandra xxx

    I'm sorry that you lost your dog, Sandra. That's the worst thing about having a pet; it's as though you lose a member of your family when they die. Venus is 14, and has some health problems, but we hope she will live for a few more years at least.

    We weren't going to have another cat when our old one died, but then a stray suddenly appeared from nowhere. How could we say no to Tommy :?: We think that our old cat looked down from Heaven and told Tommy that there was a vacancy at our house :D

    DSC02188.jpg
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
Sign In or Register to comment.