Fashions in education

Options
joanlawson
joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
edited 19. Sep 2012, 08:18 in Community Chit-chat archive
When will politicians stop messing about with education :?:

They are constantly changing things according to the educational fashion of the day, and the teachers and children are always stuck in the middle. I've lost count of how many times the National Curriculum has been changed since it was introduced. The politicians never consulted teachers about it, but they could have saved a lot of time and money if they had. Teachers always knew that it had numerous faults, which made it almost unworkable in some cases.

Now the government wants to bring back the old 'O-level' system, but what about the less academic children :?: Are they going to be labelled as failures at 16 :?: I failed my 11+, so I know how it feels to be told that you're a failure. It took away my confidence for ages, although I went on to do well at O and A level eventually. This proved that I had the ability, even though I didn't perform well in the exam at the age of 11. If we tell a generation of teenagers that they are failures, I dread to think what the consequences will be. They can't all be academic, but what alternative are they to be offered :?:

Another problem with a final exam-only system is that it can discriminate against girls. Many girls suffer with PMT or period pains, which can affect concentration and performance on the day of the exam. I think it's fairer to have some continuous assesssment, but the Tories want to scrap that.

I think that politicians should be banned from meddling with the education system. It would be far better if it was organised by parents, teachers, and the children themselves. Most of the present government went to public schools like Eton, and they seem to have little concept of ordinary kids and state schools. They mess about with state education, but send their own children to private schools.

Joan
c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif

Comments

• suzygirl
    suzygirl Member Posts: 2,005
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Joan I am furious about the meddling :x I was the first year to take the GCSE and now my youngest son is in year 10 and starting his. They have changed his courses and messed about with the grading. I worry about how his grades will suffer.

Another parent was saying that now all coursework has to be done at school, how can parents help their children? A lot of us read through and correct punctuation, and clarify points for them.
    Joan, I am sorry to say this but a lot of young people can't be bothered with school. You are to soft on them, why should we offer them alternatives - let them earn them themselves.

Tody, not sure where you get your ideas on young people from. We had to work hard to get our children into a good school. All my sons friends work hard at school and want to get on in life. Maybe we just live in different areas? Our house prices are driven by schools in my experience.
  • joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    Options
    Tody wrote:

Joan, I am sorry to say this but a lot of young people can't be bothered with school. You are to soft on them, why should we offer them alternatives - let them earn them themselves.

Unfortunately, our system of education has failed some children who then feel alienated and lacking in confidence. If schools don't meet their needs, they are bound to lose interest in learning.

I used to teach children with special needs, and one of my main aims was to build up their confidence and self-esteem. Many of them had been made to feel like failures, so it was my job to help and encourage them to achieve their full potential. This didn't mean that I was soft on them; on the contrary, they were expected to work very hard at their own levels. However, those children were not academically gifted, so probably wouldn't reach 'O-Level' exam standard. For children like them, an alternative must be offered or they will leave school with nothing.
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,444
    Options
    I am thinking Joan that it will still maybe resemble the current GCSE and have levels say A-C of which A-C will be equivalent to and O levels pass and be enough to study it at A level D-E being a lower level, but evidence of study and effort.

Well l hope so anyway :?

I am very glad that they have done away with the modular business because they did the work as they went along and yet still had 6 weeks study leave :shock:

I think the issue with course work was that some parents were 'doing' the work not like you and I Suzy - trying to help

Love

Toni xxx
  • suzygirl
    suzygirl Member Posts: 2,005
    Options
    I must admit Toni,as I wrote that about course work I was wondering about parents doing it for them. Which defeats the point!!!

If schools don't meet their needs, they are bound to lose interest in learning.

I think that is true and it is where younger teachers with enthusiam are such an asset. My oldest child was a 'problem' child for older teachers who hadn't kept up with the times. (Just waiting for their pension) Till a younger teacher spotted that alongside the ADHD he also had ASD. That was a turning point for his education.

In case you think I am anti teacher, far from it, I have teachers in my family.