Operation Date Cant Come Soon Enough

Options
elainebadknee
elainebadknee Bots Posts: 3,703
edited 2. Sep 2012, 07:13 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi

Those who know me will know ive battled for over 2years to get a new knee, am age 43 and that was against me along with weight that have now lost 3.5stone...
In June got a letter from Wrigtington where im going for my operation that my pre ope assessment date would be September 27th 2012. That was great and I can honestly day im looking forward to getting this operation and being out of pain and getting back to some sort of the normal agility i should have.
Spent the weekend away and although didnt do a huge amout of walking more than normal, went shopping got a couple of tops for holiday which is day after pre op date...The same night after watching telly got up out of chair and had horrible crunching pain down medial and underkneecap area...Thought it would pass with a nights sleep but it hasnt and is still excruitiating, had to stop halfway round a 15min walk with my dad to post office and back home to sit down...Id just love a date for surgery now and get it all over and done with, recover...After all this time I know another month wont harm me but the pain seems to be saying "i need this now"...
Sorry for moaning!! :cry:

Elainex

Comments

• julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Elaine

Sorry that your knee is causing you more grief. :( I guess just try not to over do things and hopefully your surgery will not be too long after the pre ops on the 27th. Fingers crossed for you. :)

Take care
    Juliepf x
  • kathbee
    kathbee Member Posts: 934
    Options
    Well done on the weight loss Elaine.
    Sorry to hear your knee has got so painful
    but if need be, phone and ask about cancellations and keep pestering them if you need to.

You never know, it may be earlier rather than later that you get it done.
    I did that whilst waiting for my hip replacement and I did get offered a cancellation quite a few weeks before my intended date.

Kath
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Elaine
    I know your battle well, and if it wasn't for you the op would not be happening, the pain sound awful, you try and nurse it before your holiday,and hopefully the appointment wont be long.
    And dont apologise for moaning, you deserve a moan.
    Take care and have a lovely holiday xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Hi Julie, long time no see!

Well I never overdo things as think ive basically got the life of a pensioner!! No direspect to them, I live with two and they are more active than me! Im hoping at the pre op they will say in about another month or so, PLEASE!!

Elainex
    julie47 wrote:
    Hi Elaine

Sorry that your knee is causing you more grief. :( I guess just try not to over do things and hopefully your surgery will not be too long after the pre ops on the 27th. Fingers crossed for you. :)

Take care
    Juliepf x
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Hi Kath

Well I have pushed this pre op date as they wanted me to wait till now then get an appointment for that.....I am on holiday on 28th for 11days but basically after I get back im up for the operation...If it could be beginning of october would be fabulous! I will stress to them I will come in as soon as is physically possible...

Thanks..

Elainex
    kathbee wrote:
    Well done on the weight loss Elaine.
    Sorry to hear your knee has got so painful
    but if need be, phone and ask about cancellations and keep pestering them if you need to.

You never know, it may be earlier rather than later that you get it done.
    I did that whilst waiting for my hip replacement and I did get offered a cancellation quite a few weeks before my intended date.

Kath
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Hi Barbara

Yes you do know my struggle well dont you, bless!
    It just seems to different, more agressive pain at moment...Im looking forward to my pre op more than my birthday at moment, its kinda more important!

Elainex
    barbara12 wrote:
    Hi Elaine
    I know your battle well, and if it wasn't for you the op would not be happening, the pain sound awful, you try and nurse it before your holiday,and hopefully the appointment wont be long.
    And dont apologise for moaning, you deserve a moan.
    Take care and have a lovely holiday xx
  • loovechocolate
    loovechocolate Member Posts: 77
    Options
    oh bless your not moaning, I know that pain and it's not funny your pre op date will come round fast now, if I may be so bold start doing muscle exercises NOW I wish I had it will help you honest post op do a google search you'll find them, if you know what to do now you'll find it easier after the op.
    Good luck
  • Helenbothknees
    Helenbothknees Member Posts: 487
    Options
    Elaine, I know just how you feel. I was desperate to get mine done, as I was getting less and less mobile - don't think I'd have managed a 15 minute walk! Then came my pre-op assessment, and the doc asked, "When would you like it done". I said "ASAP", and he said they had a gap Sunday if I wanted it - this was Thursday afternoon! I panicked a bit, but if I hadn't accepted that, I'd only now be going in, according to estimates. As it is, I'm just over 7 weeks post-op, have nearly as much flexibility as before, and am starting to enjoy walks and going round the supermarket again - though I still take a lot of painkillers. So it could be sooner than you think. Emphasise that you're willing to take a short notice cancellation (after your holiday of course) and get ready to go in at a moment's notice.... It's early days for me yet, but I already know it's worth it.
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Oh Elaine
    Thats fantastic news after all the fighting you have done.....losing weight etc. They would never have agreed to it if you hadnt pushed so much....well done
    Sorry to hear about the pain..that must be awful.....try and relax as much as possible.....I know you dont usually overdo things so hopefully things will be OK for the OP date.....if not keep pushing for a cancellation.
    Love
    Hileena
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Hi Ilovechocolate

Well my muscles shouldnt be too bad as have been following a gym one-to-one program for well over a year now, do that once or twice a week and also do hydrotherapy twice a week, so I hope to be in not bad shape as i do a lot of exercises that do strengthen my quads, etc...Hopefully that will make a wee bit of difference after my op?

Elainex
    oh bless your not moaning, I know that pain and it's not funny your pre op date will come round fast now, if I may be so bold start doing muscle exercises NOW I wish I had it will help you honest post op do a google search you'll find them, if you know what to do now you'll find it easier after the op.
    Good luck
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Hi Helen

I do honestly think im getting to that stage as mentioned I do gym and hydro but my walking is getting more and more harder...With normal fit people they get stronger but with me I tire more easily, dont have enough fuel in the tank to spur me on...
    I swear if i go on 27th Sept and they ask me if can be in say mid to end of october id be happy and i say that cos I really do need to go through this operation now, whether i come out of it good, bad or indifferent, the time is now..I will say to them can go in asap after hols...
    Youve done really well i must say, have followed your story and youre some woman! Great to hear you have no regrets and you know its been worth it already...

Elainex
    Elaine, I know just how you feel. I was desperate to get mine done, as I was getting less and less mobile - don't think I'd have managed a 15 minute walk! Then came my pre-op assessment, and the doc asked, "When would you like it done". I said "ASAP", and he said they had a gap Sunday if I wanted it - this was Thursday afternoon! I panicked a bit, but if I hadn't accepted that, I'd only now be going in, according to estimates. As it is, I'm just over 7 weeks post-op, have nearly as much flexibility as before, and am starting to enjoy walks and going round the supermarket again - though I still take a lot of painkillers. So it could be sooner than you think. Emphasise that you're willing to take a short notice cancellation (after your holiday of course) and get ready to go in at a moment's notice.... It's early days for me yet, but I already know it's worth it.
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Hileena

Yes its been a long hard road and its pushed me right to my limits but have had to fight it and now im just going over the last big hill on my journey....The new pain is hellish, finding it really hard, wearing me down...I'll get there but the sooner the better!

Elainex
    hileena111 wrote:
    Oh Elaine
    Thats fantastic news after all the fighting you have done.....losing weight etc. They would never have agreed to it if you hadnt pushed so much....well done
    Sorry to hear about the pain..that must be awful.....try and relax as much as possible.....I know you dont usually overdo things so hopefully things will be OK for the OP date.....if not keep pushing for a cancellation.
    Love
    Hileena
  • Helenbothknees
    Options
    Youve done really well i must say, have followed your story and youre some woman! Great to hear you have no regrets and you know its been worth it already...

Elaine, thank you and you're very kind. But really, I'm nothing special! I've had bad and good days too, and I came on here originally because I felt isolated after the op and needed support. You're no different from me, and you'll be FINE! I'm crossing my fingers for an October op for you.
    Helen x
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Helen

Well I think you must be a very very fit lady and thats why youre recovering so well and quick....Im not as fit but havent got high blood pressure or anything like that, got a few allergies that i take medication for so hopefully will come through it reasonably well...
    Maybe I'll be able to see Hall "o" ween with an impressive scar to scare the trick or treaters away! Will have difficulty finding something to wear as i always wear trousers and the feeling of fabric on the scar will feel strange and im not really a skirt girl, not in winter too!

Elainex

Elaine, thank you and you're very kind. But really, I'm nothing special! I've had bad and good days too, and I came on here originally because I felt isolated after the op and needed support. You're no different from me, and you'll be FINE! I'm crossing my fingers for an October op for you.
    Helen x[/quote]
  • Helenbothknees
    Options
    Hi Elaine,

I used to be really fit, but that was many, many years ago. I've slowed down more and more over the last few years, mainly due to the arthritis, but also I'm 64 now not 24, and sometimes beginning to feel it. :cry: I did yoga right up to before the op, and walked up stairs two at a time until it became impossible, and tried to keep my muscles in reasonable shape, but calling me fit would be a gross exaggeration. I've been lucky, and also I really worked at my exercises, right from after the op, even when I didn't feel up to it. I think that's the key, if there is one.

I'm not a skirt girl either, but I took one into hsopital for straight after the op. As soon as I came home I wore loose linen trousers which I've found to be fine on the scar. I tried other trousers/jeans early on and they rubbed, but I've just been out for the evening wearing 'smart' trousers, and I've realised they seem to be ok now. So with any luck you should be OK after a few weeks, but again, we're all different. Why not treat yourself to a skirt which you really like, or even a pair of very wide loose trousers, something you feel comfortable in anyway, and made of a soft material that hopefully won't rub. As for it being winter....keep the heating on! At least you won't end up being reminded that you need to rub sunblock into scar tissue, as I did! And just think, you'll be fit and well for next summer!

Good luck!

Helen
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Hi Helen

Ive never been fit, not in my life but ironically am fittest have ever been but now have bursitis of hips and bunions to boot too!
    Im in the best condition I can be in thats all I can say and if that stands me in at least fair way for the operation and recovery then I'll be happy...I am worried that as ive walked with a straight leg for about 2years that wont come back after my operation and I'll eb stuck with that habit, my dad says he fears that too....

I do have some wide leg trousers but they are all sumemrish but will have to look out some wintery ones for just after op....My legs will be all hairy and prickly too with not having shaved for ages so will be like something out of Bedrock!! I remember you saying about the sunblock and then you wnated bio-oil and i said aldi did their own make and think it was under £7....I rememeber from my loose body removal ops that my scar was numb for so long and used to turn blue in cold and pink in hot weather....Oh the joys!

Thanks for all the tips...

Elainexx
    Hi Elaine,

I used to be really fit, but that was many, many years ago. I've slowed down more and more over the last few years, mainly due to the arthritis, but also I'm 64 now not 24, and sometimes beginning to feel it. :cry: I did yoga right up to before the op, and walked up stairs two at a time until it became impossible, and tried to keep my muscles in reasonable shape, but calling me fit would be a gross exaggeration. I've been lucky, and also I really worked at my exercises, right from after the op, even when I didn't feel up to it. I think that's the key, if there is one.

I'm not a skirt girl either, but I took one into hsopital for straight after the op. As soon as I came home I wore loose linen trousers which I've found to be fine on the scar. I tried other trousers/jeans early on and they rubbed, but I've just been out for the evening wearing 'smart' trousers, and I've realised they seem to be ok now. So with any luck you should be OK after a few weeks, but again, we're all different. Why not treat yourself to a skirt which you really like, or even a pair of very wide loose trousers, something you feel comfortable in anyway, and made of a soft material that hopefully won't rub. As for it being winter....keep the heating on! At least you won't end up being reminded that you need to rub sunblock into scar tissue, as I did! And just think, you'll be fit and well for next summer!

Good luck!

Helen
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    Sorry I missed this Elaine.

It won't be long now- at least you have a date now- there was a time when he considered you too young.

It just a case of keeping up the good work for just a little while longer and in the meantime you've got nice things to look forward too.

Elizabeth :D
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein