Hello from the Isle of Man

manxygirl
manxygirl Member Posts: 5
edited 27. Aug 2012, 16:40 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello everyone. I am new to the forum and have suffered with osteoarthritis since my mid teens although at the time I was unaware that this is what was going on. :roll:

I had a total dislocated right femoral epiphysis at the age of 12 and due to this and the 3 1/2 inch screw being taken out too early I developed the arthritis.

I was not informed until about 4 years ago that I had the condition although from my medical records (which I requested) I have had this since about 16/17.

It has developed so severly in the time I didn't know that I now have only one choice a full right hip replacement at the age of 27.

I have had to give up my 3 jobs some of my hobbies like jogging, bagminton and walking and suffer daily with severe pain and lack of movement. I have felt alone and like a freak as I had no contact with anyone else who suffers from the condition.

My mum has RA and joined Arthritis care ellan vannin and she invited me along. I was so happy to be able to talk to other people with arthritis and find that there is support out there.

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello, we're here, listening, understanding and empathising (although some of us a older than you). I too have had to stop many things I loved doing but I reckon that applies to most of us who are struggling with these on-going arthritic conditions I began with an auto-immune version and the joint damage that caused has led to OA in my knees and ankles. It's not a great life but it's the one I have so I have to try to make the best of it - mind you on some days that is easier than others. :wink:

I hope you find the forum to be a place for information and support, we know our stuff and have a wealth of experience with the trials and tribulations of this disease. The new hip could make all the difference to the quality of your life and that is the thought to keep in mind. There are many THR veterans on here who are out and about and doing stuff so I hope they see your post and can reassure you that it can be the start of something so much better. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • manxygirl
    Hi DD, yeh it is an unfortunate part of the conditions, that we can no longer do some of the things we love.

I have found it very difficult receiving no information from doctors or specilists about the support system that is in place, they have given me all the information on the condition and what needs to be done, the outcome and the future for me.

I am currently still waiting for my hip replacement as need to lose weight but finding it very difficult.

Some days are better then others but I am very lucky to have a very supportive husband who cares for me and understands that I am not being lazy or over dramatic I am actually in that much pain and the arthritis care team on the island are wonderfull :D.
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    welcome you are no longer alone you have loads of new friends here to suport you val
    val
  • manxygirl
    Hi Val,

Thanks its fab :)
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I don't think that there is a support system as such, I think it's very much left to the individual to make what they will of the whole malarkey. I am aware that when one is diagnosed with cancer everything is swung into place viz support, benefits, counselling etc but arthritis lacks that essential 'glamour'. There are some on here who have experienced and survived cancer but that sort of help is not there for arthritis, its sheer ubiquity is its downfall. 'Oh, it's only arthritis' is the comment I've heard from docs and friends. Luckily for them they don't have a clue what that means. :wink: And, luckily for me, I found AC. I don't think there is anywhere else quite like this but I confess that once I discovered it I stopped looking.

Right, my bile is rising, it's time to go. I'll be back tomorrow when I'm more in tune with the world (it's been a tough day). I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • 7worlds
    7worlds Member Posts: 302
    Hey Manxygirl. Welcome to the forum. I have RA ,but my niece had a hip replacement at your age and she said that it was the best thing that could have happened to her. She says it has given her her life back. Hopefully you will have the same positive experience. In the meantime,we are here if you need a chat. You can bet that someone here will have an answer to anything you want to chat about.

7worlds
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Hi Manx girl,

Just wanted to add my welcome- I have RA and don't have your experiences, but I have found this forum a godsend with folks always there to listen, care and share. Hope you get the help and support you need.

Deb x
  • Soretoe2
    Soretoe2 Member Posts: 198
    Hello manxygirl,
    Hope you are already feeling that you are no longer alone with your pain and suffering. I have had RA and OA since age 3, and am now nearly 60 and very disabled by it all. It's been a long road and like you I've had to give up many things and not even been able to start things I'd have loved to have had a go at. On the other hand I have been supremely lucky in having a wonderfully supportive family.
    I just wanted to say hello and hope that things improve for you soon.
    If I were you I'd go for the new hip, it will change your life for the better. I know of several people younger than you who have had very successful hip replacements.
    You sound as if you've got a lovely mum there, worth more than gold itself. So take care of yourself and think positive. Joy
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Hi Manxygirl,
    Welcome to the forum.....I dont think there is any support system as such. You should get all the support you need from here, from the helpline if necessary and from a local Arthritis Care Meeting if there is one near you.
    I'm in my 60's and have OA in hips and lower spine and a few other spinal problems.
    You do find there are things you cant do any longer but there are things that you can adapt the way you do them....if that makes sense.
    Any questions, just ask....One person probably wont be able to answer your questions but between the lot of us you should get some answers :D
    I've had a hip replacement and hadnt a clue what it involved. Found this forum and asked loads of questions and got loads of answers. :wink:
    The other thing is ...come on and talk/moan to us as well.....no one ...no matter how supportive....if they havent got arthritis really understands. I have a great husband but know that he cant understand because he doesnt have it.
    We all do...in one form or another.
    Love
    Hileena