metallic taste

Options
marrianne
marrianne Member Posts: 1,161
edited 27. Sep 2012, 10:28 in Living with Arthritis archive
Just wondering,I keep getting a strange metallic taste in my mouth ,especialy first thing in the morning ,surely its not the metal in my knee had all my amalgem fillings out years ago because of the R/A it didnt make any difference Marrianne :)

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    This has cropped up on LWA every now and again, strange tastes and odd smells. My taste buds have altered (possibly thanks to the meds) and my fingers occasionally smell of cheese - without me handling any. Odd. :? I ignore it though as it's something that doesn't hurt. :wink: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Soretoe2
    Soretoe2 Member Posts: 198
    Options
    Hi marrianne, I get this all the time, have done for years. No one can actually say why but it has been suggested that meds can upset the mouth lining and saliva.
    Sometimes Mr Sore Toe also complains about it. I've told him to stop moaning as he's getting old!! Hee Hee.
    I wouldn't worry too much but mention it next time you see the doc/consultant, there may be an answer in your case.
    I suck sugar free mints when it drives me mad, otherwise a nice bar of chocolate cheers me up no end... Joy
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Hi Marrianne

Some meds for RA can cause a metallic taste in your mouth or maybe could be an oral problem but mention to your GP......tc.....Marie cc
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • marrianne
    Options
    Hi DD Joy and Marie,Thanks for reply ,I think its possibly the leflunomide in my case as I have been takeing this continualy for almost a year ,I am due dentist shortly and need some pain medication so can check with G/P as well ,Hope your feeling ok to .Marrianne :)
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi Marrianne

Yep, it will be the Leflunomide you are taking causing the metallic taste in your mouth. Betcha! :lol:

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • marrianne
    Options
    Hi Elna,Its got to be hasnt it ? :o everything else is pretty much eliminated ,Well I can use mouth wash etc mints ..........but cannot will not do without my Leflunomide ...........touch wood it helps hope you are ok to hope one of these days I will be able to cycle around ,you inspire me every time I wake at 5/am I think well its getting better every day and at last I do have choices to walk or not to walk ,The Leflunomide and the TKR have changed so much for me .Marrianne :)
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi Marrianne,

5.00 am!!!! :shock: :lol: I used to get up early a long time ago but never now! :lol: So pleased to hear that the Lef med and the TKR have turned your life around for the better. :D All meds have side effects and it is luck of the draw whether you suffer with some of them. If you can cope and the med works, carry on as you are doing. :wink: I only poodle around on my bike these days and it is good to know that I can get off and push it, when in doubt. A good prop too and carries the shopping for me. :D

Every day the knee will improve as you say. Carry on, carrying on! :wink:

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • marrianne
    Options
    elnafinn wrote:
    Hi Marrianne,

5.00 am!!!! :shock: :lol: I used to get up early a long time ago but never now! :lol: So pleased to hear that the Lef med and the TKR have turned your life around for the better. :D All meds have side effects and it is luck of the draw whether you suffer with some of them. If you can cope and the med works, carry on as you are doing. :wink: I only poodle around on my bike these days and it is good to know that I can get off and push it, when in doubt. A good prop too and carries the shopping for me. :D

Every day the knee will improve as you say. Carry on, carrying on! :wink:

Elna x
    .......Thanks again Elna I will when I was in doubt about having the TKR done back in June your messages and others finnaly gave me the courage .........I was really scared.... but if I have to have to go ahead with the other one well I know that when it works its great and well worth the small risk ,I know a coupl;e of great people on a/c are haveing a difficult time but hopefully something will get done to give them the good result they deserve .Marrianne :)