Been to the doctors!

Options
woodbon
woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
edited 27. Aug 2012, 04:33 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello,
I've not been too well recently, lots of pain and tiredness.

Well, I finally went to see the doctor, not my GP but another one as my doc is on longterm sick leave. I knew in advance that he is good, as he treats my husband.

He let me tell him about all the problems I've been having and said that, as I have been told before, he thinks its OA and Fibro, and my medication is correct for that, but I have to have a blood test for about 7 things so that he knows that I don't need more treatment for them.

It was really nice to talk to someone who seemed interested in me and what I could do. Also, wanting to make sure that nothing else is lurking in the backgound! :o It does make you feel better that its being taken seriously. My GP is like that, but she's been away for about 6 months and the locums I've seen havn't been very helpful. Anyway, thats the story so far!
I'm a bit better some days, but have to be very careful not to over do things on good days!!! Love Sue

Comments

• LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Getting a medic who will listen is one of the most reassuring things. I'm glad you have found one. I hope your symptoms settle down and you feel better soon. LV xx
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Sue
    Its really does make a diffidence when they will sit and listen, its not much to ask , but they are few and far between.
    I do hope you get some answers very soon xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • Soretoe2
    Soretoe2 Member Posts: 198
    Options
    Hello woodbon,
    It's really nice to hear a positive account of a good caring doctor. I'd stick with him if I were you.
    My lovely gp has gone on a years maternity leave and so far I've been passed around locums like an old parcel.
    Hope you have had a good day today and not overdone things. Good luck when you get your results, do hope they bring you positive news and things get sorted out for you. Joy
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    When they really listen that's part of the problem solved.Mig
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Thank you. Yes, being listened to is a big part of treating someone as a person and the patient is much more likely to listen and take the advice. Well, I am! He explained that my medication is right and he dosn't want to change anything, which I agree with. He encouraged me to take things slowly and rest even if I feel I can do more!

He takes time and has a general chat about things and made me feel like an equal not just another patient. I'll stick with him. He's been great with my husband and lets him decide on the amount of medication each day. (My o/h is a type 2 diabetic).
    Love Suexxx
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi Sue
    What a positive report......such a change from GP's that watch the clock then get up and walk to the door when you have had your 10 mins :(
    As others say....listening is the main part of the apoointment {or should be} He sounds a keeper :D

Love
    Hileena
  • suzygirl
    suzygirl Member Posts: 2,005
    Options
    Glad to hear that you have been listened to. There are some fantastic docs out there.