Steroid advice needed please

Options
jilly
jilly Member Posts: 503
edited 26. Sep 2012, 16:20 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi everyone, I wondered if anyone could tell me how long my steroid injection will last, i wondered if there is a chance the swelling and stiffness might not come back . I have had the best few weeks I have had for a years .
I am due to start Methrexate and was given the steroid to get me over a bad flare . I have had a really bad time for the last 2 years so hoping things will get better when i start the new med . ............jillyx

Comments

• Soretoe2
    Soretoe2 Member Posts: 198
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello jilly, to be honest it's a very individual thing. It may last weeks, months or even years.
    I hope it lasts forever for you, truly. Take it easy a bit though as you can overdo things when they work well. Feeling better can make us do daft things like clearing the loft out or taking up marathon running. (Only joking) but do be careful. Joy
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello jilly, it's nice to hear from you. Now, your question falls into the 'piece of string' category. The most benefit I had from any steroid injection was three days, some can get as much as six months, some have nothing at all, some average two - three months: yup, it's an individual thing. One thing is certain though, it won't last. Steroids are a temporary fix so enjoy, accept that things will tail off because nothing lasts (both good and bad) and you never know, you may be granted another one. They are not good for us in the long-term, however, which is why they are rationed. Take care. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Jilly
    Sorry I can help, but I do want to offer my support and wish you well with your treatment hopefully you will get lots of relief from it.
    You take care xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • salamander
    salamander Member Posts: 1,906
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    Hello jilly, it's nice to hear from you. Now, your question falls into the 'piece of string' category. The most benefit I had from any steroid injection was three days, some can get as much as six months, some have nothing at all, some average two - three months: yup, it's an individual thing. One thing is certain though, it won't last. Steroids are a temporary fix so enjoy, accept that things will tail off because nothing lasts (both good and bad) and you never know, you may be granted another one. They are not good for us in the long-term, however, which is why they are rationed. Take care. DD

Your posts are so depressing DD - 'it won't last' 'nothing lasts' 'they are not good for us'. I don't think it is particularly supportive to keep pointing out the negatives. Think you should take some of your own, frequently given, advice, and recognise that not everybody is like you. Some people do really well on the drugs and some people HAVE to stay on steroids long term.

Jilly, I have steroid injections and find they last for two to three months - usually enough time for other drugs to kick in. My hospital will not give more than 4 a year. They are a lifeline for me at times.
    I hope the mtx kicks in, hopefully it will and your joints will improve. All the best.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    You're right Salamander, honest answers aren't the way to go are they, probably because they are too truthful. Anyhoo, I don't think all my posts are depressing - well, not as depressing as they could be! :lol: Right, rictus grin fixed in place. :D DD

PS Jilly, how are the chickens? I hope they're not too soggy in this horrid weather.
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • knuckleduster
    knuckleduster Member Posts: 551
    Options
    Hello Jilly

I had a steroid injection in my hip before my THR because they couldn't decide if the pain I was experiencing was coming from my hip or my knee.
    Sadly it only last about a month and then had the hip replaced, but I had the best month ever - I shopped my husband off his feet. Make the most of the good times, but don't overdo it.

Janet xx
  • tillytop
    tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
    Options
    Hello Jilly

I am so pleased that the steroid injection has helped you so much :D and I really hope that the methotrexate helps you too.

Tillyxxx
  • jilly
    jilly Member Posts: 503
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your help , I have had lots of steroid injections but into the joints , they dont usally last me very long but this one has helped a lot, it as been about 4 weeks since i had it and as i said i still hav'nt much swelling around my joints.
    I have started having a lot of pain in my neck and shoulders again but i dont know if that is OA , i have a lot of joints affected and been replaced through OA, so the steriod injection might not have helped with my neck and shoulders
    I hope it lasts until i get on the Metatrexate . ............jilly x
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    I hope it helps until the meth kicks in, jilly. I've had one or two over the years and I'm one of the lucky ones that usually gets around 6 weeks good then another 4 weeks OKish with them. Sometimes this is enough to allow other meds to start to get a grip. I find it very consoling to think that, if desperate, they're there as a back up. The picture must be much bleaker for those for whom they give little respite and who don't have that cushion to fall back on. It's a weird family of diseases. We're all different.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    Options
    For what it is worth Jilly, on MTX, my steroid jabs last about 8 weeks, off MTX, my steroid jabs last about 4-5 weeks and then I get a crash. I hope you don't get that crash, I think part of it is understanding that you feel better because they are helping and that you shouldnt then zoom around as if a magic wand has been waved which is what I sometimes do. We are all different though and I know there is one type of steroid that makes nada difference to me at all, the other type however does the job. There are side effects, they are a pick me up last resort for me and if and when I have had to have a series of them the come down can be hard going - blisters on my feet at the sight of shoes etc. That's just me though, not being depressing, just pointing out how it is for myself so you know.
    Good luck, hope they keep you going and the methotrexate does the wonders for you that it does for me.
    LV xx
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • Nicchick
    Nicchick Member Posts: 191
    Options
    When the sales pitch was erm....pitched to me whilst I was in extreme pain it was at least two months but when I questioned the eligibility test for anti-tnf carried out just six weeks later I was told 'it wouldn't have affected that' as DD said : it's as long as a piece of string!

Nic x
  • lizzy100
    lizzy100 Member Posts: 235
    Options
    it varies. it can last a couple of weeks to a couple of months. Hopefully it will help until the methotrexate kicks in. glad it helped you. If they think you need methotrexate it probably wouldnt get better on its on, but hopefully it will improve for you.