Feminists and the 21st Century

knuckleduster
knuckleduster Member Posts: 551
edited 10. Oct 2012, 13:28 in Community Chit-chat archive
Sounds as if somebody has upset you Tody.

Women should have equal opportunities and equal pay for the same job and that's all I'm saying on the subject.

Janet

Comments

• LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I think we are entitled to equality and I do not think we yet have it. That is especially true if you look on a global scale where in many countries women are oppressed, often in ways that are beyond imagination or acceptability - genital mutilation, forced marriage, limited or no access to education. We have a right to equality, we are all equal beings. As for 'being able to have loads of sex and not be judged'? Is that why men who do that are called players but women who do it are still called sluts or worse?

We have made progress but there is much still to make sadly and often this means educating people so that women are not kept in servitude or worse simply because of their gender.
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    this is a topic that can make the blood boil yes life is much better in many ways but and yes there is a but we are different and many have different drives but why should those differences make such a difference men also differ from each other some depends on which school tie or if they speak with plumb in there mouth does not matter if they can do the job always but even that is slowly changing is change good not all should we all be equal no do we all want to be the same no but do we want to be treated fairly will it ever happen no chance yep i am stuck on the wall not sure which side to drop lol val
    val
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Contraception is not fool-proof (especially if one is solely relying on the bloke) and should be a shared enterprise as making a baby takes two.

Yup, women can have sex here there and everywhere and be labelled after a form of transport. Men can do so with impunity because it is a sign (apparently) of masculinity.

I for one don't want or need equality. Men and women have different roles in life, they have different strengths and abilities but their natural characteristics complement each other (and yes, I mean that version of that word). DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • ichabod6
    ichabod6 Member Posts: 843
    Women have babies and all the feminism in the world
    cant alter that.
  • elainebadknee
    elainebadknee Bots Posts: 3,703
    Tody

I dont know what made you post this, must have known is wasnt the brightest thing to post in hindsight proofread before hitting "new topic"???
    How many women in Parliament, difference in wages in lots of professions, how many women MD's can you name offhand who are taken seriously (know I can think of handful)....Arranged marriages, look at Shafilea Ahmed case?
    As for your contraception comments, I wont even justify it with an answer....
    Im quite sure you posted to create something, perhaps youre bored or whatever...Still it takes all sorts to make the world go round.....

Odd is all I can further say!!

Elainex
    Tody wrote:
    If you think the Feminist Movement is a thing of the past, please raise your hand!!! (not literally, rather - just say so in this topic)

I mean - what more do this women want - they keep going on and on about it as if nothing has changed since the 19th century, and it has - a lot.

For example - there is contraception - so women can have as much sex as they want without worrying and...what's more - nobody will judge them.

So what's the big deal, I wonder...?
    Have you thought about it at all, or you're not really bothered?
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Tody you've inspired me to pick up my copy of Loose change by Sara Davidson. It covers the early women's movement in California as one of the main characters in the book becomes disillusioned with her relationship and embraces an independent lifestyle. Its great to read how the movement grew and about the challenges the women faced mostly from their own peers.

Elizabeth x
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • tkachev
    Tody wrote:
    tkachev wrote:
    about the challenges the women faced mostly from their own peers.

Elizabeth x
    You got me interested, go on, shere more - what sort of challenges?
    You see, this is the thing - the efforts of feminists are bellitle by the attitudes of other women not men - and the whole thing becomes pointless.

A Memeber of Parliament raised the issue of P3 girls and she was countered by women.

But you tell us what were these challenges described in the book.

Also, some of the other participants in the forum tried to sort of give an example with women in the arab world but feminism don't even exist as a concept in these countries so it'a also pointless to try to make it an international movement, isn't it?

Well it was mostly the male peers who were obstructive. I have to re read my copy as its been some time but I know the males were incredulous that the women wanted to survive without them and were very obstructive.

Elizabeth

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • tkachev
    It is supposed to be non fiction but is often found under fiction in book shops. But in my opinion men have been the biggest obstacle and in many countries they still are. They seem to make all the rules to suit and then use oppression (unjust use of force or authority) to try to keep it that way.

Elizabeth

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • tkachev
    Tody wrote:
    tkachev wrote:
    It is supposed to be non fiction but is often found under fiction in book shops.
    I visited Waterstones yesterday, I could barely resist the temptation to purchase loads of books. I want to buy the Casual Vacancy - I have the feeling that this book is primarily about the British Psyche. It's a must read - I also came across a book Vagina - something like a history of how human kind perceives Vagina...that's a must read too, have you read it? What are your thoughts on that?

Not read it but can imagine male and females perceive it differently!

Elizabeth

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • tkachev
    Tody wrote:
    tkachev wrote:

Not read it but can imagine male and females perceive it differently!

Elizabeth

[This message did not comply with the forum Terms and Conditions and has been edited by the moderator AC]

Insted I'd like to take you back to the main subject - Feminism.
    Let me put it to you this way:
    Imagine you are the boss of a big company and you have a vacancy that you must fill. You've got only two applicants for the job - a man and a woman.

The man is single, he has no kids, i.e he has put his career above all else.

The woman on the other hand, has two kids, i.e she has put her personal happiness before her career.

So which of these two candidates are you going to choose for the job?

It's needless to say you're going to pick the man - he has made huge sacrifices, hasn't he?
    That puts an end to Feminism and all those people who are trying to sell it!

It depends on what skills the company boss requires. Some jobs are more suited for women than men and vice versa.

Elizabeth

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Tody wrote:
    Imagine you are the boss of a big company and you have a vacancy that you must fill. You've got only two applicants for the job - a man and a woman.

The woman on the other hand, has two kids, i.e she has put her personal happiness before her career.

It's needless to say you're going to pick the man - he has made huge sacrifices, hasn't he?

There are always at least two viewpoints, Tody.

One could argue that the man is single and therefore has lived life entirely for himself and his own ‘personal happiness’ and is possibly unable to commit to a relationship. It seems as if he is not a team player and would not fit in well with many workforces.

The woman, on the other hand cares for two other human beings. They may have been created for selfish or unselfish reasons – probably both – but she clearly accepts responsibility for her actions and is capable of juggling with the demands of multi-tasking.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • elainebadknee
    elainebadknee Bots Posts: 3,703
    This post is terribly narrow minded but by commenting on this I am of course giving this author the reaction they want which i find rather sad that is the purpose on a site which is to chat about things and we all have arthritis issues also....My assumption and thank god is that the author is not a director or manager as they would only employ men....Im also surprised the moderators allow this behaviour as it is inflammatory and well done to Elizabeth and Sticky for putting forward a balanced reply....

It takes all sorts to make the world go round however, just sad to see such petty actions

Elainexx

Tody wrote:

There are always at least two viewpoints, Tody.

One could argue that the man is single and therefore has lived life entirely for himself and his own ‘personal happiness’ and is possibly unable to commit to a relationship. It seems as if he is not a team player and would not fit in well with many workforces.

The woman, on the other hand cares for two other human beings. They may have been created for selfish or unselfish reasons – probably both – but she clearly accepts responsibility for her actions and is capable of juggling with the demands of multi-tasking.
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Unless the wummun had great boobs :o
    I'm kidding folks.... Lol

All I can say is that equality doesn't always mean that.. In my humble opinion.
    We are very different creatures men n wimmin so sometimes we can't be equal..
    Plus, if the afore mentioned manager situation happened to a company that didn't have a certain quota of females then maybe the manager would feel obliged to employ the wummun.. That's also unfair.. Positive descrimination is utter nonsense, any discrimination it's wrong, surely??

e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    All discrimination is wrong, I agree with you there Tony. The single workaholic man might be too one dimensional in this strange job race. I also agree with Elaine, this has gone wildly off topic. I think the news that a 14 year old girl is shot in the head in Pakistan for campaigning for her right to an education kinda proves that there is still terrible inequalities in this world that need addressing before we worry about who to pick for jobs and whether mothers are worse than single men for the job!
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
This discussion has been closed.