What's your passion?

Options
joanlawson
joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
edited 28. Sep 2012, 10:56 in Community Chit-chat archive
My passion is art and painting; I love to paint pictures in watercolours and acrylics. As soon as I've finished one painting, I'm already planning the next and my mind is buzzing with ideas. I like to take photos which I later turn into paintings, and at present I've got about ten all waiting to be turned into works of art.

When I'm painting, time seems to stand still and I don't notice any aches and pains I might have.

You can see some of my paintings on these links.

http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j386/thardy2/DSC03735.jpg

http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j386/thardy2/DSC03732.jpg

http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j386/thardy2/DSC03739.jpg
c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif

Comments

• Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Wow Joan, they are beautiful. You certainly have a lot of talent.
    Have you had lessons?
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    As the old cliche goes, Joan, I know nothing about art but I know what I like and I love these, especially the water ones. I love your use of colour. Thanks for letting us see them.

My passion is no secret - cricket. All levels, all forms of the game. I watch it, play it in the garden with my grandsons, read about it, write about it. I've even been known to watch it on teletext :roll: I'm a hopeless case.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    WOW they are beautiful,I love cross stitch particularly the really fine ones,I can't manage the fine needles at the moment so I have started long stitch,the really chunky ones,hopefully if the humira works for me I can finish a American civil war one.I love watching golf,can only play crazy golf .Mig
  • knuckleduster
    knuckleduster Member Posts: 551
    Options
    You are a clever bunny Joan. The colours are fantastic and I particularly like the fuchsias. And, I agree, when you are doing something you really enjoy, the aches and pains are forgotten.

Keep up the good work and keep on posting any future works of art. :D

Janet x
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    Options
    Joan those are really fantastic, they all earned a wow from me when I looked at them! My passions are music and baking cakes. Each cake has its own soundtrack when I get going and if for some reason there is no music they never seem to turn out well!
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • stickywicket
    Options
    LV - nothing to do with cakes but I find Mozart's Horn Concertos are best to iron to. (No, of course I've no idea why :roll: )
    Steven Wright
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    Options
    Sticky, my bargaining chip with myself for ironing is playing my LPs. I allow myself a trawl through them whilst getting on with my least favourite chore. I'm so averse to ironing the pile can build up and I once went through a good 6 LPs whilst getting it done, bad I know. If I need peace it's got to be Faure's requiem for me. Don't know why but ever since I sang it at school it has stuck with me as my calming sound!xx
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • joanlawson
    Options
    Thank you all for your kind comments about my paintings. I've still got so much to learn, but I enjoy painting tremendously.

Numpty- I'm a member of two art groups, but we don't have formal lessons. We just help each other and learn from each other. I only took up painting when I retired as I never had the time when I was working.

SW-I guessed that you would say that cricket is your passion; your username is a bit of a clue :D
    I'm afraid that I don't know much about it, even though I used to live right next to Trent Bridge. I used to love playing Kwik Cricket with the kids at school though, and we won the trophy for all the schools in our area one year.

mig- Your long-stitch tapestry of the American Civil War sounds very ambitious! Good luck with the humira.

Janet- The picture of the fuchsias is up on my lounge wall now. I'm glad that you like the colours.

LV- We used to have a club on this forum called the IHTIC (I Hate The Ironing Club) There were lots of members, so you're not alone in your dislike of ironing. Elna was the only person who seemed to like it, so we sent a van-load round to her every day :lol:
    Music and baking cakes seems a good combination of passions :D
  • stickywicket
    Options
    What is it with ironing? My younger son used to find it therapeutic when he was studying for A-levels so we had a trade-off. He did my ironing and I did his washing. Now that he's heading for 40 maybe I should confess that, actually, it was a win/win situation for me as, by doing his washing, I stopped him setting the washer going at nearly midnight :P

LV - Faure's Requiem. I've no idea hoe he gets that ethereal sound but the In Paradisum gets to me every time.
    Steven Wright
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    joanlawson wrote:

Beautiful paintings Joan what a talent I can't even draw a straight line, my passion is cooking.........Marie x
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,939
    Options
    Joan
    your paintings are beautyfull are you right or left handed
    have you thought of making a picture in to a puzzle then you've got it to do any time you want.
    if you want the email add i can give it.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • joanlawson
    Options
    villier wrote:

Beautiful paintings Joan what a talent I can't even draw a straight line, my passion is cooking.........Marie x

Thanks for your kind comment, Marie. :D
    I spend some of my time teaching other people to paint, and many of them start off by saying that they can't draw anything. I usually manage to prove to them that anyone can paint if they really want to, and it isn't really necessary to be able to draw. I taught my 88-year-old neighbour recently, and she now has three of her paintings displayed on the walls in her house. She has amazed herself and she's really proud of her efforts.

I also enjoy cooking and baking, but I wouldn't say I'm passionate about it in the same way that I am about art.
  • joanlawson
    Options
    dachshund wrote:
    Joan
    your paintings are beautyfull are you right or left handed
    have you thought of making a picture in to a puzzle then you've got it to do any time you want.
    if you want the email add i can give it.
    joan xx

Thank you Joan. I'm right-handed.
    I haven't thought of making a picture into a puzzle, but I have printed some out to make cards.
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    Oh Joan your paintings are Wonderful :D

I love painting but they are no where near as good as yours. You have such a talent and I love reading.

I have made cards, Knit, Iced cakes, made clothes and cross stitch in the past but now find it near impossible to do any of them :roll:

Thank you for showing us your lovely work :D

Juliepf x
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,939
    Options
    Hello Joan
    my passion was horse riding and walking the dog not at the same time.
    now i cannot walk to the end of the road. i'm pleased i have my scoota so i can still take the dog for a walk and do my shopping.
    i can knit my polo jumpers cook and i'm pleased i have lovely
    friends on here.
    thank you everyone.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • joanlawson
    Options
    Thank you Julie and Joan. :D

Julie, the main thing about painting is that you enjoy doing it. I tell people not to worry about the results, but to enjoy the process of creating art. Monet was still painting even when he was nearly blind, just enjoying putting paint onto canvas. Sometimes I do abstract paintings, and I just love to play with colour and shape.

It's a shame that you can't do all the creative things you have enjoyed previously, but I'm sure that your paintings are very good.

Joan, what a lovely passion to have for horses and riding :D It's something I've never tried, but I wish I had. Those polo jumpers sound nice and warm, just the job for the winter :D
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    They are very nice paintings Joan, I particularly like your buildings. I've just restarted my watercolour classes and have been very pleased with some of my finished paintings. Last week we were chatting about Henri Mattise and how badly he was affected by arthritis,(unfortunately ending up in a wheelchair). I find his art inspiring.

My Sister is a fantastic artist and dressmaker but ended up in nursing! I feel this is such a waste.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • stickywicket
    Options
    tkachev wrote:
    My Sister is a fantastic artist and dressmaker but ended up in nursing! I feel this is such a waste.

Elizabeth

:o I'm just glad I've had nurses to inject me, take bloods, do my temp, BP and pulse, help me in and out of bed post-op etc etc and not artists or dressmakers :wink:

I know what you mean though, Elizabeth. but surely such talents are never wasted? Wasn't LS Lowry a tax-collector? Something like that.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    My work. I think literacy is one of the most important skills that one can teach and I love the challenge of helping those that others have 'written off'. Access the word, access the world. That says it all. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    tkachev wrote:

Elizabeth

:o I'm just glad I've had nurses to inject me, take bloods, do my temp, BP and pulse, help me in and out of bed post-op etc etc and not artists or dressmakers :wink:

I know what you mean though, Elizabeth. but surely such talents are never wasted? Wasn't LS Lowry a tax-collector? Something like that.

I didn't word it very well did I :oops: ?
    She works with the elderly and that is indeed a worthwhile job and she has used her talents to make beautiful clothes and soft furnishings and baby clothes for the family over the years so no its not entirely wasted.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • fowls48
    fowls48 Member Posts: 1,357
    Options
    Joan

Your paintings are absolutely wonderful ,when are you putting them up for sale .

Fowls xx