Not doing enough stair walking!

Options
JuliaHod12
JuliaHod12 Member Posts: 456
edited 27. Sep 2012, 07:04 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hmmm, well as you all know i'm one of the "new knee brigade"

I've been back at work (on a phased return) since 10th Sept and its been going well (or so i thought), except that I have had issues sitting at my desk for too long.

Anyway, after trying out 3 different chairs it was decided i should have a formal workstation assessment.
The chap arrived this morning, and assessed my workstation, got yet another chair and adjusted the height etc.........all fine so far........
Then we take a stroll around the building, and use the stairs to go to the Ground Floor..........thats where i realised i still have a problem!
I walked down 2 flights of stairs all at once.........and was in some pain by the time i reached the bottom! :-(
Clearly i need to fit in time to do this at least a couple of times each day!

Its amazing how doing one thing slightly out of routine has highlighted something i need to work on for a full recovery!

Julia

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Ah, stairs. I still do mine like a three year old going down, but I am working on the 'proper' way for going up as I want to strengthen my muscles. I am 'lucky' in that I llive in a house with two flights of narrow, steep stairs and I'm up and down the first flight all day long as our sitting room (where I am now) is on the first floor. As my muscles have become a little stronger I can now do the second flight, which is pleasing, but coming down is not. :wink:

So, while you are at work could you you go up and down the stairs at least once a day just for the exercise? These things can throw a curve ball at us so don't let it - rise to the challenge! How is work going, are you coping OK? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • JuliaHod12
    JuliaHod12 Member Posts: 456
    Options
    Hi DD

I can do the stairs going up fine, its just the down treads i am finding trickier...............and yes, i can fit it in during my working day......... a short stroll round every half hour or so will be fine.
    Aside from that i am still on a phased return (doing 5hrs each day instead of 7.5) and must admit to feeling tired by the end of it.
    Another 2 weeks on this regime and I will return to normal working.
    They are pretty good where i am so i will be fine x
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    Options
    I guess it's good that this has happened to highlight it before it becomes a major problem.

No wonder you're feeling tired, though. It's a big step returning to work.

I hope the chair helps.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • nicetomeetu
    nicetomeetu Member Posts: 63
    Options
    Yes, coming down the stairs, afraid I have to descend with both feet on one step at a time, like someone said like a 3 year old. Upstairs, on a bad I have to crawl on my knees on a good day feel the pain with every step but manage it just about. Walking up steep roads, my hip literally feels like it will pop out of its socket any time. Downhill painful too but not as bad.
  • pegleg
    pegleg Member Posts: 139
    Options
    Sounds like your doing well though :D , the stairs are my bugbear too , ok (ish) going up but cant come down "normally" , like my consultant said its still very early days and I think people think because your back at work your "better" ! , in fact just lately thats all Ive heard people say to me , "are you better yet " , yeah ask me again in 18 months !! :wink:
    I went into town yesterday , first time in 10 weeks , phew what hard work that was ! , I was shattered last night , so I think you going back to work is fantastic :D:D xx
  • arfaitis
    arfaitis Member Posts: 155
    Options
    I don't do stairs if I can help it!
    Well the reason is that back in 2000, I had both knees done in a month, after being in a wheelchair for 8 months. During the first month of the wheelchair phase, I bought a chair lift, and I use it all the time wherever I can, it carries things too, which is very handy.
    But I play badminton and table tennis and archery, and I do stairs anywhere else, running up and down like a two year old.
    I use lifts or escalators wherever I can, because I want to save my legs as much as possible for the things in life I enjoy.
    Because I am not going to get anymore at my age, so I just hope they last out.
    Hope that makes sense to you.

Arfa
  • frogmella
    frogmella Member Posts: 1,111
    Options
    Hi,

I can't comment on the stairs thing because I am not a knee person. But I just wanted to say that your work do sound great. It is so good that they have sorted you a workplace assessment so quickly. It does help when you feel supported. Also I am not surprised you are tired. Surgery takes it out of you for ages afterwards, I think you are doing great. Keep at the stairs!!

Helen
  • Helenbothknees
    Helenbothknees Member Posts: 487
    Options
    I'm fine on stairs, both up and down....and walking just about anywhere else too. But I'm still permanently exhausted; I doubt if I could manage a five hour working day...and I'm a couple of weeks 'ahead' of you, Julia. Seems to be different for all of us - but aren't we all loads, loads better than we were just a few short weeks ago!
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    One of the conditions for me coming out of hospital when I was diagnoised with Osteo-porosis was either I got a chairlift or I was to only use the stairs once each way. So when I came downstairs in the morning to when I go upstairs to bed in the evening. I'm trying to hold off on the stairlift, so do the latter. I do break the promise and do it a couple of times a day but I do feel the strain on my knees. I finder it much harder going up than down. And it is a slow process!
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Julia
    Like you say this has highlighted it for you, must say I dont like stairs but have no choice at the min.
    You really are doing well, and hopefully the stairs will get easier ,you carry on improving x
    Love
    Barbara