Flu Jab

Options
arfaitis
arfaitis Member Posts: 155
edited 8. Oct 2012, 04:59 in Community Chit-chat archive
Both the wife and I had our flu jabs this morning.
There was a queue a mile long to get it done, do they know something I don't, are we in for a bad flu period, certainly hope not.
Are you going to have the jab??

Arfa

Comments

• marrianne
    marrianne Member Posts: 1,161
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hope you and your wife dont feel poorlyArfa,my o/h has been offered it via a letter ,I havent though he is older than me .Marrianne :)
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    My OH and I are suppose to have the flu jab but after both getting very sick with the flu a few years ago after having the flu jab we both decided to opt out of having it and since yes we do get the flu but not as bad as the flu we got after having the flu jab!
  • diamond
    diamond Member Posts: 396
    Options
    Hope you get no after effects i have my jab next week.
  • arfaitis
    Options
    Well so far nothing at all, I have even been to archery this afternoon.

Arfa
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    Options
    I got my letter to go but haven't made an appointment yet. I've had it for the last 3 years with no side effects. I was told the flu jab didn't give symptoms. If you get flu after it, you already had it. Just the symptoms weren't showing yet.
    Christine
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    I received a letter a few days ago with a date for me to go for the jab. Although not 65 yet, my gp presumably has decided that I am in the "at risk group" as stated in the letter.

I did go see him in March/April this year with an annoying dry cough that lingered after a cold and had some tests which all came back negative.He prescribed a nasal spray and insisted I used it daily for three months which I did.

I can only think as this is the last report on my notes, he read this and decided I should have the jab .......... hope I do not suffer with any side effects of flu as a result of having the jab.

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • arfaitis
    Options
    elnafinn wrote:
    I received a letter a few days ago with a date for me to go for the jab. Although not 65 yet, my gp presumably has decided that I am in the "at risk group" as stated in the letter.

I did go see him in March/April this year with an annoying dry cough that lingered after a cold and had some tests which all came back negative.He prescribed a nasal spray and insisted I used it daily for three months which I did.

I can only think as this is the last report on my notes, he read this and decided I should have the jab .......... hope I do not suffer with any side effects of flu as a result of having the jab.

Elna x

There are quite a few drugs that leave you with a dry cough, MTX and ramapril both leave me with a cough, so GP changed ramapril, but obviously can't change MTX.

Arfa
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    Options
    I'm having it, always do and I've never had side effects. Booked in for a couple of weeks time.
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • numptynora
    numptynora Member Posts: 782
    Options
    I've had it for the last few years but it will have to wait till I come back this year, (as long as I don't get afflicted while I'm away) lol
    Numps x
    Pets come into our lives, and then leave paw-prints on our hearts.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I've had one for years due to my asthma, I was always reminded by the surgery but now I have to ask for it because, although the meth and humira are on my notes as the GP doesn't prescribe them I have to write in stating my reasons why I need the jab. (Due to the immuno-suppressants I don't order my asthma meds ofetn enough. :roll: ) I've never had any trouble with it though. I'm booked in for mid-October. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    arfaitis wrote:
    elnafinn wrote:

Elna x

There are quite a few drugs that leave you with a dry cough, MTX and ramapril both leave me with a cough, so GP changed ramapril, but obviously can't change MTX.

Arfa

You are right, quite a few drugs can leave one with a dry cough, another one being a med for high BP. The GP and I decided I should come off the Lisinopril 2.5 mg for that reason and I was prescribed Amlodipine 5mg tabs. I was on them for 6 weeks, still had the irritating dry cough so went back on the Lisinopril.

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    Mine is booked for the 20th november :D

I have had it for a good few years now. It normally makes my arm ache and sore the next day and for a few days after but not to worry :) better than having a terrible flu. I also had the pneumonia jab when I started with the flu jab. I think that lasts 10 years so I had better check that too.

Juliepf x
  • applerose
    Options
    The last 2 I have had contained the 'bird flu' vaccine. Wonder if they all will from now on. I like to know what they are injecting me with. They didn't tell me last time. I had to ask.
    Christine
  • scribbler
    scribbler Member Posts: 54
    Options
    My husband and I are having our flu jabs on Saturday. We've had them for the last few years and never had any problems. Our only complaint has been the length of the queues and the system of block booking at the surgery where everyone seems to be booked for the same time.
    I notice our local pharmacy is now offering flu jabs on demand. No charge as far as I know.
  • Turbogran
    Turbogran Member Posts: 2,023
    Options
    Have had mine never have any problems with it had them for many years now due to Asthma. although this year our surgery are not giving it to all asthmatics I got mine because i'm 65 soon. :roll:
    Stay positive always👍xx
  • rondetto
    rondetto Member Posts: 2,526
    Options
    We have ours this Saturday. Never been ill after it, but I do know a few who have had heavy colds after, maybe coincidence though.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    I will be having mine, Im not 65 yet...62...but they offered it to me last year because of all the meds I am on...I just had a slightly sore arm...much better than flu.
    Love
    Barbara
  • RitaW
    RitaW Member Posts: 83
    Options
    Had mine today and have a very sore arm.It usually hurts for a few days though. :)
    R.A. FMS IBS RLS IGD with honours.
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    Options
    I'm meant to have one but you can keep it, when I was at harwell the lads use to go mob handed over to medical for there's and they always got colds after it, I'll take my chances eating out of tins and wearing a rubber suit and a mask, well each to there own I think a pink mankini and a black leather studded gimp mask looks quite nice especially when I'm wearing stilettoes!. :shock:
  • ruby2
    ruby2 Member Posts: 423
    Options
    Got letter for mine....never had one before.....not had flu for 11 years!
    What shall I do?.......cold and flu wise I do o.k.... stomach bugs I catch more easily.... Dilemma don't want even the cold flu jab may generate!
    Ruby
  • arfaitis
    Options
    mellman01 wrote:
    I'm meant to have one but you can keep it, when I was at harwell the lads use to go mob handed over to medical for there's and they always got colds after it, I'll take my chances eating out of tins and wearing a rubber suit and a mask, well each to there own I think a pink mankini and a black leather studded gimp mask looks quite nice especially when I'm wearing stilettoes!. :shock:

It cant give you anything really other than a sore arm, rest assured those fellows had the cold coming already before the injection, the flu virus is dead it is not active.
    I want a picture of the rubber suit and mask, mind you a pink mankini and black leather studded gimp mask would be much better. :lol:

Arfa
  • applerose
    Options
    Colds and flu are 2 different viruses. The flu jab doesn't give people colds or flu. It can't because there is no live virus in the vaccine. Some people may feel a little achey but this is not flu. There are different flus around each year. That is why we need to get vaccinated every year. This year's vaccine is to protect against swine flu, bird flu and a strain which was around in 2009 and is set to come back this winter.
    Christine
  • diamond
    diamond Member Posts: 396
    Options
    Had my jab yesterday ok apart from sore arm should be better tomorrow.
  • applerose
    Options
    That's me done. Arm doesn't hurt, although I think it did a bit the day after last year.
    Christine
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    Had mine 1st Oct and have had a bad cold ever since. However I blame the mtx as I've restarted it after a break. I seem to be susceptible to colds.

elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein