DLA following TKR ?

Options
SteveBurns
SteveBurns Member Posts: 177
edited 28. Aug 2012, 07:15 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi :) has anyone applied for DLA after having a TKR?

One of the qualifications is the condition must be at least three months old but after that if the knee still causes grief I believe we could qualify for the award?

Think about walking with one or two sticks, climbing stairs using one leg leading all the time, down stairs the same, difficulty bending the leg, putting on socks and shoes, sleeping, getting out of bed, into/out of the car, pain while driving, walking round the shops, standing, etc. etc. .....................................................

Interested to know if anyone has been successful following an operation that is supposed to help us to get better and have a normal life that is extremely slow to work properly.

Comments

• Helenbothknees
    Helenbothknees Member Posts: 487
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Steve, I applied a couple of months before my operation, and I got it for a year - and they know I've now had a bilateral TKR. As far as I remember, it has to be a condition which is expected to last for at least 6 months. It's down to how much pain you're in while walking over very short distances, and whether you need help doing simple tasks in the home (you don't need to actually get the help). Someone here may know more, and in any case, it's worth a try. But either get help from the CAB, or read up about it on the internet, because a lot depends on how you fill in the form.
  • babytiger
    babytiger Member Posts: 360
    Options
    Good luck Steve,I applied for it about 5 months into my TKR and was refused due to being able to walk painfully and slowly for up to 5 minutes. That was their excuse for refusing me.
    Eileen
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Steve
    Sorry I cant help, but I do wish you good luck with it, please let us know how you get on x
    Love
    Barbara
  • SteveBurns
    SteveBurns Member Posts: 177
    Options
    Interesting response to this, one good one not so good and the other wishing good luck. (Something we all need).

Thanks to all, I'll wait until three months has passed for my claim and let you know how I get on. :)
  • Helenbothknees
    Options
    Steve, how bad were you before the TKR? If in the state most of us were, why wait three months? You might be better by then, and then you won't get it.
  • loovechocolate
    loovechocolate Member Posts: 77
    Options
    Just a thought here - if you are able to go to the gym and do the stuff you are now able to do on the cross trainer, rower etc, I wouldn't hold out much hope, have read horrid cases of people who can hardly move being turned down, just a thought
  • Helenbothknees
    Options
    If I'm remembering rightly - and my memory is awful - you need to be in severe pain when walking for less than 50 yards/metres for the mobility element. For the care element, there are a few different levels, but I think you need to have difficulty with stairs, or difficulty getting up from a chair, trouble cooking for yourself, and so on. If you can honestly answer that's the case, you're in with a chance. They then either check with your GP, or if they don't get a reply (as with mine) they may send out one of their independent assessors. So loovechocolate could well be right...but it still may be worth a try; don't ask, don't get.