What an inspiration!

Options
joanlawson
joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
edited 11. Dec 2012, 18:35 in Community Chit-chat archive
My best friend is my neighbour who will soon celebrate her 89th birthday in November. She has had a great deal of ill-health in her life, including operations for heart disease, arthritis, and cancer, but she always seems to manage to come through and stay positive, no matter what.

Last week I was telling her about an exercise class which I was planning to attend, which is mainly chair-based, but has some elements of Tai-Chi, Yoga, and Pilates. To my amazement, she announced that she would like to come with me, so off we went!

It turned out to be a very popular class, with women of all ages, but my friend was by far the oldest woman there. She has never been to an exercise class of any kind before, but she amazed everyone, including the instructor! The exercise lasted 45 minutes, and it was quite energetic, although enjoyable as it was accompanied by music. At the end, we did some relaxation techniques which were very enjoyable too.

My friend is now very enthusiastic to carry on with the class, so it proves that you are never too old for exercise.
She is such an inspiration to me and everyone who meets her!

Joan :D
c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif

Comments

• julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    What an amazing friend joan

can I borrow her to inspire me :lol:

Love Juliepf x
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    Options
    Yes, she would inspire me too, Joan. Obviously she's the sort that takes life's knocks on the chin and ensures she makes the most of what she has. Luckily she also has a kind neighbour :wink: I hope you both get a great deal from the class.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Gosh Joan she sounds a wonderful lady, could be doing with borrowing her myself.........Marie xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,927
    Options
    Hello Joan
    thank you for saying about your lovely neighbour i was wondering how she was she is a lovely friend to have.
    take care both and tommy and venus.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • arfaitis
    arfaitis Member Posts: 155
    Options
    Joan I am a volunteer for our local council, and you would be amazed at the age of some of the folks we get to our classes.
    We do do a Tai Chi chair based exercise, we call Chai Chi, it certainly gets you moving again after heart ops etc. Up till last year we had a guy still playing badminton at 93, we still play with well over 80's, and they don't just pat the shuttle over the net, they run for everything, some of them put me to shame at 74.

Arfa
  • joanlawson
    Options
    Thank you for all your replies, Julie, SW, Marie, Joan and Arfa :D

I always tell my friend that if I live as long as her, I hope I will be like her, especially in her positive attitude to life.
    She is totally independent and still drives her car, despite all the serious illnesses she has overcome.
    She is my mentor in life, my role-model, and above all, my dearest friend.

Arfa, that's wonderful to know that so many older people are taking part in exercise and sport these days. I love the idea of Chai Chi :D

My grandparents seemed really old when they were only in their sixties, and I can't imagine them doing any kind of sport. Things have changed so much now, and they say that 60 is the new 40, so I guess that 90 must be the new 70 :lol:

With so many people living longer, I expect that we'll get used to seeing more centenarians in the gym etc. I hope that I'm one of them :D

Joan :D
  • arfaitis
    arfaitis Member Posts: 155
    Options
    Joan said :--so I guess that 90 must be the new 70

I like that Joan, I will mention that Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday Thursday, and Friday, yes that's right they come from all corners of the town to do exercise, everyday.

Arfa
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Tody wrote:
    Love is inspirational, not excercise.

I don't think it's an either/or, Tody, but I think you have misunderstood what Joan wrote. She was inspired not by exercise but by the fact that a lady who is almost 90 has such a zest for life and I agree with her that that is inspirational. I know that if, like Joan, I was giving a lift to someone of that age to get her to the same exercise class as me, then I would certainly be giving my all at the exercises. The lady would have inspired me to try harder.
    Steven Wright
  • stickywicket
    Options
    I think that's rather sad, Tody.

Joggers, cyclists, horseriders are all individuals. Some are nice, others aren't. Some are sensible, others aren't. I used to ride horses. I assure you I never put any life at risk. I have seen many motorists put horseriders' lives at risk by reckless overtaking but I don't therefore dislike motorists. I probably wouldn't dislike the reckless ones if I knew more about them. We all have our good points and our bad ones.

I'm pretty sure I won't live to be 90 but I'll have a damn good try and I applaud anyone who tries to keep themselves fit and healthy whatever their age.
    Steven Wright
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Oddly enough, Tody, from my observations as a horse-rider, I’ve noticed that NOT all horse-riders are women.

Of those I have ridden with – David H and David L were not women; Paul wasn’t a woman; Mick, Danny, Peter and Richard were all men. I can assure you none of them saw themselves as princesses.

Actually, quite a lot of roads were built for horses and carts, not cars.
    Steven Wright
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    I don't agree with having horses on main roads but that's cos I'm scared of em.. I wouldn't just come out with some ridiculous statement about people I dint know... Apart from cyclists, og, and students.. Cycling students are the worst :shock: However...... I wouldn't join in a thread about a wonderful lady giving her all at a brilliant age and start going off on one just to get a reaction... Crazy....

Joan, I know how much your friend means to you and I also know how inspired you are by her..
    She sounds great.... :D
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • joanlawson
    Options
    Thanks Tony :D

I couldn't go to the exercise class last week, but my friend went without me. She is really enthusiastic now and has put both our names down for next week, so there can be no slacking on my part.
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Who do you acquaint yourself with Todds?
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • Boris125
    Boris125 Member Posts: 5
    Options
    You have a good friend who has a good technique to inspire you for a a healthy and fit life.
    You should care your friend and help her in all matters.
  • wall1409
    wall1409 Member Posts: 294
    Options
    Wow thats really inspiring, where's my just dance from WII game :lol:
  • holliesfan
    holliesfan Member Posts: 5
    Options
    A friend like that would inspire me to, sometimes I think you need someone to give you a push, just to get yourself moving again and those classes sound great. I must check up after xmas to see if any exist round here.
    Horses frighten me too, just their size more than anything but I do admire anyone who can get up and ride one, in traffic in a field or forest :)
  • Colin1
    Colin1 Member Posts: 1,769
    Options
    Tony i must tell you about the time a horse ran away with me and i could not stop it oh i just did.
    Anyway Joan i'm with you i just cant spell insperational because i never went to school
    Colin
    WHEN GOD GIVES YOU LEMONS MAKE LEMONADE