Long time no post!!

Options
katekelly
katekelly Member Posts: 975
edited 30. Sep 2012, 18:13 in Community Chit-chat archive
Hello folks,
Well it's been a long time since I visited the site and thought I'd drop in and say hi. From what I can see there are a few of the old names still posting but there seems to be an awful lot of new ones too!! So those of you who know me - where's the old gang gone?? Those of you who don't my name is Kate, 48 years old, 3 daughters, 1husband and 2 dogs. I've ad RA for17 years and like many of you tried lots of different drugs and remedies. I'm currently on Anti-TNF and suffer the occasional flare but manage to keep the constant pain at a level which let's me get on with life. I don't suffer fools gladly and am known for speaking my mind but hopefully without taking things to a personal level. I have a deep Christian Faith of which I am proud but also respect other people's beliefs and traditions.
So now those of you who already know me ( and who remember some of our 'strolls into the surreal world of the Cane and Abel) you can either say hello or not her again and if you don't know me and would like to tell me about yourselves please do so.
Have a good day y'all.
Kate x

Comments

• ShulaArcher
    ShulaArcher Member Posts: 174
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello Kate

I'm new here so getting used to finding my way around. I'm 57 and live with my husband in a village in Northamptonshire. Have recently resigned from my job due to my OA, particularly in my hands. But, enjoying a quieter life and aiming to be positive about the future, after spending several months feeling like I had a big question mark over my head. In many ways, finding out who I am again, rather than putting all my energy into work.

Kathryn
  • katekelly
    Options
    Hi Kathryn,
    I'm in Rugby and was in Northampton yesterday taking my middle girl back to uni. Although I grew up in Ireland I was born at The Barratt Maternity Home in Northampton where my Mum had done her training. My family are from Daventry and I have lots of cousins and 1sister still living there. So I'm really from that neck of the woods.
    Arthur of any kind is at best a pain in the bum at worst indescribable but positivity as you are finding out really helps.
    Kate x
  • ShulaArcher
    ShulaArcher Member Posts: 174
    Options
    Hi Kate

Thanks for that. My son was born at the Barratt, 26 years ago. We used to live in Northampton and I still go back there to the hairdressers!

All the best
    Kathryn
  • arfaitis
    arfaitis Member Posts: 155
    Options
    Hello Kate, nice to see you back, I can't recall your name, but I have been a member for over a year, but got lost with a PC breakdown and change over, finally got back a week ago.
    I am 74 married some 53 years, three lovely well brought up children, all working. I am a 40+ year sufferer of RA, and other things, but now 3 years in remission with the use of IV therapy {rituximab}and MTX.
    I too have strong Christian Faith although a little unorthodox, I respect others faith as well.
    I love keeping fit, I am making good use of having my life back, playing badminton, table tennis and archery, as many as 6 times per week.
    If you saw me you wouldn't believe I had so many serious ailments, I just don't let them get to me.
    I think it is the meds and my beliefs that help me a lot.

Look forward to seeing you post more often.

Arfa
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    Hi Kate. It's good to see you back. Alas, the Cane & Able is no more. Some very nice newbies, though, as you've discovered.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,445
    Options
    KATE!!!!

Lovely to see you and I still owe you lunch :oops:

I haven't forgotten you at all :)

How are the kids? Well I hope? Mine are all growing up eldest just passed her theory next about to take hers :) Even the littelun is WAY taller than me :)

Love and (((())))

Toni xxx
  • katekelly
    Options
    Toni!!!

Hi Sweetheart how you doing? Kids are fine, hubby fine, dogs fine - me well we'll leave that open ended but I've been worse! Loads has happened over the last year or so including me now working from home! Had a fab summer -Sarah and I went to Majorca for a week and then we had tickets for the las night of the athletics at the Olympics and saw mo Farah win his 2 Nd gold and the jamaicans break a world record. So that was all fab then my step-mother died and all hell let loose! This has all set off a flare-up and now probs with tummy and now query diverticulitis!! But could be worse-right? Oh yes and got to have some teeth out as well but hey never mind!! Never rains and all that. How have things been on here during my sabbatical? Have you all missed me and my wicked wit and repartee?? Lol

Keep in touch

Love to all

Kate xx
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Hi Kate

New to the forum, pleased to meet you my name is Marie from Loch Lomond, I am 57 and live on my own was never blessed with children but have got loads of lovely family albeit they are scattered around the country............I have OA in my hands and getting a finger fusion done soon also have a very rare neurological condition which affects face, hands,trunk,feet,bowels and bladder which I get IVIG treatment every few weeks, still undergoing tests to try and find out whats causing it.............so glad I joined this forum as everyone seems to be so supportive, when you read what some people put up with every day it humbles you to think that you have been feeling sorry for yourself.........looking forward to being around for a while........tc........Marie xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    Options
    Hi Kate and welcome back! Of course I remember you well! :D

Sadly, some of the old crowd have left the site. Rehab44 (Len) is no longer around on here to make us laugh in the Cane and Able, Delboy no longer posts his witty remarks, Livinglegend (Joseph) is no longer here to give us technical advice, and Nina Kang has deserted us too, although I still meet up with her quite often. That is to name only a few who aren't posting at present, but we can only hope that they will surprise us one day by re-appearing just like you :D

Lucky you to see the athletics at the Olympics :!: How wonderful to see Mo Farah win gold and also the Jamaicans.

I'm so sorry to hear about your sad loss with the death of your step-mother, and also that you have been feeling unwell. I hope that you will soon feel better.

We have definitely missed your wicked wit and repartee, so I hope you will stay around. :D

Joan
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    Hi Kate,

Lindalegs has a Grandson and hasn't been posting as often since his birth and Skezier and Elna are still here. skezier hasn't been very well unfortunately.

Elizabeth :D
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • katekelly
    Options
    Hi Joan,
    I'm in touch with Nina on the dreaded Facebook and have many a game of 'Words' with my old sparring partner Len but I will miss the Cane and Able. Who can ever forget the tales of daring do and pickled eggs and such loveable rogues as Alan D Lord and Fat Kev! Still we must move onwards and upwards so we'll have to think of some new places to meet and new characters to obsess about!!
    Love
    K x
  • joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    Options
    katekelly wrote:
    Hi Joan,
    I'm in touch with Nina on the dreaded Facebook and have many a game of 'Words' with my old sparring partner Len but I will miss the Cane and Able. Who can ever forget the tales of daring do and pickled eggs and such loveable rogues as Alan D Lord and Fat Kev! Still we must move onwards and upwards so we'll have to think of some new places to meet and new characters to obsess about!!
    Love
    K x

Hi Kate, Nina has told me that she's in touch with you on Facebook. I don't go on there, even though she keeps trying to persuade me.

You are right about missing the world of those lovable rogues, Fat Kev, Alan D Lord, and Rehab44 on here. I fear that Chit-Chat will never be the same without them. :( Maybe we'll get a big surprise one day, and the Cane and Able will reopen :D You never know with Len.....knowing him, he's probably got a cunning plan :lol:

Joan
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Kate
    I do remember you, and its good to have you back with us, I am glad to hear that the meds are keeping your pain levels down.
    You take care xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    Hi Kate,

Just want to say 'hello' and welcome back.

As Elizabeth says I have a beautiful new grandson who's now 2 months old, he's gorgeous .................as all babies are. :D

I've also had major PC problems but I'm sorted now.

Sorry you've lost your step mother and that you've been unwell. :( It's good that you still sound bouncy and positive though. :D:D

(Mike77 passed his driving test too, some forum news you might have missed :wink: )

:D

Luv,
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I too remember you and it's lovely to see your name again. You have had (and are having) a rough spell at the moment, aren't you, but I hope you stick around with us for a few laughs and giggles. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • katekelly
    Options
    Wow what a great welcome back thank you all for your warmth. Lots has happened as well as the few bits I posted. The one thing that springs immediately to mind is the sad loss of our beloved Jelly dog. Sadly she had a growth up her nose that was starting to press on her eye and going down into her chest. So we had to make the very painful decision to have her put out of her misery. And she was miserable bless her as every day she would sneeze and the kitchen would be covered in blood. If it happened whilst I was out she would try to 'clean up' by licking it. She was such a good log girl. So although very tough we had to do what was right for her.
    I had decided that after the initial we need another dog phase that Scamp was going to be on his own. He had mourned Jelly so badly and it took weeks to get him to even go for a walk. Then end of last year I started the 'I want another dog' torture of my Husband. He agreed but only if I gave up work or worked from home permanently. The week before Christmas my job changed to being permanently home based!
    O in March this year we got a Parson Jack Russell puppy called Pippin. She is a little S**T!! I love her to bits but I've never had such a naughty dog in my life! But she is so cute that no matter how angry you are at her it is hard to keep it going! She had a wonderful time with a bag of plaster!!-in the kitchen no less-well what's left of the kitchen!!She's a bit of a chewer if you know what I mean! But she's now part of the family and despite it all I'd never be without her.
    Anybody know a good animal psychiatrist??.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,445
    Options
    Oh kate

i do so know how hard it is to 'let a beloved animal go' :(:(

I still think of Eric (catona) and it's been over 3 years now Daisycat has filled the gap nicely.

Sounds like Pippin has totally taken over your house :lol: and thoroughly trashed it! We had a 'chewr' once - such wanton distruction :? I think i went for a stairgate when i was out to solve some of that and gaffer tape around the edges of the carpet until Scruffy (was a Yorkie) grew out of it.

I am so glad you are now able to work from home Kate - for the family, animals and us lot too.

Great to see you back

Love

Toni xxx

(Been do AS*A lately :wink: )
  • creakyowl
    creakyowl Member Posts: 63
    Options
    Hi Kate

I was thrilled to see you back.

Who is this you wonder? I was kazpaz but after a long "resting" spell have returned under a new name. Had forgotten all my old details so re-registering made sense.

I'm disintegrating rather fast from RA. I was in Papworth earlier this week and had hours of heart surgery as the dreaded RA has reached my heart. Old man legged it when the going got tough. I have eldest now working in London and youngest started uni in Sheffield two weeks ago, (is doing politics and Russian). The middle two are still at home, one doing politics too and the other doing medicine.

I too miss Len but did catch up with him briefly before he departed again. I miss Alan D Lord and Fat Kev more! I also miss the As*a rants.

Glad you are reasonably ok and that all yours are doing well.

As for a dog psychiatrist???? Maybe I could help a bit! :wink: Most skills are reasonably transferable I think.

Creaky
  • katekelly
    Options
    Hey,
    That was a lovely surprise Kaz or do you prefer creaky? Sorry to hear things have been bad for you. How's the heart now? Kids grow so quickly don't they? Uber-cool Ellie has just started her second year of uni she's doing teaching with maths. So pleased and proud -remember when she had meningitis a couple of months before her GCSE's? There were times I thought she wouldn't make it.

Sorry to hear about the Old man doing one. . Know that one but for us it turned out for the better so I truly hope it does for you too.

Keep in touch love- I miss our chats.

Love Kate x
  • creakyowl
    creakyowl Member Posts: 63
    Options
    No, Kaz is fine.

I remember Ellie getting ill very well. I was so shocked and I realised how easily it can happen / could happen to one of mine. It is good to hear she is on her way to her dreams.

I feel better today and have even cleaned out a couple of small cupboards to keep a bit active. Earlier in the week was grim but I'm mending, I suppose until the next disaster! It will be a couple of months before they know if it has worked for sure or not. I haven't had any significant arrhythmia since theatre, so fingers crossed.

I will keep in touch. Can PM new phone number. I keep in close touch with Queenfan. She's been a life-saver!
  • queenfan
    queenfan Member Posts: 563
    Options
    Just remember creaky friendship works both ways :)