Cycling

Melrymax
Melrymax Member Posts: 226
edited 31. Aug 2012, 07:03 in Living with Arthritis archive
Well I have thought and thought about taking up cycling - i can take it nice and easy alongside the kids (5&3)
when I have mentioned I am considering cycling people have looked at me as if I have told them I have decided to work in a strip club lol- apparently I couldn't even consider cycling the way my hips are, and being pregnant too its apparently just a terrible idea.
Well I borrowed my dads bike this evening (he has been very supportive of this decision) and I done a steady 3 mile ride with the children and it was great! I was cycling and not really having pain as I wasn't carrying weight on the movement and can't wait to go out again!

Comments

• Petitesse
    Petitesse Member Posts: 62
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Haha..the strip club part made me laugh Meryl :lol:

Wow, I am impressed. It sounds great if you can do that with bad hips and pregnant. And it is so great to find ways to exercise that you find enjoyable.

I absolutely love my new bungy exercise sticks. Even though I always thought people look like complete idiots with those :D
  • Melrymax
    strip club.... The only thing i could think off that may come as a shock to people i know!
    I think after the baby I will build up distance and use it as proper exercise and hopefully shift baby weight as well as really strengthen hip muscles. I am coming up to 30 weeks so only hopefully 2 months left lol. Not sure what bungy sticks are?
  • Petitesse
    Petitesse Member Posts: 62
    Oh only 2 months left - getting close. That must be so exciting! :)

I am not sure if I am allowed to put this link or if it is considered advertising?
    But as far as I know the bungy thingies are a very new product, so only one company makes them. They are walking poles, but with weight restistance to train the arms too while walking.

http://www.bungypump.se/eng/main/modules/page.asp?sid=1
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Hi Mel

Wonderful to hear that you have been out cycling and really enjoyed it. I ride my bike locally most of the time, long before my two total knee replacements were done (two years apart) and as soon as possible again post ops along with the exercise bike daily too for about 10 minutes of hard pedalling. :D I too found because cycling is non-weightbearing it is painfree. The only problem may be getting on and off the bike. :lol:

I have been for long bike rides with hubby too again before my knee ops and after but since my spinal op a year ago I must admit that I have not done the long excursions. I think I should seriously think about getting a much lighter bike than the one I have at the moment and that would help.

Happy cycling

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • Melrymax
    Those sprungy sticks look interesting! Yes starting to get excited now and can't wait for it to be over lol.
    Elna- I am looking at getting a hybrid bike- not exactly
    Cheap but worth the extra money I think in order to keep pain levels down. My 5 year olds bike weighs almost twice as much as my dads bike !!!!! I was looking at the trek 7.2fx I think.
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Hi
    I envy you being able to cycle.......we live in a really hilly part of the country. Northumberland and I doubt that i could cycle here with these hills. I'm not fit anyway even if it was reasonably flat but at least I could get into training.
    Its a low impact sport and it will do you good being able to get out on it.
    Good luck with it
    Love
    Hileena
  • Colin1
    Colin1 Member Posts: 1,769
    Well done Melrymax
    at least your making the effort and its so important to self help
    nice one
    Colin
    WHEN GOD GIVES YOU LEMONS MAKE LEMONADE
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    That's fantastic! I remember hopping on a bike for the first time after I'd been diagnosed, after I got back home I had an odd sensation which I'd forgotten, it was an adrenaline rush and that got me a bit addicted to cycling for a while. It's a fantastic exercise, non- weight bearing, toning, good for core stability (and therefore a great prelabour exercise), great cardio vascular...the list goes on.

It's a tribute to you that you had a go despite the lap dancer looks and whilst pretty heavily pregnant...there are plenty of women without arthritis who don't have the guts to do that!

Go girl, you're an inspiration, you're brave and a fine example to your children!
    LV xx
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • SteveBurns
    SteveBurns Member Posts: 177
    There are pedal bikes with a motor, not sure how they work but you pedal as normal until you need some help then the motor kicks in.

Could be expensive but would help with hills :)
  • marrianne
    marrianne Member Posts: 1,161
    SteveBurns wrote:
    There are pedal bikes with a motor, not sure how they work but you pedal as normal until you need some help then the motor kicks in.

Could be expensive but would help with hills :)
    .......Ah like the sound of that :lol::lol: ,how :lol: however well done to the .rest of you be careful though and dont forget your helmets ,the sticks sound good Steve Marrianne :)
  • babytiger
    babytiger Member Posts: 360
    All the best with your cycling, I'm jealous..would love to be back on a bike.I always cycled before my TKR as it was non weight bearing exercise. Good luck with bump as well
    Eileen x
  • Melrymax
    As thank you for all yOur encouragement :) I do like the idea of the motor helping on hills :P
    It was an exercise In its self to get off the bike tonight (having one of my not so good days) but I did it lol. Will definately be getting a ladies bike where I don't need to lift my leg so high!!! :D
  • tanith
    tanith Member Posts: 175
    I too found getting on and off a real problem after THR so I bought one of those bikes with a really low step over frame now its not problem I love my bike for all those small close to home trips...
    Our worst times are always our best lessons.
  • LesBrown
    LesBrown Member Posts: 37
    Hmmm,I've been looking at my bike,after reading this I might just give it a go!
  • Nicchick
    Nicchick Member Posts: 191
    I love my bike too! I hope you find the getting on and off bit worth the thrill of moving around at speed and in a relatively pain-free manner.

Am suitably impressed that you are doing it with a 'bump' attached too! :) brilliant example for the little ones too - my son always had far more stamina than his mates!

People always tell me I must be superfit and healthy as I'm always on my bike but as I don't drive and my feet are bad it's definitely the way to go for me....and when I have to get off and walk I have a deluxe walking frame right there!

Nx