Kindle Questions

Options
tillytop
tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
edited 15. Oct 2012, 18:09 in Community Chit-chat archive
I know from Bubbadog's "Book Club" thread that there are a number of Kindle owners out there.

So just wondered if anyone else has a problem with the "font-size" on their Kindle? I have a basic model Kindle and I bought it because I wanted to be able to read in large print. But I have noticed that the font-size option does different things for different books and for most of the books I have bought since I had the Kindle the text size is either too small for me to read or ridiculously large - ie two or three words per line and there is nothing in between. A wise friend and fellow forum member (you know who you are :lol: ) suggested that the font sizes just double as they get bigger, so the difference between the sizes at the lower end of the scale are much smaller and by the time you get to the larger fonts the differences are huge. Which doesn't help those of us trying to read in large print. :roll: Apparently this is a "known" problem affecting only some models and Kindle say they are "working on it" . But the cynic in me thinks they won't be "working on it" very hard because I think it is the more basic models which are affected and they are busy launching new whizzier versions!

Mr Tilly has offered (bless his cotton socks) to buy me a "fancier" Kindle and he will use mine but I don't want him to shell out on a more expensive model only to find that it has the same problem. So any feedback would be much appreciated.

On a more positive note - is it just me who didn't realise you can return Kindle books for refund within 7 days if you change your mind? :roll: I have bought several books where the samples were too short (or taken up with publishing information and acknowledgements) and have been disappointed with the book when I started reading. But I found out quite by accident that you can return them online "at the click of a button". I tried this for the first time recently and it is so easy! Thought I would share this in case there were others who didn't know.

Thanks peeps.

Tilly xxx

PS: Bubbadog - I think your "Book Club" thread is a brilliant idea and I plan to join in once I can find a way to read my Kindle! :lol:

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello Tilly, it's nice to see you on here again. I think we have the same model of Kindle, don't we? The Kindle4? I too have noticed that the font size / style varies from book to book but I guess that just reflects 'real' books. I am not sure whether this problem you are finding would just be replicated with another Kindle, albeit a whizzier one. All I can suggest is that before Mr TT shells out in hope would it be worth your going to a PC World or somewhere similar where they may have one you could try out? Actually, come to think of it one of my mums has the new Kindle Touch - I will give her a ring and see if she can help. I will report back via a PM, OK?

As for the refund - no, I didn't know that so thank you for passing that on! I started keeping a list of what was paid for and what was free but I gave that up (indolence again, my biggest enemy). Your lazy friend, DD.
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • fowls48
    fowls48 Member Posts: 1,357
    Options
    Hi Tilly

I have not got a kindle but Mr f Brought me a ZT Android tablet which i have all of my books downloaded onto .It can make the print larger or smaller , The android is just as good as the ipad and cheaper .

regards
    Fowls xx
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    tillytop wrote:
    I know from Bubbadog's "Book Club" thread that there are a number of Kindle owners out there.

So just wondered if anyone else has a problem with the "font-size" on their Kindle? I have a basic model Kindle and I bought it because I wanted to be able to read in large print. But I have noticed that the font-size option does different things for different books and for most of the books I have bought since I had the Kindle the text size is either too small for me to read or ridiculously large - ie two or three words per line and there is nothing in between. A wise friend and fellow forum member (you know who you are :lol: ) suggested that the font sizes just double as they get bigger, so the difference between the sizes at the lower end of the scale are much smaller and by the time you get to the larger fonts the differences are huge. Which doesn't help those of us trying to read in large print. :roll: Apparently this is a "known" problem affecting only some models and Kindle say they are "working on it" . But the cynic in me thinks they won't be "working on it" very hard because I think it is the more basic models which are affected and they are busy launching new whizzier versions!

Mr Tilly has offered (bless his cotton socks) to buy me a "fancier" Kindle and he will use mine but I don't want him to shell out on a more expensive model only to find that it has the same problem. So any feedback would be much appreciated.

On a more positive note - is it just me who didn't realise you can return Kindle books for refund within 7 days if you change your mind? :roll: I have bought several books where the samples were too short (or taken up with publishing information and acknowledgements) and have been disappointed with the book when I started reading. But I found out quite by accident that you can return them online "at the click of a button". I tried this for the first time recently and it is so easy! Thought I would share this in case there were others who didn't know.

Thanks peeps.

Tilly xxx

PS: Bubbadog - I think your "Book Club" thread is a brilliant idea and I plan to join in once I can find a way to read my Kindle! :lol:

Thank you for those kind words tilly, I set up the 'Book Club' topic thinking only a few people would like it, I had know Idea how big it would become! I'm glad so many of you love it and tilly I look forward to you joining us when you sort out your Kindle problem. I will check out my Kindle and see if I can help in anyway.
  • tillytop
    Options
    Thanks Peeps for your thoughts and suggestions and offers of "research"! Much appreciated.

I will do some further investigating and see what I can come up with. Fowls I am glad your tablet works well for you. Do you find it heavy though? My concern about anything larger or heavier than my current Kindle is the difficulty holding it. I have used an IPAD recently (not mine) and I find it very hard on the "ole wrists and hands". I think that even the new generation Kindles are bigger and heavier. Mmmmm. More research needed methinks! I can feel a trip to PC World coming on.

Thanks again.

Tillyxxx
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Don't forget to take a flask and sarnies - make a day of it! :lol: Seriously, I think that would be a good move and I hope you have a branch near you. I am pursuing my own line of enquiry but with no result as yet. :oops: DD
  • tillytop
    Options
    :lol::lol::lol:

The "flask and sarnies" idea may be a good one DD - haven't been out the house for a week (except for blood tests on Tuesday :roll: ) so cabin fever has well and truly set in!

Please don't even give your "research" a thought at the mo DD - you have too much else going on.

Tilly xxx
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,482
    Options
    Mmm....

I had noticed the size on mine varies according to the book Tilly.

I have an I-don't-know which model kindle. With a keyboard wireless one if that helps.

I have leant, (honestly), my kindle to my stepdaughter to read 'before I wake up' while I read some 'real' books leant to me by a friend. When Iget it back I will have a look at some of the books on it and see....Surprising how hard it is to read a book now :oops:

Love

k030.gif Toni xxx
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Decadent? No, it's not that, it's practical. I like mine for the fact I can carry around 1400 books in one go (holiday packing is much easier now), I like the fact I can alter the font size to help my tired 'evening' eyes and my achy hands and fingers love the fact that I no longer have to hold and manipulate heavy books. It's also easier to read at night with its little light and the matt screen reduces eye strain. I love books (they do furnish a room) but the Kindle is a boon as is any other e-reader. As for 50 - enough already! :lol: DD
  • fowls48
    fowls48 Member Posts: 1,357
    Options
    tillytop wrote:
    Thanks Peeps for your thoughts and suggestions and offers of "research"! Much appreciated.

I will do some further investigating and see what I can come up with. Fowls I am glad your tablet works well for you. Do you find it heavy though? My concern about anything larger or heavier than my current Kindle is the difficulty holding it. I have used an IPAD recently (not mine) and I find it very hard on the "ole wrists and hands". I think that even the new generation Kindles are bigger and heavier. Mmmmm. More research needed methinks! I can feel a trip to PC World coming on.

Thanks again.

Tillyxxx
    Hi Tilly

I must admit i do find it a bit heavy i am waiting to find out if i can get some sort of gadget(strap) that can fix on the back and i can slip my hands through .I have seen jake humphrey with one (commompatatoe )for bbc , i will let you know how i get on .

Fowls xx
  • RitaW
    RitaW Member Posts: 83
    Options
    I have ordered the new Kindle fire and it will be delivered on release on 25th of this month.I can't wait. :) There are a few books I want to download already. :)
    R.A. FMS IBS RLS IGD with honours.
  • tillytop
    Options
    Thanks peeps for your replies, suggestions and offers to look at the font sizing on their Kindles.

Fowls, good luck with finding a support. Hope you can find something which works for you.

Rita - hope you enjoy your Kindle when you get it.

Thanks again!

Tilly xxx
  • Susanjanemoon1957
    Susanjanemoon1957 Member Posts: 6
    Options
    Ohh I don't have a kindle, but use an iPad 3 the font size on there is brilliant, however am reading the fifty shades trilogy in book form, not however in public he he but must admit it does not do my wrists much good holding the actual books. But then again it wouldn't do the battery power much good on my iPad either............once started you can't put it down. Susan x
    :oops:
    Susan xxx