throat nodules?

Options
millie78
millie78 Member Posts: 71
edited 21. Oct 2012, 05:32 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all,
Does anyone know about ra causing nodules on the throat?

In the past when I have had a cold my throat feels like a sharp bit of food stuck. That can last for a week or so. Currently I have developed a husky voice with no other symptoms, no cold or sore throat. It's been like this for 8 days now and everyone notices it. My gp is rubbish and doesn't see the need for my rheumy let alone would consider a husky voice a problem I'm sure. But I've seen ra nodules can grow on the throat. Does anyone have experience of this and what sort of treatment they received?

Thank you.

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello Millie, I have had not experienced this but I am aware (from reading on here) that RA can affect the throat. I think you need to get in touch with your rheumatologist as he should be the better informed. Do you have a rheumatology helpline you can ring for advice? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • millie78
    Options
    Hi dreamdaisy. Yes I will do. It just seems minor and don't want to cause a fuss, but on the otherhand worry that it could get worse.
    Thank you.
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Minor? I think not. I know it can be hard to tell when something is worth bothering about or not but this, I think, is. RA can affect the vocal chords and thus this needs checking. Please let us know what happens, yes? I wish you well and I sincerely hope it's just a bug that's decided to lodge in your throat. DD
  • scozzie
    scozzie Member Posts: 333
    Options
    Hi Millie

Sorry to hear about the nodes but I'm not sure about seeing the rheumy about it, most of the advice I have read indicates that you should see your GP if you've had the husky voice, with no other symptoms, after three weeks, because it could need investigation. It could just be an effect of some of medication you're on.

I've had a husky weak voice for months now, and after a month to rule out heartburn and another two waiting for an ENT appointment I have been diagnosed with a polyp on my vocal cords, for which I am now awaiting an appointment for day surgery. I had put off seeing my doctor about my voice for a few months while I waited for it firstly to improve, then until I had another reason to see the doc as I didn't want to waste their time because I didn't have any other symptoms, apart from feeling some food was stuck in my throat (like yourself) ... lol ... wished I'd gone earlier now. Btw I have OA not RA.

So good luck and hopefully it just resolves itself very soon, because it IS very frustrating not talking in your normal voice ... I know.

Scozzie
  • millie78
    Options
    Hey scissors, sorry you have found popular. Must admit relief to know someone else with it though! I've kinda convinced myself I have throat cancer which I know is totally irrational therefore avoiding docs! But I've promised myself I will call today. Do u know what they will do for you?
    And dreamdaisy thank you, posts like yours give me encouragement to go!
    Thanks
  • millie78
    Options
    Oh my - I so apologise for the typos above! Just reread. Popular meant to say polyps! I type on my phone and the screen is so small and flips around I don't notice the typos sorry!
  • tillytop
    tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
    Options
    Hi Millie

I have had a hoarse voice to a greater or lesser degree for many years with no other symptoms and have been told by the rheumatologist that it is the RA affecting the cryo, something or other joints aound my voicebox (which is apparently not that uncommon) and/or the result of a very dry mouth due to my Sjogrens. I probably should have had it investigated further but I have always been too chicken and "happier" to assume it's associated with the RA. I am not recommending my approach though and I would really suggest that you do get it checked out. Although, when we are worrying, it tends to be the more sinister things that come to mind, I'm sure that there are any number of things which can cause a hoarse voice and, if you can pluck up the courage to get it investigated, you will know what you are dealing with and hopefully be able to get it sorted.

Thinking of you.

Tilly xxx
  • scozzie
    Options
    Hi again Millie

At some stage in the next couple of weeks I'm going in to have the polyp surgically removed under a general anasethic as a day patient. The polyp will be sent for a routine biopsy ... as a non-smoker it is extremely unlikely I will have throat cancer, but I do know where you are coming from.

As part of the recovery I will not be allowed to speak or even mouth words (never mind whisper, they tell me whispering is the worst of the lot), coughing and sneezing are to be kept to a minimum. I also understand I will have a sore throat for a few days and will need to eat soft non-spicy food. I think a sore throat won't be too much of a problem, at least it will get better ... lol.

Good luck Millie
    Scozzie
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Oooh, good luck with that Scozzie, I hope all goes well but no speaking for a while? Yikes! Time for a blackboard and chalks! :wink:

I've been reflecting about this, Millie, and I do hope you contact the GP or rheumatology about this. I think it warrants investigation just to be on the safe side. DD
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    Good luck from me, too, Scozzie. I've handled RA for many years but no talking :shock: That would be really tough.

Millie, do get it checked out.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    Hi Millie

I sometimes get the feeling that I have a small pea stuck at the back of my throat, and try to swallow to get rid of it but without success. I have never had a Husky voice though. I also have often wondered if you can get nodules in your throat.

I wish you well and hope that you get sorted.

scozzie you poor thing not been able to talk after your op. I wish you well .

love juliepf x
  • millie78
    Options
    Wow scozzie is have to out tape over my mouth I talk so much! Good luck I hope it goes well x
    Thanks to u guys I managed to get appt straight away! With gp, he's put me on antibiotics and blood tests, and will see me again in 2 weeks.

Will keep you posted x
  • kellerman
    kellerman Member Posts: 741
    Options
    Millie...I hope you've had this checked out even if its just for your own peace of mind. Anything new to you should be checked and don't worry about wasting docs time...after all its what they are paid for.
    May
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Well done Millie. I can see your halo from here. :wink: I hope the anti-bs do the trick and that it all goes away soon. DD
  • scozzie
    Options
    Well done from me too Millie

And a big thank you to all for all the good wishes ... I'll keep you all posted too.

As far as the not talking goes – I'll just be glad to hear my normal voice again, cos I'm getting sick of having to strain to speak at a normal volume

Scozzie
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Surely that can't be doing you (and it) much good but it's entirely understandable. Become mysterious, be a whispering Scozzie - that may help you get used to the ban on talking too. You'll be able to 'talk' to uis though! :) DD
  • scozzie
    Options
    Hi all

Just an update to let you all know my appointments came through in mail yesterday.

I am going for the pre-op on Thursday afternoon, with the surgery scheduled for Monday, October 8th as a day patient to remove a polyp from my vocal cords ... then of course there'll be the inevitable wait for the biopsy results, which as a non-smoker aren't worrying me too much ... although, I think, my sister back home is a bit concerned ... lol

Anyway hope you all have as pain free a week as possible.

Scozzie
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    Millie I hope the abs are now starting to sort out your throat and that it is feeling much better.

Scozzie I wish you well for the 8th :)

Love juliepf x
  • scozzie
    Options
    Hi all

I suppose it's about time I gave an update on my vocal cords problem, especially seeing I received the biopsy results on Thursday just gone.

Well, the op went well - a doddle really, my throat wasn't too sore ... crickey, my hands hurt worse on a good day! Although the sides of my neck, where my jaw joint is were sore from where they held my mouth open. The op did improve my voice a bit.

It seems I didn't have a polyp after all, but I had quite a few lumps on my cords and vocal folds, warts or cysts they said - the surgeon removed three from different areas for biopsy and after a night in hospital due to minor chest pains I was released, returning back to work three days after the op.

So the week and a half wait was a long time, with all sorts of thoughts running through my head, especially as warts of the vocal cords aren't always benign!

The diagnosis is that I have several - quite a lot in fact, and they've shown me the photos to prove it, non malignant warts covering my vocal cords and folds - far too many to try and surgerically remove as there would be too great a chance of damaging my voice irreparably ... so I will now have to undergo "micro dermabasion" to remove the tops of the warts on Monday, November 12th, in a silimar day op as before, and this procedure will have to be repeated periodically until such time as my body beats the virus that's causing the warts. Oh and I have to go for speech therapy too.

Anyway it was a huge relief to hear the words "non malignant", and to also know that I am blessed to have moved to the UK 11 years ago and will receive NHS treatment! Even with medical insurance covering a lot of cost in Australia this would probably put me over £200 out of pocket each time. Btw I did not move here for the NHS or the weather! Lol

So Milly, how's your voice coming along?

Take care all
    Scozzie
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    So pleased about your good news it must be a great relief, good luck with the rest of your treatment.Mig
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Great news Scozzie huge relief for you, hope the rest of the treatment goes well for you, have fun at the speech therapist(been there)......................tc...........Marie xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles