BLOOD TESTS WITH METHOTREXATE

butterflywings
butterflywings Member Posts: 25
My daughter has just been put onto Methotrexate and I was told she needs to have monthly blood tests for a few months.
I am putting dates into my diary as reminders to book these alongside the days of giving her the medicine, and my question is are the blood tests done the same date each month or is it 4-weekly
So if she had some bloods taken on 29th of the month is her next one due around 29th of next month?

Comments

• maria09
    maria09 Member Posts: 1,905
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi
    Its better to keep it to the same day as possible just so its easier to remember
    Im now on monthly blood test was having to have 1 every two weeks which was a pain as iI had to drive 45mins away from home as my Rheumy is in another Health care trust
    Same as you I heve keep the dates on the calendar so not to forget
    Hope your daughter is having good results with the medication
    Best wishes
    Maria
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,462
    My daughter has just been put onto Methotrexate and I was told she needs to have monthly blood tests for a few months.
    I am putting dates into my diary as reminders to book these alongside the days of giving her the medicine, and my question is are the blood tests done the same date each month or is it 4-weekly
    So if she had some bloods taken on 29th of the month is her next one due around 29th of next month?

Dear Butterflywings

Thank you for your posting on the forum. It is best to check with the rheumatology department about how often they will want to test your daughter and for specific dates as only they will know exactly when they wish to do the tests. Do you have a number for the department so that you can speak to a rheumatology nurse about exactly how often this will be? You may already have looked at this but our booklet ‘My child has arthritis – a practical guide for parents’ may be helpful in giving an outline to parents about main issues involved when your child has arthritis. You can access this on the link http://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/PublicationsandResources/Listedbytype/Booklets/Booklets2/main_content/MyChildHasArthritis2011.pdf
    I hope this is helpful.

Best Wishes
    Dawn
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello butterrflywings, I've been on meth for years and when I was on fortnightly tests I did them on the same day every time. When I was moved to monthly ones I stuck to the same date every month (whenever possible) so that everyone knew when my next figures would be coming in. I hope this helps. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • butterflywings
    butterflywings Member Posts: 25
    Thank you so much everyone for your advice.

I have spoken to the consultant and it seems that she has to have them every 4 weeks, so that's good.

She's not good with needles though, but I guess she'll have to get used to them.

She's only 12 - bless her - so she's taking her cuddly toy and me !!

X
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    It's tough enough for us grown-ups but for the younger ones? I am so sorry that your girl (and you) are having to go through this. I hope the meth helps, I really do. Good luck with it all. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben