Darcy Bussell

Options
joanlawson
joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
edited 17. Sep 2012, 05:53 in Community Chit-chat archive
I've been watching Darcy Bussell on Strictly Come Dancing tonight. She is a judge on the show this year, but she also performed a dance. I think she is lovely; she is so elegant and beautiful when she dances, and a lovely personality too.

A couple of years ago, I was very fortunate to meet Darcy. I had seen her performing in a new show along with Katherine Jenkins, which was something quite new and different from the classical ballet Darcy is famous for.

After the show, we went for a drink in a bar in a nearby hotel, when suddenly Darcy and some of the dancers from the show appeared. They were celebrating the birthday of one of the cast.

As I stood at the bar to order a drink, Darcy came and stood right beside me, so I plucked up courage to speak to her. I told her how much I admired her as a ballet dancer, and that I had enjoyed the show we'd just seen. She was absolutely lovely, and she kept hold of my hand as she spoke to me.

She asked me what I thought of the show as it was so different from anything she'd done before ( she sang as well as danced in the show ) She wanted to know which parts of the show I had enjoyed the most. She also asked me how long I'd been a ballet fan, and showed genuine interest when I told her that learning ballet as a child had given me a life-long love of dance in all its forms. She said that she hoped her own children would enjoy dancing as much as she did, but she wouldn't push them into doing it if they weren't enthusiastic.

After that, she introduced me to some of the other dancers from the show, and I wished a happy birthday to one of them.
It really made my day, and I've never forgotten Darcy's kindness and friendliness. As one of the top ballet dancers in the world, she might have been unapproachable or unfriendly, but she was the exact opposite.

Joan
c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Joan, that's a lovely story. I don't 'do' the celeb thing. (Most are just talentless people who were in the right place at the right time with the right connections.) Darcy Bussell, however, is one very talented lady and it's good to know that someone with genuine talent can also be so genuinely friendly to her public. Good for her! Good for you!

I'm glad you had such a good time, both 'before' and 'after'.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    That is a lovely story Joan. I expect she was delighted to meet someone who had a genuine interest.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • knuckleduster
    knuckleduster Member Posts: 551
    Options
    I heard an interview with Darcy on the radio last week. She said she is always remembered for her mirror dance with Dawn French in The Vicar of Dibley. I too watched her in Strictly last night and thought her dance routine was excellent. Looking forward to when the series begins in earnest in October.

Janet
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    Options
    Ah Joan, thanks for sharing that, it's wonderful to know a prima Donna doesn't always behave as they're supposed to! I too adore ballet, if my body is going to be messy at least I can enjoy the elegance others can achieve. My mum's been taking me to ballet performances since I was tiny and if one day I have a daughter, I'll take her if she wants to go!
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    Options
    Thank you for your replies, Elizabeth, SW, Janet, and LV.

I wouldn't normally approach anyone famous as they must get really fed up with being pestered. I did hesitate about speaking to Darcy for that reason, but it seemed the chance of a lifetime to meet someone whom I've admired for years.

I would have been happy just to tell her how much I enjoyed her dancing, and leave it at that, but she continued the conversation with me. She shook hands with me, but then held my hand in hers as we spoke. I was very touched by this gesture of friendliness, and she was absolutely charming. Close up, she was even more beautiful than on TV.
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • knuckleduster
    knuckleduster Member Posts: 551
    Options
    About six years ago I met 60's heart throb Jess Conrad and he was still looking good! Also actress Sylvia Syms and she was lovely. I used to organise olde tyme rallies to raise money for our local children's hospice and they had kindly agreed to open the shows. I also met Richard Spendlove from the radio and the lovable Winston the Singing Farmer. Great days and they all gave freely of their time.

Janet x