Down in Minor Injuries yesterday

Options
stickywicket
stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
edited 2. Oct 2012, 09:43 in Community Chit-chat archive
It was crowded. Most were in various items of sportswear. There was the lad with the squashed, swelling ear (rugby), the cyclist with the cut eye (came off bike), the young footballer with the possible broken finger, the young hockey player with the damaged shoulder, the young man hopping in agony to X-ray, the youth whose 'friend' had 'accidently' trodden on his hand, the child who'd got his finger stuck in the door, the woman with learning difficulties who insisted on sitting on the floor in the corner, the old lady and her daughter, the former explaining how she'd come to fall and the latter complaining in horror "You never told me all that!" "I didn't want to worry you" - and me.

It was mayhem.

"Is it always like this, I asked?"

"It is at weekends" the receptionist replied, "except if there's a big football match on the T.V." :shock:

Can anyone explain that to me?
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
Steven Wright

Comments

• LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    No but it sounds fabulous fun! I had two ballet dancers in A&E one time I was there, they knew how to hop in style. It's a fascinating for people watching that kind of place!
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    Options
    Have I missed something? Why were you in minor injuries?
    Were any of the various items of sportswear lycra?
  • numptynora
    numptynora Member Posts: 782
    Options
    Do they sell tickets? it sounds better than TV..lol

I'm sorry if that sounds glib but the system in the NHS seems to have been led by someone on speed, how stupid, to have to go outside and ring for an apt.

Numps x
    Numps x
    Pets come into our lives, and then leave paw-prints on our hearts.
  • joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    Options
    Presumably more people stay at home watching TV when there's a big football match on, so are less likely to injure themselves playing other sports. However, they say that most accidents happen in the home, so it doesn't quite add up.

We are still anxious to know why you were there, SW :?:

I know that Sundays can be a bit boring on occasions, but that was taking things a little too far for entertainment :lol:
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • stickywicket
    Options
    joanlawson wrote:
    Presumably more people stay at home watching TV when there's a big football match on, so are less likely to injure themselves playing other sports.

I'm not sure, Joan. My elder son's sporting fixtures were never curtailed due to national or international sporting events. I just had visions of parents saying "Yes, darling, I know your ankle is bleeding heavily and seems broken. I'll take you to hospital as soon as the match finishes." :lol:

Mine was mere, boring cellulitis. Got the antibios.

Numpty - You don't think this lycra obsession is getting a bit...er...obsessive? If I said yes would you be haring down to Minor Injuries???

I think I embarrassed the young lad with the rugby ear. He said to Mr SW "I think these people are all here with rugby injuries." "I'm not" I said, "but I'd like to be."

The woman in the corner at one point removed her scarf and blew her nose vigorously into it.

Entertaining, yes, but it was good to get back to the Ryder Cup, the Sauvignon Blanc and normality.
    Steven Wright
  • suzygirl
    suzygirl Member Posts: 2,005
    Options
    At least they had proper injuries, Sticky. Whenever I have been in A & E with either my son and his asthma or more lately myself in an ambulance. I get told how we are the only genuine case as the bloke over there has an ingrowing toe nail, etc etc.

It appears some people have no better way to spend their time than misusing the NHS resources. The paramedics had a whole host of funny stories, ranging from a woman who couldn't get a taxi so called them to drop her at the pub :shock: To a man who called them out to fix his leaking tap :shock:

Seriously :o
  • stickywicket
    Options
    They were definitely genuine injuries but I have heard the hospital transport people complaining about misuse of their service. One couple had disappeared - turned out they'd taken the opportunity of being in town to go shopping :shock:
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Must say I have spent many an hour in A&E with my parents then my brother..just wish I had taken notes it could have been a best seller...hope you are feeling better sticky..x
    Love
    Barbara