MRI Results Soon.

LolaCrayola
LolaCrayola Member Posts: 152
edited 30. Sep 2012, 03:36 in Living with Arthritis archive
I had my MRI on my cervical spine, where I have OA. Felt ok on the day, dreadful now. I had the MRI due to nerve pain in my arm/ hand. The pain is sometimes unbearable, I am worried MRI will be normal. It is stupid, because the x ray was not normal. I guess my worst fear is just having to put up with it. I have lots of other pains. I get my results on Friday. I just want better pain relief. I already take amitryptiline 50 at night, so I am not sure if that masks it. The pain is huge now due to carrying a small file at work, for a short period.

If you are ok on the day of scan, will the damage still show? I feel a dolt asking.

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    If there's trouble it will show in the results no matter how you were feeling on the day. MRIs give so much detail (well they do if you know what you are looking for) and they pick up even the smallest trace of a problem. My MRIs on my fat left knee were hellish as my knee was too fat for the holder and the staff literally squashed it in. :roll:

'Better' pain relief = stronger pain relief and that can bring its own difficulties. I have found that the stronger stuff doesn't take the pain away from me, they take me away from the pain thus rendering me unable to function that well. It's a tough choice but one we have to make. I opt for little relief but being awake and able to get on with stuff - and I find that as my mind is occupied it's not paying too much attention to the hurt. Night-time is more difficult as there is not much distraction (apart from 'im indoors snoring as he sleeps the sleep of the healthy) so I create my own. As for carrying files - could you transport them in shopping trolley, you know the sort of thing I mean, either a two-wheeled or four-wheeled effort - and not necessarily in tartan. :wink:

Good luck on Friday, let us know what shows, yes? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • LolaCrayola
    Thank you. I already have a cart, it is no use with the stairs. I am on the list for the pain clinic, as of July, but letter never arrived, so back to the bottom. Probably not worth seeing my own doctor until after the MRI results. Just overwhelmed today, like we all get.
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Am sure as DD says if there's trouble it will show,will be thinking of you.Mig
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I think quite a few have mentioned feeling worse after than during. It makes sense.

Always ask, LolaCrayola. We might not have the answers but surely it’s more stupid not to ask for fear of seeming stupid.

I hope you get the results you want. Pain relief is a problematic area and getting the right balance is a tough one.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Hi Lola

New here, just read your post when you are in constant pain No question is stupid we have ALL been down that road I'm sure, best wishes for Friday hope you get the answers you are looking for..........tc...Marie xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • LolaCrayola
    I got my MRI results. I have reverse lordosis, arthritic changes, bulging discs, and an area in the spinal canal that is being impinged. The suggestion is that a muscle spasm caused the reverse lordsis, that is a new thing or me. Advised to just keep taking the tablets and to attend pain clinic. I was more worried the scan would be normal, because the pain can be dreadful. I was asked if I had osteoporosis when he brought up old x ray, asked if I ake calcium tablets. Not sure what to make of that. Feel better knowing why things hurt and pain migrates around my arm/ shoulder.
  • suzygirl
    suzygirl Member Posts: 2,005
    Lola, that sounds painful. I hope the pain clinic helps you. I have similar trouble at the bottom of my spine, and that is really painful.

Let us know how you get on.
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Lolacrayola

I just wanted to say I too hope that the pain clinic helps.

Love Juliepf x
  • lizzy100
    lizzy100 Member Posts: 235
    yes it would show even if your ok on the day.
    Hopefully once u have the results of the scan they can do something new.
    there are other drugs you can take as well as amiptryptiline, for nerve pain. it doesnt sound nice though. hope you get something sorted.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Hi Lola

I am so glad that there is 'proof' of your pain and that there is at least a suggestion of a treatment plan - eg. the pain clinic.

Such an anxious time waiting to see if the tests evidence our pain isn't it?

You take care now

Love

Toni xxx