Anyone any tips

Options
villier
villier Member Posts: 4,426
edited 6. Oct 2012, 09:51 in Community Chit-chat archive
Hi everyone the dreaded day has arrived again when the bed needed changing after wrestling(wish I'd taken lessons) for about half an hour with the duvet cover, still had the pillow cases and sheet to put on, as we say in Scotland this is the bain o' my life.....lol with the arthritis and neuropathy in my hands I find it so difficult and painful has anyone any tips to make things easier please............Marie xx
Smile a while and while you smile
smile another smile and soon there
will be miles and miles of smiles
just because you smiled I wish your
day is full of Smiles

Comments

• villier
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    villier wrote:
    Hi everyone the dreaded day has arrived again when the bed needed changing after wrestling(wish I'd taken lessons) for about half an hour with the duvet cover, still had the pillow cases and sheet to put on, as we say in Scotland this is the bain o' my life.....lol with the arthritis and neuropathy in my hands I find it so difficult and painful has anyone any tips to make things easier please............Marie xx

Duh!!!!!!!!!!! posted on the wrong page
    day is full of Smiles
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Options
    Moved this topic from 'Say Hello' to CC....
    :D ModeratorIA
  • villier
    Options
    Moderator wrote:
    Moved this topic from 'Say Hello' to CC....
    :D ModeratorIA

Thank you very much have had my diddy hat on all day today....lol not joking
    day is full of Smiles
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,417
    Options
    Pay the kids??? :?

Serioulsy I do try to engage one of them to help these days and always put the duvet on inside out (if you know what I mean?)as it's easier that way.

Ah AND I have a top and bottom sheet so I change them and pillowcases every week duvet covers every 2 :D

Love and luck

Toni xxx
  • Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    Options
    Yes I agree with Toni, get someone else to do it if you can. I don't think there's an easy way to do it, but I'll watch this thread just in case someone comes up with one. :wink:
  • villier
    Options
    Thanks Numpty do love the name.........tc........Marie xx
    day is full of Smiles
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    The fitted sheet and pillow cases are failry straightforward but the cover? A whole different ball game.

I spread the cover out on the bed, then feed in one corner of the duvet and fix it with a clothes peg. Rest and pant a bit, then do the same with the opposite corner. Rest and pant a bit, maybe wander into the sitting room and log on here to see if anything has happened. Then return to bedroom, locate a bottom corner, peg, RAPAB, then the opposite corner, peg, RAPAB, then summon up some energy to shake it all about. Remove the bottom pegs and do up every third popper or button, then remove the top pegs. Replace pegs in a drawer until the mext time. RAPAB. :wink: This can take a few hours or can be done fairly quickly - it all depends on how things are going on that particular day. We also have a superking duvet (on a king-sized bed) as he does the whole clamping-with-an-arm-bit-so-he-is-a-caterpillar. It's a big duvet. :roll: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • villier
    Options
    Awe DD you have made my night just lmao tears running down my face thanks for the tip and cheering me up.....tc.....Marie xx
    day is full of Smiles
  • Petitesse
    Petitesse Member Posts: 62
    Options
    Hmm...I can see why this would be a problem for many with bad arthritis. They don't make the covers easy to put on. :(

I have been thinking about it and got the idea to have a friend alter the covers. Cutting them up so they open at 3 sides. Then the cover can be laid out open on the bed, the duvet placed on top of one half and the other half just folded over. The method of closing it could be whatever is easiest like push studs or velcro.

Then I googled it and saw there are actually covers made like that for people with short arms or arthritis, but I find them quite expensive. There are covers that open on 3 sides with push studs and zippers.

It would be great if you know someone with a sewing machine who could alter your covers instead, wouldn't even be too hard to do.
    I wish I lived near you, I would have been more than happy to do that.
  • villier
    Options
    Awe thanks Petitesse that is so kind of you..........I have thought about the open three sides before which would certainly make life a lot easier but being unemployed I cound't afford to buy ready made ones, at least I know there is bedding out there that I can buy when I win the lottery....lol thanks again.........tc.........Marie xx
    day is full of Smiles
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Marie
    Like DD I use the pegs....either that or hubby does it...I always knew he would come into his own...bless x
    Love
    Barbara
  • villier
    Options
    barbara12 wrote:
    Hi Marie
    Like DD I use the pegs....either that or hubby does it...I always knew he would come into his own...bless x

Thanks Barbara Hahaha only thing is I got rid of mine 12 years ago.......tc....Marie xx
    day is full of Smiles
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I remember reading about those duvets that open on three sides and my thought was they would probably be even harder to deal with - I can see me going head-over-heels on the bit that's trailing on the floor. :roll: I'm glad I raised a smile - I now must confront our fitted bottom sheet as my ankles have been leaking the red stuff thanks to the psoriasis. So, shift some bedding, RAPAB, remove sheet, dig out clean one (that can be done in either order) RAPAB, fit sheet then return displaced bedding. Repeat tomorrow - or wear socks in bed. Phwoar! It's Mr DD's lucky night! :wink: DD
  • villier
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    I remember reading about those duvets that open on three sides and my thought was they would probably be even harder to deal with - I can see me going head-over-heels on the bit that's trailing on the floor. :roll: I'm glad I raised a smile - I now must confront our fitted bottom sheet as my ankles have been leaking the red stuff thanks to the psoriasis. So, shift some bedding, RAPAB, remove sheet, dig out clean one (that can be done in either order) RAPAB, fit sheet then return displaced bedding. Repeat tomorrow - or wear socks in bed. Phwoar! It's Mr DD's lucky night! :wink: DD

Ooooooooh DD my neice has PsA and know what she goes through.....take it easy now you forgot to mention the resting and panting hope Mr DD doesn't read this what with the socks as well he will be thinking it IS his lucky night :wink: hahaha .....all joking aside hope you are feeling a bit better within youself now......tc.....Marie xx
    day is full of Smiles
  • kentishlady
    kentishlady Member Posts: 809
    Options
    Hi all. I struggle when it comes to changing the duvet cover too - glad I'm not the only one who finds it difficult and a real pain! Husbands do come in handy sometimes, but as I am on my own now don't have that option. Hadn't heard about the duvet covers for arthritis sufferers. Shall have to try and find out more info, although if they are very expensive that might put paid to the idea! Paid a visit to my GP yesterday to discuss further options for pain relief. Asked her when they were doing flu jabs this year. "You can have yours now," she replied. Was fine until earlier this morning but exactly 24 hrs after having jab am now feeling decidedly 'off colour', hot/cold, shaky and headachey too. Just to add to pain in back which has also decided to be awkward today. Oh well, good excuse not to do much in the way of housework for the rest of the day! Hope you are getting along a little better now DD. Idea about putting a plant in garden in memory of your MIL is great. I planted a Rose bush when I lost my parents and also send a donation to Woodland Trust to have a tree planted. Take care and go easy on yourself. Try and remember all the good times. I know it's easy to say but very hard to do. Kentish Lady
  • villier
    Options
    Hi KL sorry to hear after your flu jab you are feeling out of sorts, hope you feel better soon and it doesn't spoil your weekend.......tc.........Marie
    day is full of Smiles
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    It's good you've had the flu jab, kentishlady, and I hope things have now settled down. I've never had any trouble with the jab (I think I have mine next week, I must remember to check) - I don't think you can 'catch' the flu from the injection but it might allow a nascent cold to come out. Sometimes we cannot win, yes?

Hello villier, I have to change our bed but I'm not bothering with that today. I'm not bothering with anything today. Simples. 8) DD