How do you get classed as having a Disablity

Options
nonaproxin
nonaproxin Member Posts: 53
Hi to all....I have just joined the forum ...so it's all new to me....unlike my OA problems...
I have been off work long term sick after enduring a slipped disc followed by a big toe fusion for OA...During my treatment phase I was gven an MRI scan which revealed narrowing of T11 AND T12 DISC SPACE with disc dehydration at T12/L1.
Also further disc dehydration at L5 and L5 with disc narrowing(this was the site of my trapped L5 root nerve causing sciatica).
There are also "mild degenerative changes in the lower lumbar facet joints".
I think this means that I have OA of my facet joints ?. I now have further problems with my knee "crepitas" (OA again I think ? ) and am undergoing further investigation of this....I have more OA in the next toe to my big toe which was fused...and my finger on one hand is also giving me problems...OA ..I think

I have a very strong family history of both OA $ Ankylosing Spondylitis...
Struggling with work...on a phased return ...getting a bit of pressure from Occy Health about increasing my hours ...so I finally blurted out the above to them ..in order that they "back off " ...I told them I think I have a level of Disability which I feel they should take into account and make some reasonable adjustments to my work (I cannot bend down cos of back and knees).. I am not sure if I have done the right thing here by telling them but I was at the end of my tether..and cannot hide the fact that I am in pain and walking like quasimodo !!.

What I do next I don't really know..I have been told I need my Doctor to tell them I have a Disability in order to back up what I have said....Will he do that for me ...anyone advise please......panicking about being pushed out of job..they have mentioned (occy health) permenant health insurance...I don't want this I need to work , and can with adjustments to daily tasks.
SORRY ABOUT THE WAR A PEACE type posting....

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello nonaproxin. It's good to meet you although I'm not sure I can help with your request other than to suggest you copy it to the Living With Arthritis forum as more people hang out there.

I would imagine, though, that your GP would be willing to write a note to your work telling them of your difficulties. He might charge for it but I think he'd do it.

Anyway, if you try LWA I'm sure you'll get more replies. Good luck!
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • yaris
    yaris Member Posts: 96
    Options
    Hi had same problem with occy health I have oa in the knee I took my letter to him from the hospital as soon as he read it he sent letter to my works telling them I come under the 2010 act for disability and to look after me if you have any problems for a year or longer you come under the act
  • nonaproxin
    nonaproxin Member Posts: 53
    Options
    yaris wrote:
    Hi had same problem with occy health I have oa in the knee I took my letter to him from the hospital as soon as he read it he sent letter to my works telling them I come under the 2010 act for disability and to look after me if you have any problems for a year or longer you come under the act

Well thats good to know....I have a bit of a battle on my hands at the minute...But I have told them I have a disability...well I think I have....so they will eventually write to GP ...but there is some veiled threats going on..which really *iss me off ...I don't do threats...it just makes me more resolute in my quest for fair treatment.....

Watch this space as they say......
  • Trayce
    Trayce Member Posts: 110
    Options
    Gp and local social services maybe able to help