Anyone on ESA?

nicetomeetu
nicetomeetu Member Posts: 63
edited 29. Sep 2012, 06:27 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi everyone,

I was just wondering if anybody on here has applied for and was rejected or is claiming ESA at the moment. If you could tell me a little about it. How did you find it, the form filling and what is your experience of it?

Thank you for your time, as always much appreciated. A friend of mine scared me by saying I was better off on job seekers and how now I will be made to jump through even more hoops and have advisor appointments each week etc etc

:) xxxx

Comments

• skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Nicetomeetu

I have not the guts to go for ESA and be honest I struggle with being self employed and so have a job....

There are a lot of folk on it and hopefully someone will be able to help but have a look here http://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/Search/search_results_page_view?SearchableText=ESA

and also there is some really, really, really good advice here

http://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/forums/post443245.html#p443245

I still think your better getting help from the CAB or Dial with the forms but good luck and hope it will be successful. Cris x
  • nicetomeetu
    Hi Cris,

I had a restless night thinking about what I am going to do.

Thank you so much for going to all that trouble to find the relevant links for me. Gosh it's very complex the route to ESA. I am thinking of perhaps going back on job seekers. Even though I feel I am entitled to extra help, esp for taxis I haven't got the strength to fight. I heard the tests they do for ESA automatically put people in the fit for work category, hence claim for job seekers anyway.

What a mess

Hey once again thank you xx :(
  • deedeeitsme
    deedeeitsme Member Posts: 321
    Hi there....I went onto esa after being off work sick for 28 weeks. I had a letter from work telling me they were no longer paying me sick pay and to claim esa. There was a contact number with the letter which I rang and they filled the form in over the phone. I have been on it since february (you have to send regular sick notes)and I have never seen an advisor or had to go to the jobcentre, but I did have to go for a medical in july and was told I was fit for work but I am in the process of appeal (you still get paid esa while your appeal goes through but you have to state on your letter of appeal that you still want to be paid esa at the accessment rate while they are considering your appeal) I have had an appeal pack now and have been told it could be at least 23 weeks before I get an appeal date. I am claimimg contribution based esa as my husbands earning are too much for me to claim income based and it stops in february anyway so by the time my appeal comes up my money will be stopped. Ring the dwp they will advice you or better still get in touch with CAB or welfare rights for more info x Dee x
  • deedeeitsme
    deedeeitsme Member Posts: 321
    Just read your other thread, sorry for doing thing backwards!! Have you got your sick note now? If your advisor has suggested that you go onto esa then they should help you with the forms. Please let us know how you get on yes? x Dee x
  • nicetomeetu
    Hi Dee

I have to get sick note from my doc next week. Meantime I have been self signed off for a week. If that makes sense.

The more I hear about ESA the less I like it. Why can't they make the process simpler. All I wanted was to see the disability advisor, with the hope they would ease my sign on agreement at the job centre, but as I am on the work programme I couldn't.

I haven't got the strength for ESA so I am going to ring job centre and ask to be put back on job seekers.

xx :(